Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

JoeA3 wrote: »

The Atlantic Blue one they have looks fantastic though. The 'R' logo on the Estoril wheels though would probably stick out like a sore thumb to me on a GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'm surprised these still only use what looks like two pot calipers for a meaty enough disc upfront.

Screenshot-20210301-231758.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

OSI wrote: »
    Hankooks? Hmmm... Another set of factory tyres I’d be replacing within a month.

Hankook have some very decent tyres, definitely better than the Bridgestone that came on the MK7. But I tend to agree, on a premium car like that you'd expect Michelin PS4S or Goodyear SuperSports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

The new red is awesome, I’d absolutely love that.

New R is not too shabby at the old 0-100 trick with Mr Watson on carwow today.

Incredible performance.

Shows that the change is the some of all the parts, as it's still very similar in power/weight/drive train to the mk7 but all the little tweaks add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I know they're very expensive here but 0-100 in 4 seconds is serious performance from a small hatchback that's also a stock daily driver.

The handling and driving is getting a lot of praise in the new models too, must be a lovely machine to drive.

The 7.5 model R did it in around 4.5 so it's not a massive leap forward. But I can imagine when these are tuned that they will be seriously quick cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

hooch-85 wrote: »
    The 7.5 model R did it in around 4.5 so it's not a massive leap forward. But I can imagine when these are tuned that they will be seriously quick cars.

Another way of looking at it is it’s a 15 grand price increase for a couple of tenths off the 0-60!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

hooch-85 wrote: »

At 11 seconds to 10 seconds maybe not massive but at 4.5 to 4 it’s a considerable increase.

Ah don't get me wrong I know it is. The way it walked away from the 135i and A35 AMG was definitely impressive. The extra torque makes a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would a stage 1 mk7 take a standard mk8

It's 10% quicker. I know half a second is feck all but at the end of diminishing returns 10% is massive I would have thought.

0-100 isn't really a practical measure of a car anyway, but nice pub talk.....if they ever open.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    It's 10% quicker. I know half a second is feck all but at the end of diminishing returns 10% is massive I would have thought.

0-100 isn't really a practical measure of a car anyway, but nice pub talk.....if they ever open.

When the Mk7.5 first came out I got to tear the arse of out of a R around a small track made in Wilton airport. That’s a great test of a car lol

Would a stage 1 mk7 take a standard mk8

A Revo Stage 1 Mk7 is 350-375ps depending on fuel quality, etc so it would.

I remember in 2015 a vw employee hinted that vw Ireland were considering rewarding R/GTi buyers with a track day type event some PR stuff. I guess they sold that many they had no need to and it never materialised.
    I ended up doing a half day session on a very wet December that year then. Would love to live closer to a track. There was chat about a major development happening in Tyrone a couple of years ago but it fell through.
    20151205-125054.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Torrent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

SaintsYB wrote: »
    The Atlantic Blue one they have looks fantastic though. The 'R' logo on the Estoril wheels though would probably stick out like a sore thumb to me on a GTI.

What's the reason for the 'R' logo on the Estoril wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The red really looks fantastic. The black wheels look cool but I think if I was buying I'd still get the regular Estoril wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

To piss us off! Haha! I spec'd the Adelaide's on the Moonstone Clubsport that I ordered but I changed today to the black Estorils. I'll possibly fill in the R logo. Just seems wrong to have an R part on a GTI. Not as bad on a normal golf or R Line etc.

The Estorils do a great job of showing off the big brakes on the Clubby. See the pic on Joe Duffy's Instagram page today...

Probably the same as BMW putting M logos on their wheels. Just marketing their top brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They were originally supposed to be R-specific but I guess the marketing guys decided otherwise. I think they’re the nicest looking of the available options though, R logo or not.

• Advertisement

The standard R wheels aren't bad but the Estoril wheels are savage. Nice to see a wheel that isn't chunky or have black accents around them, just lots of brake on show and no filler.

Real shame there's no 18" version given the VRT situation, I believe Germany has an 18" Pret...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Watching that volkswizard fella trying to convince him self that the 8 will be better after him picking up his new car and mentioning the interior and how the chimes and infotainment talking was a bit jarring if I’m honest.

The clubsport has a clear advantage power wise but I can’t see the improvements other than that and matrix lights which I think are standard. There are other things that don’t seem as good to me quality wise. A lot of it subjective of course but with the price rise and few improvements I really don’t see these selling nearly as well as vw would like.

