Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

hooch-85 wrote: »
    They wouldn't be asking for it if they weren't getting it!

What’s a brand new R with a few options on it these days 65k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

CIP4 wrote: »
    What’s a brand new R with a few options on it these days 65k ?

Starts at €64k, add in the 19" wheels, performance pack and DCC and your well over €70k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Starts at €64k, add in the 19" wheels, performance pack and DCC and your well over €70k.

I am sure some people would argue you can get one with affordable repayments on PCP but 70k for a Golf R is really just eye watering and crazy no mater how you try rationalise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

Two 2018 7.5's Rs just in stock in Joe Duffy's, the first one sounds nice, no pics up yet, second one is a blue 3 door and is €3k cheaper. Not cheap cars by any means, especially for 3 years old

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-2-0tsi-310bhp-auto/27768941

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-2-0tsi-310bhp-auto/27768926

For €39k I would at least expect a clean engine bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

For €39k I would at least expect a clean engine bay.

A lot of Irish dealers don't know how to properly prep cars or they just don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,265 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nice spec R just gone up here too:

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Just collected this from the garage today. Coming from a 1.2tsi MK7 so it's a big jump.

20210409-191620.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Comhrá

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    Just collected this from the garage today. Coming from a 1.2tsi MK7 so it's a big jump.

Lovely motor. Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nice spec R just gone up here too:

That is tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kodirl

Hiya folks, I used to be on this thread quite a lot back in the day when it was just for MK7 GTI/GTD. I traded my 2yr old MK7 GTI in a few years back for a BMW and have regretted it ever since.

I am now on the hunt for a 4door MK7.5 GTI preferably with the performance pack and in any colour except for black/white. Ideal colour would be indium grey or atlantic blue. DSG or manual, I have no preference.

If anyone is selling one, knows of someone selling one or is considering trading theirs in could they please let me know before I go looking in dealerships.

Search: GTI, Performance, Cupra , golf, r, leon dsg, manual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

kodirl wrote: »
    Hiya folks, I used to be on this thread quite a lot back in the day when it was just for MK7 GTI/GTD. I traded my 2yr old MK7 GTI in a few years back for a BMW and have regretted it ever since.

I am now on the hunt for a 4door MK7.5 GTI preferably with the performance pack and in any colour except for black/white. Ideal colour would be indium grey or atlantic blue. DSG or manual, I have no preference.

If anyone is selling one, knows of someone selling one or is considering trading theirs in could they please let me know before I go looking in dealerships.

Search: GTI, Performance, Cupra , golf, r, leon dsg, manual

Came up yesterday
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-2-0tsi-m6f-245hp-5dr/27763707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone recommend a hidden hitch for an R..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Sacrilegious!!

Thanks, saw it earlier. 4 owners for a three year old car though?? I'm assuming it was a demo which would account for owner number one but three then after that strikes me as excessive and maybe an underlying issue with the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,265 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks, saw it earlier. 4 owners for a three year old car though?? I'm assuming it was a demo which would account for owner number one but three then after that strikes me as excessive and maybe an underlying issue with the car.

Did you see this one:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-performance-2-0-245ps-tsi-37/26836284

bazz26 wrote: »

Thanks bazz26, yes I have seen all of the ones posted on dondeal, carzone etc. I should have said that I'm looking for an original Irish car too not one that has been imported from the UK. I said I'd put a post on here first as someone may be thinking of trading theirs in against a mk8 and I would probably offer better than what a dealer would offer them on trade in for theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I don’t think it’s possible to fit any sort of towbar onto an R, due to the exhaust layout.

Fitting a towbar to a Golf R kind of reminds me of that advertisement that used to be on TV for the national lottery where the farmer was driving a countach towing a silage trailer 😀. Big difference between a countach and an R but you get the idea....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Is it just me or is there something wrong with those wheels. Either they’re spurious or the tyres are too small. I’m not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Are 19s not supposed to be 235/35? Not a huge difference but still a slightly bigger sidewall than 225/35.

L-M wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there something wrong with those wheels. Either they’re spurious or the tyres are too small. I’m not sure.

225/35/19s tyres on it and past there best which gives the look of being small .. On Mine are brescia alloys with 235/35/19s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

They look like they’re sitting in very far on the back as well. Maybe it’s all just the narrow tyre. Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Dave PP

I'm pretty sure that car was for sale privately by its first owner for quite a while. Sold by McCoys then was for auction a while later then back through Mc Coys.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Only the Pretorias were 235 wide on the Mk7. All the others are 225.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Dave PP wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that car was for sale privately by its first owner for quite a while. Sold by McCoys then was for auction a while later then back through Mc Coys.

That’s right, I remember this car. I actually made an enquiry about it when McCoys had it the first time. It looked great then but they were asking saucy money for it. It definitely went through a couple of less-careful owners since that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I hope I'm posting in the right thread guys..

The first car I ever bought brand new was a MKV Golf. 2008. Comfortline spec with upgraded 16" alloys, steering wheel controls, full screen trip computer and an mp3 capable cd player. It was beautiful. Even if it had the smallest 1.4 engine the lack of power was made up by the build quality and serious soundproofing built into it. Selling it was something I immediately regretted.

Since then I've wanted to buy another new Golf but noticed that they crept up in price at a fair rate with each iteration despite the MKVI supposedly being a way to reduce the cost of each car built. I also loved the shape of the VI and VII and but whatever it is about the 8, despite being out for a while now I can't get my head around to liking it.

The nose of the car appears too long proportionately to the rest of the car and the lights are too narrow front and back. The interior looks well but the insistence on plastic sliders, touchscreen input and pads instead of buttons on the dash and steering wheel is an off put. Granted, I reckon I could get over the interior hurdles if they had the same build quality as its predecessors but it just doesn't seem to be there.

I recently took one out for a spin - it was nice to drive but the build felt less comfortable and quiet than my MKV. My day to day is an Octavia so I'm not being picky but can't help but wonder if VW was trying too hard with this model while also trying to keep the build cost down - presumably to make up for diesel-gate. I tend to notice the small things like the reduction in soft touch plastics and the removal of the gas strut that kept the bonnet up as well. These sacrifices joined with the attempt to have the interior of a Tesla just doesn't work for me.

I would have liked VW to keep the Golf as a Golf - while they put the iCar ideas into the ID3 and above.

To each their own and I know many love the MK8 - I just feel disappointed that they didn't stick to the tried and tested on this car.

Rant over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Only the Pretorias were 235 wide on the Mk7. All the others are 225.

My R came with 19" Cadiz and they had 235

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Killinator wrote: »
    My R came with 19" Cadiz and they had 235

Sorry, yeah. The R all have 235s alright. Just had a look again and 225s are standard for GTIs though except the Reifnitz wheels from the TCR.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    That’s right, I remember this car. I actually made an enquiry about it when McCoys had it the first time. It looked great then but they were asking saucy money for it. It definitely went through a couple of less-careful owners since that.

Hi Joe, may I ask how you know about the less careful owners? Have you seen it on another forum ?

Advertisement