Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't think that would be an issue with keyless though. If you left the key in the car it would know it's nearby so you could use the door handle to open it and if you walk away it won't detect a key so could lock. If you didn't have keyless then you obviously wouldn't want the door to lock which probably explains why it's not a thing...

With keyless, if you leave the key in a locked car you only have a minute or two to reopen a door or it disables any further reopening. Again this is for safety, the thinking being if you've left your key in a keyless car your car is completely vulnerable so better to just disable opening after a reasonable amount of time. You'd need your spare key to get in to the car in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

You haven't said if you have a preference for Manual or DSG? From above you'd prefer a DSG in an R I presume?

Michael Moore's have got a very nice 7.5 R into stock but it's a manual and they haven't put a price on it yet.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-2-0tsi-m6a-4motion-310bhp-5dr/27398958

I'd recommend trying both as they are very different cars with each having their own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

Could use the app as well to lock/unlock it.

Am I correct in thinking the only way they could boost a keyless golf is via relay theft or get the keys.

Are they able to disable the tracker function on the app via the car?

Thats my understanding alright, relay theft or getting the key obviously. They'd need to be reasonably close to the key for relay theft to work I believe so depending on the distance from where your car is and where your keys are kept it may or may not be a risk for you. If you are worried or the distance between key and car is close you could get a small faraday pouch to store your keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Just wondering if anyone has had experience installing a RCD330 head unit? It's a head unit for mk7 golfs for the Chinese market that comes with apple carplay and android auto. Considering replacing my old Mib1 unit

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭richardbradley

You haven't said if you have a preference for Manual or DSG? From above you'd prefer a DSG in an R I presume?

Michael Moore's have got a very nice 7.5 R into stock but it's a manual and they haven't put a price on it yet.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...p-5dr/27398958

I'd recommend trying both as they are very different cars with each having their own merits.

Thank you - yes DSG is preferable. Agree that looks a nice car. It's in the higher road tax band too - which maybe €180 a year more this year but who knows what they will do with tax on the higher Co2 cars in next 5 years! Will be interesting to see where they price it - maybe just sub 40?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

€180 a year is miniscule when you're spending shy of 40k on a car. Don't let car tax sway you, it doesn't make any sense tbh.

Yeah all the 310bhp 7.5 models are in the €750 bracket as far as I know, they went back to €570 in 2019 when the GPF cars came along and they reverted back to 300bhp.

A lot of people say the 310 model is the one to get, you have the tech and improvements of the 7.5 and the most power but in reality 10bhp makes very little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭richardbradley

Wailin wrote: »
    €180 a year is miniscule when you're spending shy of 40k on a car. Don't let car tax sway you, it doesn't make any sense tbh.

Thanks. Tax doesn't sway entirely but it is a little factor. I'm keeping it for five years ish so spending 15k on it rather than 40. It's another €900 over the lifetime I own it. Honestly its not today's difference that would worry - its the fact that they will (rightly) tax these vehicles off the road in coming years - that 900 could easily become 2500 difference.

Agree it doesnt make sense to say "its high tax so im not buying it" when I havent even seen the list price yet - its just one of many factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Thank you for the previous advice and DMs that have helped me narrow the choice down. I now have 4 cars that fit my bill which as a reminder is:
    • 5 door
    • GTI or R
    • Not black or white
    • From 2017
    • 40k budget - could add another 1-2k for right car

I have narrowed to two Golf R's and two GTIs. Looking at the residuals of older cars both seem to depreciate about 3k per year between year 3 and year 8 ie very similar cost of depreciation if I keep for 5 years with the GTI actually higher for insurance for some reason.

I would really appreciate any advice by here or DM as to if one of these strongly stands out positively or negatively. Then i need to stop umming and ahhing and buy one!!!

I've had a look in the north as well but prices don't seem much different and theres not much jumping out as a standout car ahead of the Irish reg ones.

Also what discount can I expect on the prices listed usually (I've only had company cars for last 20 years so haven't bought one!) - is it normal to negotiate 1-2k?

Any help is hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Golf R
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202101147971185?journey=Search
    https://www.spiritmotorgroup.ie/used-cars/12418285-volkswagen-golf-r-2.0-tsi-dsg-310-hp-mk-7.5/

Golf GTI
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-2-0tsi-230bhp-reversing-came/27254834
    https://www.nyhanmotors.ie/vehicle?id=LdKd

I've been tempted by the Atlantic blue GTi in nyhans myself. Maybe I'm completely wrong here but the price seems a bit tasty for a four year old model, albeit with low mileage. I'd also be changing those stock wheels but that's just me. Anyone know what nyhans are like to deal with??

• Advertisement

Both of those GTi's are non Performance pack models. If I was considering a GTi as an R alternative It would have to be the PP model for me.

Problem is they seem to be very scarce in the 7.5 model here. The white one in Graham Walkers and another Atlantic blue model in Hughes Motors were the only two I recall recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I had no idea 3 year old Rs had asking prices of 42k...anyway it's been discussed before about pricing.

Out of all those the PP manual has to be it for me. The Atlantis Blue is the better colour, but it's lacking keyless start which is odd.

DSG or manual is obviously dependent on personal preference and typical driving environment but I'd defo get a manual one even for the extra hassle in start stop traffic.

OSI wrote: »
    Grey one is PP, has the brakes and badges at least.

Possibly is but it's advertised as a 230bhp model when the 7.5 PP was 245.

.......Looking at the residuals of older cars both seem to depreciate about 3k per year between year 3 and year 8 ie very similar cost of depreciation if I keep for 5 years with the GTI actually higher for insurance for some reason...............
    ............. I'm keeping it for five years ish so spending 15k on it rather than 40. It's another €900 over the lifetime I own it. Honestly its not today's difference that would worry - its the fact that they will (rightly) tax these vehicles off the road in coming years - that 900 could easily become 2500 difference. ............

