Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You have to the have the lights on the Auto setting for it to work.

Incase you just have the dips turn on manually

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

eggy81 wrote: »
    Thanks. This is what I have behind mirror sensor wise. It recognises signs which I think is enough for high beam assist but I’m never sure if it’s coming from a sensor or the sat nav

In the photo that’s the rain sensor. You don’t have the DLA camera as that would be visible from that picture.
    The HBA camera looks like this if fitted
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjqvewC9K1STXnJExV2HBxx-VeTOT8qeWQDA&usqp=CAU

And if it is present, HBA can be coded I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭eggy81

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    In the photo that’s the rain sensor. You don’t have the DLA camera as that would be visible from that picture.
    The HBA camera looks like this if fitted
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjqvewC9K1STXnJExV2HBxx-VeTOT8qeWQDA&usqp=CAU

And if it is present, HBA can be coded I believe.

Hmm think I may be out of luck. There’s something there alright but hard to make it out right now. Is the sensor for dynamic cruise located there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

eggy81 wrote: »
    Hmm think I may be out of luck. There’s something there alright but hard to make it out right now. Is the sensor for dynamic cruise located there too?

Dynamic cruise is a radar in the badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Dynamic cruise is a radar in the badge.

Is that not the square sensor in the lower front grill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Is that not the square sensor in the lower front grill?

Not on mk7.5, it was integrated into the badge

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

A post like this has probably already been asked somewhere on the motors forum but I don't want to start a new thread either anywhere

I'm hoping to buy a mk7 GTI hopefully before the summer, I've around a 20k budget so I'm probably looking at a higher mileage 2014 or 15 car and I would much prefer a dsg

I've yet to go and look at any obviously with the restrictions and most of the dealers only offering click and delivery and not being opened.

For when I do go looking more seriously I was just wondering if anyone had any advice/tips on red flags I should be looking out? Is there anything service wise that should of been or should be addressed?

I'm probably going to keep it long term and It won't be a daily either so I don't want to get a bad car if you know what I mean.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭shanec1928

gary550 wrote: »
    A post like this has probably already been asked somewhere on the motors forum but I don't want to start a new thread either anywhere
    I’d say start this thread from the start. Theres been plenty of info on what to look out for.

gary550 wrote: »
    For when I do go looking more seriously I was just wondering if anyone had any advice/tips on red flags I should be looking out? Is there anything service wise that should of been or should be addressed?

I'm probably going to keep it long term and It won't be a daily either so I don't want to get a bad car if you know what I mean.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think this was posted here before:
    If been serviced recently. Was the big service done

Someone on here recently with a GTD had issues with the coolant sludging I think. This is becoming increasingly common and isn't exclusive to the diesels, any model with life long coolant can (and do) suffer. Symptoms are low heat output in the cabin and dirty or discoloured coolant so make sure the coolant is a fresh light pink colour and that the cabin heaters get good and hot.

leaking coolant pumps/ thermostat housings are popular too but there's no real way to check for this pre purchase as the pump is buried in the engine bay and leaks are usually very gradual, but no harm to make sure the coolant level is correct.

All multimedia control unit units, both pre and post facelift can be subject to various glitches, most can be solved with simple software updates but just make sure the infotainment, bluetooth, park pilot and nav work correctly, fluidly and are responsive to touch and aren't doing anything unexpected.

Keyfob batterys don't last very long in these cars, whether they have keyless entry or not, the batterys only seem to last 2 years ish tops, they are cheap and easy to replace but again i'd just make sure both keys are working at test drive. The engine start button on keyless cars can fail too, so make sure one gentle press of the button starts the car, having to push the button hard or more than once is a sign of failure on the way but again, these buttons are a cheap easy replacement.

If looking at a DSG car, make sure there is no juddering/ shuddering or squeaking noises when taking off or changing gear or this could be indicative of excessive wear on the clutch pack, they aren't particularly prone to this, but if it's seen hard driving previously it's a possibility. I'd also make sure to shift in and out of park a good few times as the park lock switches in the selector can fail, it won't leave you stranded but it does put a warning light on the dashboard for the gearbox.

The high beam assist modules located in the rear view mirror are prone to failure too, so activate the high beam assist by pushing forward the light stalk (even on a day time test drive) as once the system is activated, even when not in use, the fault will show up on the dashboard if the module is faulty.

The foam gasket around the rear door speaks can crumble and fail which lets rainwater leak into the rear passenger footwells, this isn't too common but it does happen so I'd just make sure the rear carpets are dry and the rear speakers are working. While you're back there make sure the center rear air vent works and the controls are in place, it's more popular in family wagon Golfs than performance models but the positioning of the vent means kids with little legs kick the little directional adjusters off the vents and they then get swallowed down into the vent.

