Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Wow that is seriously seriously good value.

If it all checks out. I’d nearly buy that myself to make a turn on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another Cupra ST:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe98d11ffd4269fcb4d1554e34fc26595a7.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2600152&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D78%26o%5B%5D%3D673%26f%3D1%26nn%3D12%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

I wonder was it traded in for the 201 awd version I mentioned on the previous page? This one if fwd and a more basic spec though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

The Cupra ST really is a great looking car. It's hard to beat that value too at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Wireless CarPlay is excellent in fairness. I don't notice it impacting the battery either tbh. The wireless charger in the BMW is fairly hopeless though. Very slow, barely a trickle charge from it, so I gave up using that ages ago.

I hardly bothered with it in the Golf for the aforementioned reasons - faffing around with cables. Particularly on a short journey, I just wouldn't be bothered. I think the MK8 will have wireless, at least as an option.

MK8 has wireless CarPlay, but not wireless Android Auto which is a disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Noticed a rubbing sound when reversing into my driveway yesterday. Not sure what it is.
    It will sound when near full lock turning either direction forward or reverse.
    Any ideas? Mk7 GTI

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

theintern wrote: »
    MK8 has wireless CarPlay, but not wireless Android Auto which is a disappointment.

I was annoyed when I heard that it didn't have wireless Android Auto, but it's even more annoying that it has wireless Apple CarPlay :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10 techtalk101

Hi All,

(Firstly a big thanks to the knowledge and community on here. Great to see and read.)

I'm looking at buying a MK7 GTD privately.
    A 1 owner Irish 141 to be exact. 100k miles/160k Kms.
    T/b kit done. Some discs done. Two shocks replaced.
    Some slight oxidation on the original alloys and some stone chips on the front bumper etc but if its worth doing I will. 13k is the price
    Full history check is clean. (The amount of cat s/n UK cars in this country is horrific)

Any major faults or things to look for?
    I have seen the EGR mentioned quite a bit.
    Any other parts or even electronics I need to pay extra attention to wound be greatly appreciated.

Have owned a UK import 2012 CC GT 140bhp in the past but feel this is going to be a good move to keep for a good few years.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Seems awful cheap at 13k

Any link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Guys i have a set of standard coil springs here from my old GTD. 82k approx on them and they are in good condition, i replaced them with VWR lowering springs.

These lower standard models by 15mm iirc but as far as i know they wont fit the 1.6 TDi but should fit the 2.0. They are the same as GTi springs too afaik. Free to take away or else they are going to the dump as only taking up space. PM me if interested

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Another Cupra ST:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe98d11ffd4269fcb4d1554e34fc26595a7.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2600152&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D78%26o%5B%5D%3D673%26f%3D1%26nn%3D12%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

I wonder was it traded in for the 201 awd version I mentioned on the previous page? This one if fwd and a more basic spec though.

Gone too, these really don't hang around!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 techtalk101

L-M wrote: »
    Seems awful cheap at 13k

Any link

It's priced pretty keen alright.
    The alloys could do with a refurb, small dent knuckle sized on one of the doors, and plenty of stone chips all over the front bumper.

I wont share it or someone might snatch it up on me unfortunately..

It always confuses me why they change the ad to say 'Sold' instead of removing the ad entirely.

Saves them the cost of a new ad if the deal falls through they can just edit that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I finally got out to test drive a GTD yesterday evening. The car is high enough mileage @ 115k but it's in great nick. Paint work, alloys all sound and the interior is very fresh for a car with that mileage. I really liked the GTD for what it was, a comfortable mile muncher with a little punch when needed. I know it's obvious to say but it's just so boring compared to my ST. I'm torn now after driving it. I know that putting 25km a year on the ST won't do any good for the resale or my wallet but I really love the car.

How are high mileage GTDs regarded in general for second hand buyers? I never worry too much myself once the service history and required maintenance has been done and documented which it has in this case. Do ye reckon it would hold value well in a couple of years when I go to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

I know that putting 25km a year on the ST won't do any good for the resale

Sorry to jump in on this and I know it's a reasonable point of view to a lot of people but I have always disliked when people are buying new cars or own a car they really like and are concerned about its resale value.
    I don't know about others but I can't get behind the idea of considering how much you'll get for a car before you've even bought it. You're not buying it to sell it I suppose is my point of view, you're buying it to enjoy it or because that's what you want. Worry about resale when it's time to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I guess considering the resale is just going in with eyes open. Think this potential purchase sounds like a head over heart thing for economy reasons petrol -> diesel so it's a fair question.

If it was me, I'd keep the car you prefer even if it is a little sorer at the pumps. I really like those 5 pot STs if that's what it is. The golf as you say is a boring mill muncher by comparison.

