Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Anyone recommend a hidden hitch for an R..

I remember hearing somewhere that VAG doesn't homologate hitches on the "performance" halo models like the Golf R, Leon Cupra, RS3, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

kodirl wrote: »
    Hi Joe, may I ask how you know about the less careful owners? Have you seen it on another forum ?

Oh just from memory... as I said, it first was for sale privately by its first owner when it was fairly new. Then it appeared in McCoys (presumably they bought it off that first owner). It looked very tidy then, low miles, mint condition. It sat for a good while. I enquired about it but they weren't really interested in dealing with me, the price was silly and finance options were limited. They admitted it was a tough sell alongside their new SEAT's.

It eventually disappeared off carzone but it wasn't that long before it reappeared on some auction site, looking very untidy. Very obvious dings and kerbed wheels. Then it appeared back in McCoys a while later again.

It's definitely been around the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kodirl

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Oh just from memory... as I said, it first was for sale privately by its first owner when it was fairly new. Then it appeared in McCoys (presumably they bought it off that first owner). It looked very tidy then, low miles, mint condition. It sat for a good while. I enquired about it but they weren't really interested in dealing with me, the price was silly and finance options were limited. They admitted it was a tough sell alongside their new SEAT's.

It eventually disappeared off carzone but it wasn't that long before it reappeared on some auction site, looking very untidy. Very obvious dings and kerbed wheels. Then it appeared back in McCoys a while later again.

It's definitely been around the block.

It's a shame really as it is very good spec with rare options ticked. Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Saw a transporter with a load of performance mk8s, including a few Rs northbound on the M1 today, guessing for Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nicely speced Cupra ST:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe99b5e39b69219981a3794c08960bc16e7.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/2800558

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nicely speced Cupra ST:

Very nice. Not sure that description is 100% though - I thought the exterior black pack has black Seat/Cupra badges front and back, or mine does anyway. It’s also missing that retractable roof thing from the boot but maybe they just removed it when taking the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Also has weird Air-Con controls, I've never seen these ones in a Mk7 GTI:

golf-climate.png

eljono wrote: »
    Also has weird Air-Con controls, I've never seen these ones in a Mk7 GTI:

golf-climate.png

Its another odd-ball early MK7 spec. Manual air con rather than full climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are those Golf R rear lights? They look more tinted than the normal ones on the GTi.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd say they're the "smoked" R lights

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

7 owners!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

The asking prices for mk7 GTI / R are crazy high at the moment.
    I guess a knock on effect from brexit and lack of ability to import via UK.

That 2014 GTI seems a bit of a rich price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

The asking prices for mk7 GTI / R are crazy high at the moment.
    I guess a knock on effect from brexit and lack of ability to import via UK.

That 2014 GTI seems a bit of a rich price too.

The price of anything interesting or fast is crazy at the moment for this very reason. Unless you are lucky enough to find one in the north it’s very expensive to buy here now and that’s not going to change.

maddness wrote: »
    The price of anything interesting or fast is crazy at the moment for this very reason. Unless you are lucky enough to find one in the north it’s very expensive to buy here now and that’s not going to change.

You're right maddness. I figured costs aren't going to come down so said screw it and bought what was probably an overpriced R a few weeks ago!
    TBH I was ok with the cost of change, they valued my GTI pretty well. The spec on the R ticked my boxes so I bit the bullet - keyless, android auto, dynaudio, sunroof and the lapiz blue which I've been lusting after.

Things I like:
    - It looks beautiful. I love the lapiz blue. When I went from the Focus ST to the GTI. I said the front end isn't a good looker, the rear is. The facelifted 7.5 is much more appealing to the eye. Loving the DRLs and the indicators.
    - It sounds great.
    - The infotainment is much improved. Big fan of android auto. Obviously would have loved discovery pro but can't have everything!
    - Dynaudio is the business.
    - Love the black accents.
    - Putting that foot down is a great feeling.

Mild Annoyances:
    - The dsg is taking a bit of getting used to. There's a split second where it's deciding what it's doing or something. My wife has a dsg so thought I was used to driving one.
    - I think the mk7 rear lights were nicer.
    - I have a bit of soundaktor rattle which will be sorted when I drop back in.
    - There's a knocking or "something not running smoothly" feeling coming through the floor/pedals. Suggestions include a bad spigot ring (I'm not sure factory wheels need spigot rings?) . It'll also be looked at when I drop back in.
    - You'd miss the red accents and the red line up front.
    - I live in one of those new builds without a wall around my driveway, so if you're on the path you can practically touch the cars. My anxiety levels are at an all time high with the kids on the road flying past on the bikes and scooters
    - Pretty bad turning circle
    - Nearly empty tank after 320km!!

