Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭User1998

c00lkat007 wrote: »
    How much does it cost to retrofit GTI bixenon headlights.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202102259458569?journey=Search

A set of high quality LED bulbs would do the job but I don’t think the Golf has projector headlights so you might end up blinding people

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

If you were going to change the lights, as said above, you'd need the different bumper regardless so I'd probably just change to the 7.5 LED headlights and bumper if I was going to do it.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Sold already. :D

To you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

SaintsYB wrote: »
    If you were going to change the lights, as said above, you'd need the different bumper regardless so I'd probably just change to the 7.5 LED headlights and bumper if I was going to do it.

Definitely can’t do that. The 7.5 lights actually require different wings and possibly a bonnet! They’re very slightly different.

My advice - find a car with the xenons / leds factory fitted.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Definitely can’t do that. The 7.5 lights actually require different wings and possibly a bonnet! They’re very slightly different.

My advice - find a car with the xenons / leds factory fitted.

Oh ok. At first glance, it just looks like the lights and bumpers are the only things changed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

To you? ;)

No not me this time, was just surprised how fast it was sold. Hopefully they're still in demand in a years time when it's time to trade up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 c00lkat007

Very good spec, milage and value.
    However I would be cautious on how a 4 year old Golf R only amassed 17000 km. Otherwise seems to be great price in comparison to the others available in the market.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-171-volkswagen-golf-2-0-tsi-r-4x4-300ps-5dr/21799613?campaign=3

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Surely 17000 Miles, and even at that lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Anyone tried to get there wheels off lately... I did and it was impossible to get the nuts off with the wheel brace its just too bloody short to get any real force ended up sticking a 2 foot steel bar into the hollow part of the wheel brace which doubled the force enabling Crack open the nuts... The bar is in the boot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

Another 2018 leon cupra ST 300 in now

https://mccoymotors.ie/used-car/seat-cupra-24953329

And there's two hatchback 290 s fresh in as well

People getting rid of their fun cars or what's going on? PCP ending?

https://mccoymotors.ie/used-car/cupra-leon-24928009
    https://mccoymotors.ie/used-car/seat-leon-24705940

I've noticed they've had a demo leon cupra for sale for ages. Dunno why it's taking so long to shift.

There's also an ibiza cupra 1.8 in white up on their page for anyone wanting to join me in the warm hatchback world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The last gen Leon is definitely nicer than the new one. New one isn't bad at all, I pass one near my house but the front end looks too long like a Focus or 1 series or something. Old one has better proportions, great looking car.

What's the consensus on changing out 6.5" screen to the Mk7.5 Discover Media screen? Does the battery need to be disconnected or can I leave it alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

SaintsYB wrote: »
    What's the consensus on changing out 6.5" screen to the Mk7.5 Discover Media screen? Does the battery need to be disconnected or can I leave it alone?

I could be wrong but I’m fairly sure the brain inside the glovebox needs to be changed as well.

Not sure if this R was posted here yet, but it looks a real peach of an example (with a price tag to match!).

My wife picked up a new T-Roc in this same colour last week and its really lovely in the metal.

ID9Dg7ItVpC7XFZ2XrqJe1RSCiNUNAhrYexNq0cu.jpg

L-M wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I’m fairly sure the brain inside the glovebox needs to be changed as well.

It's a 171 Mk7 so already has the MIB2 unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MoJoCaine

Q - Anyone know of any issues with fitting 8.5J rims to a new CS. Car due with 19's but standard VW's are only 8J.
    These going straight into storage as with our roads it's impossible to keep a set of wheels mint no matter how careful
    one is. Rims I'm looking at only come in 8.5J. I see in various places that that 8.5J's do/should work but don't want
    getting stung for the want of not asking!
    Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Volkswizard on youtube fitted aftermarket wheels to his new CS and I'm nearly sure they were 8.5J.

Have a look at his video, he goes into detail on the wheel specs at some stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khzOiSFjxXM

Won't it depend on the offset of the wheel? You can check online with the stock wheels and the ones you're looking at to see if they'll be ok.

I find some of Joe Achilles content very tedious to put it midly, but this is one of the best videos I've seen him put together in a long time. He's out of his BMW comfort zone for a change so he's maybe a little more frank and loose with his own opinions on this one. Almost every review I've seen of the MK8 bitches about the infotainment setup without really convincing me that they're not just saying it because they heard someone else say it. JA's review here is the best summation I've seen yet.