If you are looking at the motor tax over a 5 year period and reckoning a potential €1600 is a factor ......... perhaps allow €20k for depreciation because a €40k car off a forecourt today is unlikely to fetch €25k in 5 years time when you are trading in or selling privately.

The white car mentioned on here is a decent examply, picked up for €34k and retailed for close to €40k.

I've been tempted by the Atlantic blue GTi in nyhans myself. Maybe I'm completely wrong here but the price seems a bit tasty for a four year old model, albeit with low mileage. I'd also be changing those stock wheels but that's just me. Anyone know what nyhans are like to deal with??

It's €3k less asking than the year younger manual one with higher mileage. The younger one does seem less steep pricewise of course with the fresher plate etc.... wheels nicer also and I'd prefer the colour personally too.
    All GTi and R are priced steeply and they seem to not be on the forecourts too long.

It's a fair wad alright though for a 4 year old car that was likely €41k ish new.

Nyhans are grand, 100% reputable etc etc. What you'd expect from a main dealer. I know someone who bought a fresh Cee'd off them last year and all was fine, they did throw budget tyres on it (not utter sh1t or anything),the buyer had no interest in cars anyway really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Possibly is but it's advertised as a 230bhp model when the 7.5 PP was 245.

They also say in the description that it is 7-speed DSG whereas the photos clearly show it's a manual! :rolleyes:

They also say in the description that it is 7-speed DSG whereas the photos clearly show it's a manual! :rolleyes:

Sloppy alright, they've detailed it correctly in the key info section though.........

Transmission
    Manual

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭User1998

Just wondering if anyone has had experience installing a RCD330 head unit? It's a head unit for mk7 golfs for the Chinese market that comes with apple carplay and android auto. Considering replacing my old Mib1 unit

Very easy. Remove plastic trim, remove 4 T15 screws, un plug the original radio and plug the new one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

You sure it will fit a MK7 nearly sure it's for an MK5 & MK6 something about the facia not fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

My brother has it in a MK5 GTI. Fine unit to be fair, I think he got it fitted and all for less than €250 off a chap on insta.

It would be working checking out can they fit Apple car play to your current Unit. Inthink the can hack in and install software.

Screenshot attached

• Advertisement

Screenshot attached

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    The R in Spirit doesn't have keyless entry or push button start. Mightn't be a big deal for some but I'd want it if I was spending 42k.

I'd want DCC on an R it makes for a very comfortable cruiser, keyless without a doubt wouldn't buy a car without it again.

Leather seats are very comfortable, the GTI cloth ones are nice but with the heated seats on your could feel the heating wires.
    None of those 4 linked to had the right mix of extras for the price tags. It's a patience game, need to be ready to pounce on the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Thank you for the previous advice and DMs that have helped me narrow the choice down. I now have 4 cars that fit my bill which as a reminder is:
    • 5 door
    • GTI or R
    • Not black or white
    • From 2017
    • 40k budget - could add another 1-2k for right car

I have narrowed to two Golf R's and two GTIs. Looking at the residuals of older cars both seem to depreciate about 3k per year between year 3 and year 8 ie very similar cost of depreciation if I keep for 5 years with the GTI actually higher for insurance for some reason.

I would really appreciate any advice by here or DM as to if one of these strongly stands out positively or negatively. Then i need to stop umming and ahhing and buy one!!!

I've had a look in the north as well but prices don't seem much different and theres not much jumping out as a standout car ahead of the Irish reg ones.

Also what discount can I expect on the prices listed usually (I've only had company cars for last 20 years so haven't bought one!) - is it normal to negotiate 1-2k?

Any help is hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Golf R
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202101147971185?journey=Search
    https://www.spiritmotorgroup.ie/used-cars/12418285-volkswagen-golf-r-2.0-tsi-dsg-310-hp-mk-7.5/

Golf GTI
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-2-0tsi-230bhp-reversing-came/27254834
    https://www.nyhanmotors.ie/vehicle?id=LdKd

TCR in Red at FK, using those 2k extra for the right one 😬 - https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/used-2019-192-volkswagen-golf-gti-tcr-dublin-fpa-202101268379017

Still missing the keyless option that is great, but seems a good spec overall abs low miles.

I would always try to negotiate, if you buying cash I would say 1k or around that would be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Guys would anyone have a good recommendation for a panel beater and painter in cork city? Somebody scrope the side of my Cupra. He stopped at least so he’ll pay for it! The two doors need to be done and a bit of a dent sorted. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Guys would anyone have a good recommendation for a panel beater and painter in cork city? Somebody scrope the side of my Cupra. He stopped at least so he’ll pay for it! The two doors need to be done and a bit of a dent sorted. Thanks.

Bill Brennan’s are decent. They’re at the back of the Sunbeam. Did my wife’s car last year and it was a really decent job.

Forge Hill Motors, Forge Hill, Kinsale Road, Cork
    Phone:(021) 496 1847

Donie Riordan is the proprietor, he's there decades iirc, the business is on the same grounds as his home, busy place. He employs a fair few.

Top notch work at reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How about this GTI it's fully loaded, https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2019-volkswagen-golf-gti/27289496
    DSG so easy take it up to stage 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

It's got the normal Mk7.5 rear lights for some reason and not the dynamic ones. Wonder if it had rear damage and the wrong lights were re-fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The sign over head the front of the place in picture 6 may give an insight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

bazz26 wrote: »
    The sign over head the front of the place in picture 6 may give an insight.

Didn't even notice the sign.

Advertisement