Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

Ah ok, I appreciate the back tracking, not far off you admitting you were incorrect with your typical Irish car spiel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abugarcia

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect a 3 year old car like that to have multiple dents. My own Golf has a tiny dent over the rear wheel arch where someone dinged it in a car park and a tiny scuff on the driver door where it blew into a pillar in the garden that I don't even notice.

It wouldn't give me confidence about the previous owner considering these are small cars, good visibility and the parking sensors work very well in my experience. Any 2-3 year old Cupras I've looked at were immaculate. These are the sort of cars to be looked after. I wouldn't be putting that sort of money down if it was used as a bumper car.

It certainly doesn’t surprise me. The word mint, immaculate etc, are only relevant to that person’s perception of the words. Ive seen some nice examples also and you can see they have been looked after but this for me is all to rare. A good friend of mine is a detailer and ive seen first hand the condition so many of these cars and higher engine machines come in to get there once off correction.

Of course there are some that look after there cars but very few from what ive seen in this country.

Augeo wrote: »
    Ah ok, I appreciate the back tracking, not far off you admitting you were incorrect with your typical Irish car spiel :)

Im not back tracking at all. I stick by what i say. Your just a typical car salesman, full of ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

DaveyDave wrote: »
    These are the sort of cars to be looked after. I wouldn't be putting that sort of money down if it was used as a bumper car.

I had similar thoughts. Careless owner? Or just bad luck?
    For all you know they might be rectifying the issues before the new owner collects the car.

He did say they would be rectified before collection, yes.

I told him I wasn't really interested because of no keyless but he did the figures anyway. And he came back with a very decent cost of change, not sure it'd change my mind but I was impressed.

Abugarcia wrote: »
    ..........Your just a typical car salesman, full of ****e!

And you're what? Buddies with a detailer who shows you some nice cars that are in bad nick aesthetically :pac:

I don't work in car sales btw.
    ILikeBoats wrote: »
    ..........Or just bad luck?..........

Nah, they are all like that in Ireland :pac:

• Advertisement

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I had similar thoughts. Careless owner? Or just bad luck?

He did say they would be rectified before collection, yes.

I told him I wasn't really interested because of no keyless but he did the figures anyway. And he came back with a very decent cost of change, not sure it'd change my mind but I was impressed.

Rectified 🀔
    Would you want a car that has one side painted because that dent on the back wont rub out! As for the dents to get at them you'd need to drill into the doors by someone they use for their pdr’s. Hard to find a nice original car..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Not typical. Enthusiast cars are generally well looked after. I have 6 year old one and you'll struggle to find a swirl or pin dent on it.

But some Golf R's were bought under leases for exec sales guys instead of a typical 320d for the same price, I can see how a car like that wouldn't be looked after as well

And you're what? Buddies with a detailer who shows you some nice cars that are in bad nick aesthetically :pac:

I don't work in car sales btw.

Nah, they are all like that in Ireland :pac:

“I don't work in car sales btw”

Its only a career don’t be so sensitive about it.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Not typical. Enthusiast cars are generally well looked after. I have 6 year old one and you'll struggle to find a swirl or pin dent on it.

But some Golf R's were bought under leases for exec sales guys instead of a typical 320d for the same price, I can see how a car like that wouldn't be looked after as well

Not everyone that owns a golf R is an enthusiast. I dont doubt that yours is as described. It took me 6 months to find one that was clean enough. So as i said above, for me its typical of what i had seen from viewing dozens of them.

Yeah in fairness I viewed a few rough ones too back in 2019, but still surprised that a 2018 model asking €40k could be in a condition as you described, I am not doubting you that it was, just surprising is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

There are plenty of rough ones out there, 40k+ cars included. "Enthusiasts" are a relatively small number of people. But it depends on your tolerance of imperfections. Most people don't even see swirl marks or a bit of kerb rash on the wheels but the sight of either would turn me off instantly.

TBH I'd be much more confident of finding a clean mint example in the likes of Lewis / Barnes motors than in a main dealers.

Yeah in fairness I viewed a few rough ones too back in 2019, but still surprised that a 2018 model asking €40k could be in a condition as you described, I am not doubting you that it was, just surprising is all.