Overall he's really impressed with the car though, despite his strong reservations about the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

MoJoCaine wrote: »
    Q - Anyone know of any issues with fitting 8.5J rims to a new CS. Car due with 19's but standard VW's are only 8J.
    These going straight into storage as with our roads it's impossible to keep a set of wheels mint no matter how careful
    one is. Rims I'm looking at only come in 8.5J. I see in various places that that 8.5J's do/should work but don't want
    getting stung for the want of not asking!
    Tks.

Make sure the offset is between 48-52 and you'll be fine. I had a set of 19" BBS on my GTI that were 8.5J and there was no issue.

Also wider is better. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

My old GTI.
    Priced the exact same as it was November 2019 when I bought it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-golf-gti-p-2-0tsi-230bhp-5dr-tech/27887600

No doubt they'll tear off the nice pressed plates and screw in some surrounds before selling!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 c00lkat007

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    My old GTI.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-golf-gti-p-2-0tsi-230bhp-5dr-tech/27887600

No doubt they'll tear off the nice pressed plates and screw in some surrounds before selling!

Jesus, this prices are mad. So for nearly over 1 and a half years, they are saying the car didn't depreciate?... To be fair, at least it's a 2016 unlike the one below.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202102269506048?journey=Search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    My old GTI.

The lazy b&stards could have at least hoovered it.

I hear you on prices, they really are firming up, there's an R for sale where I bought mine in Dec 19 for the same price as I gave, but there's 28k more miles on it. It will probably sell too.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    The lazy b&stards could have at least hoovered it.

Exactly... €27K for a 5 year old car they can't be bothered to present properly.

Main dealers sometimes... jeeeesus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I find some of Joe Achilles content very tedious to put it midly, but this is one of the best videos I've seen him put together in a long time. He's out of his BMW comfort zone for a change so he's maybe a little more frank and loose with his own opinions on this one. Almost every review I've seen of the MK8 bitches about the infotainment setup without really convincing me that they're not just saying it because they heard someone else say it. JA's review here is the best summation I've seen yet.

Overall he's really impressed with the car though, despite his strong reservations about the interior.

Have to agree with him without having even seen on or driven one obviously!
    So assuming it’s fantastic to drive and he’s on the money about how fast it is, I can only agree with him about the new interior. It’s very cheap looking and every journalist/YouTube infulencer can’t be wrong about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

^^^ Have to agree. Was a bit shocked at the level of cheap plastics all over the cockpit. The centre console looks dreadful. VW have always led the way in that segment for quality interior, not anymore looking at that video.

Its a pretty nice place to sit in, in the metal...my brother in law collected a new R-Line last week, I sat in it for a brief spin. Very nice car inside and out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Having come from a MK7, definitely some parts of the MK8 interior are noticeably cheaper. Hardpak plastic can be found in some areas that were previously soft touch materials. I miss the lack of sliding cover for the centre cupholders plus the physical controls for the climate.

The use of the touchscreen for everything is annoying but I can get over it as I rarely need to change anything while driving. Still baffles me how putting all the controls through that is allowed fly from a safety perspective. However I do understand it is cheaper and also allows more of the car's functionality to be updated through OTA updates.

All that said though, you really do have to sit in a MK8 before passing judgement. The car is very well built, there are no quality concerns from my vantage point. It does everything well as a Golf should and comes with substantially more tech as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah I don't watch too many of his videos because I'm not his biggest fan, but I thought that was a really good review.

I reckon the infotainment system and lack of physical buttons would really p*as me off. That's not too say I won't someday end up in a Mk. 8.

Did he say the seats in the R are the same as the R-line?

And also, did he say he weighed 105 kg?!

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't watch too many of his videos because I'm not his biggest fan, but I thought that was a really good review.

I reckon the infotainment system and lack of physical buttons would really p*as me off. That's not too say I won't someday end up in a Mk. 8.

Did he say the seats in the R are the same as the R-line?

And also, did he say he weighed 105 kg?!

The seats in the R Line / GTI / R are identical. The upholstery is all that differs, but that’s the way it’s always been, other than the optional buckets in the MK7 CS.

Haha there’s hardly a video where he doesn’t mention his size... bit of an in-joke. He’s 6 foot+ so has some excuse...

Advertisement