The window switches are made from chocolate too so make sure they all work and make sure that one touch works for both front windows. Sometimes all they need is to be re calibrated but the mechanism in the switch can fail too, you should feel the switch clicking firmly at each activation, if the switch feels vague or loose, it's knackered.

Performance pack models are due a diff oil change every 4 years regardless of mileage, so that might be a good throw in to get if you are looking at 2016-ish models. The first brake fluid change is due at 3 years old too, so i'd make sure a 2016 car has had this done. The DSG oil change interval on the 7 speed is a lot longer at 120k kms.

I can comment on the start/stop button failure. In my GTI it needed to be replaced under the Das Welt warranty. It took 5 or 6 hard pushes to start and stop the engine.

Also, check the grommet in the boot. Water can get into the badge/boot handle on the boot. There is a hole and pipe which bring that water out the bottom of the boot door, you can see the grommet when you open the boot.
    Like here for example: https://i.imgur.com/6oGHRXV.jpg
    The pipe can disintegrate and will allow water into the boot well. It's an easy fix, a straw will do it. Or a replacement pipe on ebay is a tenner.
    Just check that grommet is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I think this was posted here before:

I can comment on the start/stop button failure. In my GTI it needed to be replaced under the Das Welt warranty. It took 5 or 6 hard pushes to start and stop the engine.

Also, check the grommet in the boot. Water can get into the badge/boot handle on the boot. There is a hole and pipe which bring that water out the bottom of the boot door, you can see the grommet when you open the boot.
    Like here for example: https://i.imgur.com/6oGHRXV.jpg
    The pipe can disintegrate and will allow water into the boot well. It's an easy fix, a straw will do it. Or a replacement pipe on ebay is a tenner.
    Just check that grommet is there.

Thank you very much for that, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I'll print that off for when I can go looking.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Got the cat back and some new rubber on the Cupra yesterday. Makes a big difference to the looks and sound. It’s loud when you want it to be but quiet enough when you don’t. Really happy with it so far.

9-BD96-EF7-796-A-474-E-BE4-B-D3-AF18-FBFAF7.jpg

Is that an AWD version?

Augeo wrote: »
    Is that an AWD version?

Nope, hence the need for good rubber :pac:

Was there a time when all estates were AWD ?

Augeo wrote: »
    Was there a time when all estates were AWD ?

That came with the 300 4Drive on the facelift. There’s a few of those around.

Cheers for the info, can never remember things like that anymore tbh :o

Got the cat back and some new rubber on the Cupra yesterday. Makes a big difference to the looks and sound. It’s loud when you want it to be but quiet enough when you don’t. Really happy with it so far.

Record a cold start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Record a cold start!
    X2, lets hear it!:D

I think it was yourself that asked about a resonator delete in another thread. I've seen some people just go to a welder and weld in a straight pipe which is very crude and looks awful.

I recently fitted one of these to my R and really happy with the improvement in sound:
    https://www.lsgperformance.co.uk/products/low-drone-beta-test-res-delete

These pipes are manufactured to properly join the exhaust where the resonator box is and if you ever wanted it's very simple to return to stock.
    The valved rear silencer means you can stick it in eco mode and the difference is barely noticeable. Not saying it sounds as good as a full system would but it definitely an improvement.

• Advertisement

That sounds great hooch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

With the quad exhausts on the R, are the outside tips cosmetic?

cpoh1 wrote: »
    With the quad exhausts on the R, are the outside tips cosmetic?

On the hatchback they are valved so can be open and closed with the driver mode selector.

On the estate model they are cosmetic alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

hooch-85 wrote: »
    On the hatchback they are valved so can be open and closed with the driver mode selector.

On the estate model they are cosmetic alright.

I thought they are only cosmetic on the 7R estate?

Yeah that's what I meant

Saw a new R yesterday. Looked good apart from the 18s. Was driving so couldn't get a pic

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I took the wind deflectors off the GTI yesterday, is there anything that can be done to the window seal where the deflectors were underneath it?

Two 2018 7.5's Rs just in stock in Joe Duffy's, the first one sounds nice, no pics up yet, second one is a blue 3 door and is €3k cheaper. Not cheap cars by any means, especially for 3 years old

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-2-0tsi-310bhp-auto/27768941

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-2-0tsi-310bhp-auto/27768926

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

43k for a three year old R. The world has gone mad!

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    43k for a three year old R. The world has gone mad!

They wouldn't be asking for it if they weren't getting it!

Advertisement