I cant say i was overly surprised. They apparently said they would “rectify” it but that means painting down the left side of it and drilling holes in the body to get at the pdr’s. The irish car trade is greatly flawed in this respect but they get away with it because most wont see what you see.

Why would anyone want a car that has had that much work done pre sale, and what does it do to resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

You also have to consider it could be stolen-recovered and one of the reasons it may have been handed back. Might explain it being a bit rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

A typical irish car that is probably already sold ��
    Allot of irish people don't have respect for there cars, this is no revelation.
    Of course there are some that look after there cars but very few from what ive seen in this country.
    The irish car trade is greatly flawed in this respect but they get away with it because most wont see what you see.

Where did you live before that was better out of interest?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Where did you live before that was better out of interest?

I found the service and quality of the cars in England to be generally streaks ahead of what we have over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

My first one was a company car and I handed it back with 120,000 kilometres on it without a scratch or a mark!
    In fairness I get what you are saying, car enthusiasts tend to really look after their cars but there is the odd exception. I would always expect a car like a Golf R to have been well minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I cant say i was overly surprised. They apparently said they would “rectify” it but that means painting down the left side of it and drilling holes in the body to get at the pdr’s. The irish car trade is greatly flawed in this respect but they get away with it because most wont see what you see.

Why would anyone want a car that has had that much work done pre sale, and what does it do to resale value.

PDR doesn't require drilling into the body of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I found the service and quality of the cars in England to be generally streaks ahead of what we have over here.

I’ve bought cars from the uk and worked there for a while and totally agree, there is a big car culture in the uk that we just don’t have here.
    You only have to have a look at some of the uk based car forums to see the level of enthusiasm. It’s a lot easier to like cars when they cost so less to get into though.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    PDR doesn't require drilling into the body of the car.

It can if some of the dents are in a specific spot that there is no clear access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

It can if some of the dents are in a specific spot that there is no clear access to.

I wouldn't exactly call it PDR then. More just dent removal.

• Advertisement

SaintsYB wrote: »
    I wouldn't exactly call it PDR then. More just dent removal.

Well thats what its called in the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

To be fair, it's still a PDR if a hole is drilled. It's generally pretty inconspicuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

PDR = Paintless Dent Removal. If you’re drilling holes you’re going to have to use paint so it can’t strictly be PDR.

Holes are usually drilled in "non obvious" areas and a plugged with a grommet afterwards, we are talking tiny holes. It's faily common, no paint used. Usually on inside edges of doors and wings.

I've had PDR done numerous times and never required any drilling. These guys almost always find a way to gain access to behind the dent without resorting to that.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I've had PDR done numerous times and never required any drilling. These guys almost always find a way to gain access to behind the dent without resorting to that.

Its unavoidable in certain locations. Its a last resort but still carried out nonetheless. If you didn’t need any drilling you were lucky.

Sometimes is does though and when it does, it still doesn't require paint, is all i'm saying. It's not too uncommon on tricker stuff. If anything i'd say the lads who will drill a hole are more talented as they are really going to the limit of what can be achieved or accessed without having to use a traditional bodyshop repair.

Once had it on a door of a Q3 where a wheelie bin blew into it. Had two different PDR lads look at it and said it couldn't be done given where re-enforcers were in the door. Had a third lad look at it, drilled a 3 or 4mm hole around half way down the inner door jamb and worked the whole dent out, put a dab of waxoil on the edge of the hole and popped a grommet it. There is 2 or 3 factory grommets there anyway so another one isn't unsightly or a huge deal, specially when it's saving so much money.

A complicated PDR could be €150-200 replacing door skin could run into multiples of that.

Enough about PDR's, more about... Golf R's :)

Its unavoidable in certain locations. Its a last resort but still carried out nonetheless. If you didn’t need any drilling you were lucky.

Maybe. But it would want to be a pretty bad dent in a very very awkward location. A typical door skin already has easy access points / holes in it, via locks / hinges, drainage points, etc. A skilled PDR shouldn't need to resort to drilling.

That being said, if the car is as rough as you think it is, I wouldn't pay 40k+ either. Move on to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

PDR or not, it seems to have sold anyway!

• Advertisement

I think i just got a lil bit sick in my mouth...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-dsg-3dr/27493461

Advertisement