All in all, I love it.
    I hope it is of better build quality than the GTI. A lot of squeaks and rattles in it, used to do my head in.

550157.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nicely speced Cupra ST:

Sold already. :D

This is it, all relative I suppose. I still have my mk7 GTI from new. Hasn't put a foot wrong in 120k kms. I have it over 6 years now but the itch is always there!

Hard to justify changing it at the moment as I'm still working from home but good to know residuals are strong.

Would you still recommend the m140i? Did you make any changes to modify the handling or do you find it OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Andrew76 wrote: »

I didn't see it driving past earlier, thought as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Andrew76 wrote: »

It was fairly priced ( considering a ****show that anything hot hatchy now costs a fortune ). I haven't even seen it up on donedeal or carzone. In fact, for last few weeks there are pretty much no Leon cupra or i30N for sale. I am not in position to look for one as my sector still not reopen, but I really hope I will get new car this year, but as I said already: it's a bad time to be a hot hatch enthusiast.

ILikeBoats wrote: »

- Nearly empty tank after 320km!!

That's the top speed on the speedo, not the range!

Lovely motor you grabbed there. Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

This is it, all relative I suppose. I still have my mk7 GTI from new. Hasn't put a foot wrong in 120k kms. I have it over 6 years now but the itch is always there!

Hard to justify changing it at the moment as I'm still working from home but good to know residuals are strong.

Would you still recommend the m140i? Did you make any changes to modify the handling or do you find it OK?

Yeah love the M140i and would recommend one.
    Very different car compared to the Golf R.
    Sounds incredibly good, a lot faster in a straight line too and I much prefer the cabin in the BMW.
    In saying that a R does handle a lot better than the 140 and you can cover ground a lot faster and without as much effort.
    I’d say the R is a much better car for all seasons but the 140 is more rewarding and feels a lot more special.
    I haven’t done much to my car, I’m not really into modifying but I may change some suspension if I get back to doing a lot of driving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 c00lkat007

Is this car worth 27000 euros to any of you? I would be expecting at least a 162 GTI, for me this car should be max 23500 as a 6 year old car. I mean seriously, what are these dealers and sellers tthinking with the recent price hikes in GTI and R s or any car exciting in Ireland!
    www.carzone . ie/used cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202102269506048?journey=Search

Yeah love the M140i and would recommend one.
    Very different car compared to the Golf R.
    Sounds incredibly good, a lot faster in a straight line too and I much prefer the cabin in the BMW.
    In saying that a R does handle a lot better than the 140 and you can cover ground a lot faster and without as much effort.
    I’d say the R is a much better car for all seasons but the 140 is more rewarding and feels a lot more special.
    I haven’t done much to my car, I’m not really into modifying but I may change some suspension if I get back to doing a lot of driving again.

Yeah I've always had a soft spot for the 140s. Effortless power, the sound of the straight 6 and the driveability of them.
    Apparently, springs and a diff would really tighten up the handling but like you, I'd be slow enough to modify.

Definitely on the list when it comes to change!

https://www.birdsauto.com/quaife/search?m=bmw&s=51126&mi=M140i

If I was buying a BMW and it had one of these fitted it would be a massive selling point. Compared with a remap/wheels/suspension a lot of people may find they would prefer to buy a stock car than one that has been tinkered with, which I would tend to myself. But if it had one of these on the rear axle I would defo pay more for the car compared to a similar without it.

I'm getting a Quaife fitted to my own car next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

The brother picked up his GTI there on Tuesday, rare enough seeing one with a manual nowadays.

20210415-135001.jpg
    20210415-134423.jpg

love it! Big spec on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

That looks fantastic! Well wear to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Looks savage! Lovely motors for the both of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 c00lkat007

How much does it cost to retrofit GTI bixenon headlights.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202102259458569?journey=Search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

c00lkat007 wrote: »
    How much does it cost to retrofit GTI bixenon headlights.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202102259458569?journey=Search

I'd imagine well over a grand... Besides new lights you'd be needing a new bumper with integrated head lamp washers which are needed to pass the NCT... Nightmare to wire them up
    A mortal sin not to have spec’d from new

Advertisement