Anyone know why the car doesn't lock automatically if you're away from it but locks if you're standing beside it when it's off? Forgot to lock the car one day and was surprised to see it left open when I've seen it lock while standing beside it. Keyless, no alarm.

A few lads were checking cars in my estate last night and it's a somewhat frequent occurrence in the last few months. Nothing of value ever in the car but don't want some scrote looking around.

I think you can code it to lock the doors when you get out, mirrors don't fold and fuel door is unlocked but better than nothing if I forget, just strange it doesn't do it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone know why the car doesn't lock automatically if you're away from it but locks if you're standing beside it when it's off? Forgot to lock the car one day and was surprised to see it left open when I've seen it lock while standing beside it. Keyless, no alarm.

A few lads were checking cars in my estate last night and it's a somewhat frequent occurrence in the last few months. Nothing of value ever in the car but don't want some scrote looking around.

I think you can code it to lock the doors when you get out, mirrors don't fold and fuel door is unlocked but better than nothing if I forget, just strange it doesn't do it anyway...

If you unlock the car with the keyfob or touch the doorhandle with keyless - but then don't open the door within a certain timeframe (around 60s) the car will re-lock itself. The car won't automatically re-lock if you have opened the door.

When you get out just touch the dimple on the door handle and that will lock it. It won’t lock itself unless as the poster said above you unlock it with the inside of the door handle or the key and then don’t open the door. It’s a safety thing incase you unlock it in your pocket etc

L-M wrote: »
    When you get out just touch the dimple on the door handle and that will lock it. It won’t lock itself unless as the poster said above you unlock it with the inside of the door handle or the key and then don’t open the door. It’s a safety thing incase you unlock it in your pocket etc

I'm aware of the dimple :) I just found it strange that it will lock if you don't get in but won't lock it when you're getting out and forget to lock it. I just don't see why it wouldn't lock after a minute once you get out if you forget...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

I'm aware of the dimple :) I just found it strange that it will lock if you don't get in but won't lock it when you're getting out and forget to lock it. I just don't see why it wouldn't lock after a minute once you get out if you forget...

That could end up with a lot of people getting locked out of their car. For instance, you get in the car then realise you need something from the boot, you throw your keys on the seat and jump out and close the door, you get distracted with something else (neighbour starts chatting to you etc etc) and now you're locked out of the car.

Perhaps it can be coded to not lock if it senses the key in the car in the above scenario?

Max Q wrote: »
    That could end up with a lot of people getting locked out of their car. For instance, you get in the car then realise you need something from the boot, you throw your keys on the seat and jump out and close the door, you get distracted with something else (neighbour starts chatting to you etc etc) and now you're locked out of the car.

Perhaps it can be coded to not lock if it senses the key in the car in the above scenario?

I don't think that would be an issue with keyless though. If you left the key in the car it would know it's nearby so you could use the door handle to open it and if you walk away it won't detect a key so could lock. If you didn't have keyless then you obviously wouldn't want the door to lock which probably explains why it's not a thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Could use the app as well to lock/unlock it.

Am I correct in thinking the only way they could boost a keyless golf is via relay theft or get the keys.

Are they able to disable the tracker function on the app via the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭richardbradley

Thank you for the previous advice and DMs that have helped me narrow the choice down. I now have 4 cars that fit my bill which as a reminder is:
    • 5 door
    • GTI or R
    • Not black or white
    • From 2017
    • 40k budget - could add another 1-2k for right car

I have narrowed to two Golf R's and two GTIs. Looking at the residuals of older cars both seem to depreciate about 3k per year between year 3 and year 8 ie very similar cost of depreciation if I keep for 5 years with the GTI actually higher for insurance for some reason.

I would really appreciate any advice by here or DM as to if one of these strongly stands out positively or negatively. Then i need to stop umming and ahhing and buy one!!!

I've had a look in the north as well but prices don't seem much different and theres not much jumping out as a standout car ahead of the Irish reg ones.

Also what discount can I expect on the prices listed usually (I've only had company cars for last 20 years so haven't bought one!) - is it normal to negotiate 1-2k?

Any help is hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Golf R
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202101147971185?journey=Search
    https://www.spiritmotorgroup.ie/used-cars/12418285-volkswagen-golf-r-2.0-tsi-dsg-310-hp-mk-7.5/

Golf GTI
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-2-0tsi-230bhp-reversing-came/27254834
    https://www.nyhanmotors.ie/vehicle?id=LdKd

Advertisement