When I bought my ST 2.5 years ago, I had the same mindset as that. I bought that car because it's ridiculously good fun, not because it'd hold its value. Now that I'm saving for a house deposit and have increased my weekly commute tenfold, this is more of a financial decision so of course resale value comes into it. I don't want to lose my hole on a car I don't even find overly exciting. I get what you're saying but I really think it's down to individual circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I guess considering the resale is just going in with eyes open. Think this potential purchase sounds like a head over heart thing for economy reasons petrol -> diesel so it's a fair question.

If it was me, I'd keep the car you prefer even if it is a little sorer at the pumps. I really like those 5 pot STs if that's what it is. The golf as you say is a boring mill muncher by comparison.

That's how I'd look at it.
    'damn I miss that car and someone else gets to enjoy it but at least I got a few euro extra for it' is not how I could do things.
    But then that kind 'enjoy while you can' way of thinking is what got me my first GTI and not looking back since :)

Sorry, I'm.probably over simplifying it as everyone's situation is different

You've hit the nail on the head as to why I'm even asking these questions. It's a 2013 ST, so only a 4 pot but I'm still attached!

• Advertisement

You've hit the nail on the head as to why I'm even asking these questions. It's a 2013 ST, so only a 4 pot but I'm still attached!

Keep it!

I went from a 161 Fiesta ST which i bought new to a GTD after 2.5 years as I was getting married and wanted to get a more sensible car. I only kept it 16 months and changed to a Golf R.

To be honest i am not finding it much more expensive to run, lockdown aside i was doing around 25k kms a year. Insurance is actually nearly 300 quid cheaper so that's offsetting the extra tax which is the only thing I don't like about it but its not crazy at 570 a year.

Keep the ST. Life is short, I reckon what you'll spend extra at the pumps you'll most likely lose in depreciation.

What's the cost of change for the GTD? If you're buying a car to save on fuel expenses, it rarely works out that you save anything really.

My father used to drive a 2006 Toyota Hilux that did roughly 20mpg and said it was breaking him. He changed to a Mazda CX-5 but ended spending around €28k to change. You'd buy a lot of diesel for that.

Final figure TBD but we've discussed somewhere between €2.5-€3k to change. I think it's a good trade in value he's offering me. I'd lose a small bit year 1, but I'd be saving around €2-2.5k per year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

40-50 a week at 500km a week? I know there's a tax difference (maybe insurance too?) But what are the calcs on that? Reason for asking is I don't think you're going to make a huge saving on running costs.

I do similar mileage in a Cupra, about 55 quid gets me 550km. It's not diesel mileage but it's realistically probably costing me only about €20 on fuel extra compared other cars I've had with the same engine as the GTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Keep the petrol ST.
    Like others have said before I bought a fast diesel because of the big mileage I do. I very soon got bored of it even though it was very fast (380bhp) it was just all a bit dull and too heavy.
    I’m now in a petrol again and love it. It will cost me probably about 150 more per month but life is short and while it’s less miles per gallon it’s a lot more smiles per gallon.

How do you find the ST? Any photos?

How do you find the ST? Any photos?

I really do love how it drives and how it looks. More than enough power when it's needed and it grips like a go cart when you're feeling brave enough on a fun spin on a twisty road. I must admit I'm not often feeling brave, but it's great having the power there for swift overtaking and getting off the line quickly.

The orange is a real head turner too and polarises opinion. I've had people tell me they don't know how I could be seen dead in it and people saying how much they love it. Fortunately I mostly only get the latter to my face! The only gripe I have myself with the appearance is the bonnet gap which always looks like it isn't closed properly.

The interior is decent and not a bad place to sit most of the time. The recaros are a little too snug for long journeys though and I do feel like I need to stretch my back after. The infotainment is just adequate, nothing special but functions well. It supposedly improves on the facelift model which has a bigger screen with Ford Sync 3, but I've never used it so can't compare. Besides those, it has some decent extras - cruise control & limiter, sat nav, reversing camera, heated recaros, active city stop, lane assist, blind spot indicators, traffic sign detection, keyless entry, auto wipers and headlights and some more that are standard.

g9oPTPu.jpg

CQyftoZ.jpg

QpCLHbS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

That's gorgeous, love the colour. No point in getting an ST or RS in anything but a mad colour IMO!

• Advertisement

Lovely car, I see the odd ST about up here but they are nearly always diesel, which I don't think Ford should ever have done. I think you would soon miss the petrol if you got the GTD, and as said changing a car at anytime normally has a large cost built in so may feel like saving money at the pump but in reality not.

I agree on that bonnet though, that's very odd! Hold on to it, unless you fancy a 3 series diesel, give me a shout :D

Advertisement