Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What I thought odd was specking DCC with 18's, are those the original alloys it came with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭richardbradley

I'd want DCC on an R it makes for a very comfortable cruiser, keyless without a doubt wouldn't buy a car without it again.

Leather seats are very comfortable, the GTI cloth ones are nice but with the heated seats on your could feel the heating wires.
    None of those 4 linked to had the right mix of extras for the price tags. It's a patience game, need to be ready to pounce on the right one.

NAIL ON HEAD. You have highlighted my dilemma. I want the Micheal Moore car with fewer miles and DCC, or the Spirit one with DCC for the price its listed at. There isnt one of these that stands out and thats why they havent been snapped up quickly. I might get to the point of having to choose one though - I have no car at the moment and can survive until the end of March but not beyond that!

Thanks for all the help. I will go and drive a couple next weekend and take the plunge after that. Meanwhile I will keep checking hoping the perfect one turns up. Should have sorted this pre Christmas when I had access to whole UK market!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I would have a look at that TCR too, supposed to be great cars. I imagine it will hold its value pretty well too, I think only 20-30 of them sold here originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Good stuff Mark... great review. You got there before Bob too ;)

Did you race any airplanes? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We're you talking to Micheal Moore that might have DCC, it might be keyless he doesn't mention it and the photos are taken in such a way you can't see it has dynaudio.
    Interesting to know what he's asking..

I wouldn't rule out a well specifed gti, it's quick enough and you could always give it a tune, R feels notably heavier than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

What's the difference between the clubsport and tcr in the mk 8 lads?

Wailin wrote: »
    What's the difference between the clubsport and tcr in the mk 8 lads?

There isn't a MK8 TCR...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

JoeA3 wrote: »
    There isn't a MK8 TCR...

Really? This article mentions the mk 8 tcr https://drivetribe.com/p/is-the-2021-vw-golf-gti-tcr-the-Eir_3qI8QCeHX_Zhkp9crA?iid=RhPQjBZxQKqt6aLdijTxeg

Wailin wrote: »

Yeah but that article is completely speculative. We don't really know anything about it yet. I suspect if there is a TCR, it'll be some time away, much later in the MK8 lifecycle, like the last TCR was. They've the "Edition 45" to come in the meantime, which is largely just a CS with a few styling differences.

• Advertisement

That article is from nearly a year ago, I'd say it's actually the mk8 Clubsport they are referring to, just hadn't been announced as the Clubsport to the press back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I imagine the TCR in that article is what the Clubsport became. It has the same bumper and exhaust pipe changes and quotes the same power outputs.

I think VW has backed themselves into a corner because if they want to do a Clubsport/TCR edition for the Mk8, the R isn't much more powerful than the Clubsport and they can't step on the toes of that too much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eggy81

The drivers side wing mirror separated from the adhesive on my gtd this morning at 60mph just joining into the motorway and hit the rear door and has left some fairly significant chips and cuts around the rear door handle and on the diesel flap. Disgusted. Got to my destination then and the other one came off in my hand. Seems common on these cars. Anyone else have this happen to them. Not sure what sort of a job I have in fixing it. The paint that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It’s usually the glue dissolving from the heated mirrors being constantly left on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah happened me in a supermarket car park. Taught me to turn the heat off when finished with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Fell of my MK7 there a few months back when going over a speed bump. I never really used the heat mirrors though, what I did see was the adhesive used to apply it is very thin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Looks like the car I was telling you about before. He collected his new MK8 this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Looks like the car I was telling you about before. He collected his new MK8 this week.

Ha!! I was waiting for you to say that... Jasus a smashing car Joe looks great my kind of guy ... 12k in old money is 7k miles.... shur an UBER would be cheaper for him 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eggy81

L-M wrote: »
    It’s usually the glue dissolving from the heated mirrors being constantly left on.

I’d only had the car since just before Christmas but I definitely did leave the heated mirrors on a few times. Lesson learned. Anyone ever use a crowd called ocd detailing. I need to get someone to have a look at the damage and advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I’ve been put a bit off the white 2019 gti after digging into the sunroof issues on the uk gti forum. Seems that it will only be a matter of time before the plastic surround cracks. I’m not a member there so couldn’t ask but does anyone know if they leak after cracking?

One of the members said that if it happened again they would get that part wrapped to hide it so makes me think it may just be superficial?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

eggy81 wrote: »
    I’d only had the car since just before Christmas but I definitely did leave the heated mirrors on a few times. Lesson learned. Anyone ever use a crowd called ocd detailing. I need to get someone to have a look at the damage and advise.
    Your in good hands there with Peter!

Augeo wrote: »

i30n is a solid GTi alternative for 41k N 2.0L TURBO 271BHP BRAND NEW FOR JAN 2021 HERE AT MOONEYS HYUNDAI ...

https://m.carsireland.ie/1914730

5 year unlimited mileage warranty is huge IMO on a car like that.

i30n is now €46k

Augeo wrote: »
    i30n is now €46k

I was on to Mooney's about it a few weeks ago. They didn't have much information, they don't even know if they'll get any into the country. I should have asked why is it being advertised so, but I guess they're gauging interest.
    Hutton & Meade said they have no plans to bring any in.

Wanted to know if the facelift comes with the heated seats/steering wheel and push button start that the UK got on the previous model, but the Irish market didn't. They didn't have that information.

The new one seems to come with nice bucket seats, nicer wheels, a few extra horses, bigger exhausts and the nicer DRLs.

A 182 Golf R went up on done deal with all the goodies.
    16k km, DCC, ACC, sunroof, leather, keyless, winter pack, pretorias
    Was tagged as blue so assumed it was lapiz blue. I got a video of it, looks gorgeous, well kept, but it's actually atlantic blue.

I think I'd jump on it if it were lapiz but am a bit hesitant at atlantic blue for some reason? Not sure why, it looks lovely.
    I suppose I just want the lapiz more.
    But when will one of this spec level turn up again!

Class car, I'd take an Atlantic Blue over a Lapiz to be honest.

I've a friend looking for one. If you don't jump I think he will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

maxresdefault.jpg
    EL5S0sqXUAA4_d3.jpg

Is there really that much of a difference. Buy the damned thing :D

the top one is lapiz, the bottom is Atlantic.... apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I regret not getting those Jurva 18" wheels on my Golf...

Sounds like a lovely spec car and if I was looking for a blue one, a slightly different shade of blue wouldn't put me off especially as getting the spec you want can be tricky.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Class car, I'd take an Atlantic Blue over a Lapiz to be honest.

I've a friend looking for one. If you don't jump I think he will!

Haha!
    Muppet Man wrote: »

the top one is lapiz, the bottom is Atlantic.... apparently

That's very blue for atlantic, must be the lights. I feel it's a bit more navy. Below is how it looks. It's lovely

546373.jpg

• Advertisement

It is a darker more navy blue yes. I wouldn't let it put me off, the car will look a little less "flash" than Lapiz which might be a good thing.

Advertisement