Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

Filmed it today, probably Sat or early Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Got this beauty over a year and half ago. Looks like no deprecation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Whether you like mat watson or not, he does a pretty good job of comparing cars it must be said. Golf gti and bmw 128ti here. Surprised he prefers the looks of the 1 series though. Neither are very pretty but the 1 is definitely uglier imo. Better to drive and much higher quality interior which is not a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This appears to be a well minded example for sale

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti/28049358

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I'm always wary of a shiny shiny car and then filthy as f00k tailpipes. Do some people have no shame?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Byrnesy919

Id like to get the new mk8 gti. Does PCP make sense? Being hit with a 15-25k buy fee at the end? HP is bit expensive at 1k+ a month. Id be willing to put a 10k deposit down. Or is it worth just upgrading to new model at emd of 3-4 years for example

Website says 0% finance on the gti golf too

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Byrnesy919 wrote: »
    Id like to get the new mk8 gti. Does PCP make sense? Being hit with a 15-25k buy fee at the end? HP is bit expensive at 1k+ a month. Id be willing to put a 10k deposit down. Or is it worth just upgrading to new model at emd of 3-4 years for example

Website says 0% finance on the gti golf too

Makes perfect sense

"Being hit with a 15-25k buy fee at the end" - Just refinance this amount at the end with the VW bank can be done over 36 months at 5.9%.

Turns your loan into a 6 year Hire purchase agreement first 3 years @ 0% last 3 years @ 5.9% but its on a smaller amount which means payment similar enough to what your paying on the first 3 years and lower interest

PCP is your only man @ 0% with the VW Bank - There is not even a document fee on the loan.

Rx713B wrote: »
    Makes perfect sense

"Being hit with a 15-25k buy fee at the end" - Just refinance this amount at the end with the VW bank can be done over 36 months at 5.9%.

Turns your loan into a 6 year Hire purchase agreement first 3 years @ 0% last 3 years @ 5.9% but its on a smaller amount which means payment similar enough to what your paying on the first 3 years and lower interest

PCP is your only man @ 0% with the VW Bank - There is not even a document fee on the loan.

Ah ok I see. I wonder how I see so many new nice cars around, most people finance their cars?

Ive never owned a new car before, is the mk8 a better buy over the mk7.5 ? I actually quite like the look of the mk8 and interior but i dont know whether to go manual or dsg, havent had manual in years so I kind of miss it tbh but dsg’s look very good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Makes perfect sense

Just to point out, there will be a document fee if you refinance, first and last payment will have the additional €75. Aside from that yeah, PCP is a great finance choice. Hard to go wrong at 0%, especially if they're throwing service plans in that's even better.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Just to point out, there will be a document fee if you refinance, first and last payment will have the additional €75. Aside from that yeah, PCP is a great finance choice. Hard to go wrong at 0%, especially if they're throwing service plans in that's even better.

Ah ok I suppose first id need to go see one and maybe test drive obviously. Im in Monaghan, what dealers do you recommend, i dont mind travelling far south

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

Makes perfect sense

This is what I'm considering in doing with my new Clubsport (when it finally arrives - in transport apparently). Might be one of the last "fun" hot hatches to drive as they're going to have the auto speed control etc on new cars manufactured from 2022 onwards.

So PCP at low rate and unless there is a very appealing electric car at that stage I'll probably finance the €22k at the end.

Ah ok I see. I wonder how I see so many new nice cars around, most people finance their cars?

Ive never owned a new car before, is the mk8 a better buy over the mk7.5 ? I actually quite like the look of the mk8 and interior but i dont know whether to go manual or dsg, havent had manual in years so I kind of miss it tbh but dsg’s look very good

I love the DSG having learned how to use it properly. e.g., use manual when approaching a roundabout or anticipating an overtake etc...manual is a pain in traffic.

If you are considering DSG and say upgrading your wheels, you'll be financially better off going for the Clubsport...The standard GTI has higher emissions somehow than the Clubsport so jumps into higher VRT band and gets more expensive. The PCP monthlies are almost the same as the future value of the Clubsport is higher so works out the same.

I love the DSG having learned how to use it properly. e.g., use manual when approaching a roundabout or anticipating an overtake etc...manual is a pain in traffic.

If you are considering DSG and say upgrading your wheels, you'll be financially better off going for the Clubsport...The standard GTI has higher emissions somehow than the Clubsport so jumps into higher VRT band and gets more expensive. The PCP monthlies are almost the same as the future value of the Clubsport is higher so works out the same.

Clubsport looks nice but nearly 10k more. I have a work vehicle so id say i would be doing less than 6k a year tbh.

Buying from north makes no sense no? Big vrt on a 212 gti?

Clubsport looks nice but nearly 10k more. I have a work vehicle so id say i would be doing less than 6k a year tbh.

Buying from north makes no sense no? Big vrt on a 212 gti?

If you're only doing small mileage then maybe the manual GTI would be the one for you.

I don't think you can take out the PCP up north so unless you've cash it wouldn't be practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

first review of the leon cupra 300tsi. Seems to be their version of clubsport gti.
    54k here new I think before delivery so no bargain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4mluIiaEYw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

carsfan2 wrote: »
    first review of the leon cupra 300tsi. Seems to be their version of clubsport gti.
    54k here new I think before delivery so no bargain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4mluIiaEYw

I don't think that makes any sense here at Clubsport money.

Factory orders for any of these cars is a big problem now. All very well offering 0% finance, its not much good if you can't get the car within a half reasonable timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

JoeA3 wrote: »

Factory orders for any of these cars is a big problem now. All very well offering 0% finance, its not much good if you can't get the car within a half reasonable timeframe.

What kind of timeframe are we talking for a new order Joe?

The Seat/Cupra selling point of offering more performance and kit for less money seems to be gone now in Ireland anyway.
    I am guessing dealers will have pre ordered some cars though Joe for 212.

What colour did you go for?

I only made tentative enquiries yesterday. The dealer was to go and make some calls to VW and suss it out. My father’s been waiting on a Tiguan since November! It’s built now but still hasn’t left Germany afaik. Dealer reckons it’s going to be like this across the board for some time due to the semi conductors shortage.

Colour wise, not sure. I don’t love any of them. But the wife got a new T-Roc last month in Atlantic Blue and I must say it’s gorgeous. I’d be tempted to go with that, but if it has to be a fresh factory order that takes 9 months I’m not sure I’ll bother!

• Advertisement

9 months!
    That’s incredible. Surely dealers have cars ordered in the system that can have their spec amended for customers?

Delays seem to be a huge problem in all brands now.

9 months!
    That’s incredible. Surely dealers have cars ordered in the system that can have their spec amended for customers?

Delays seem to be a huge problem in all brands now.

9 months is a number I read elsewhere. My dealer hasn’t come back to me yet with an estimation, but, going by my Dad’s experience, I reckon 5-6 months is best case, assuming an existing car in the system can’t be poached / amended. I’ll see what he comes back with!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is that 0% offer on the full retail price or does it apply on a straight deal discounted price also. I've seen some 0% offers in the past where you only get 0% on paying the full retail price so in essence if your not trading they are still getting extra money from you by paying full retail rather than via interest.

Actually is there scope for much discount on these cars with such short supply? Also would they honour the 0% finance if you ordered and had to wait up to 9 months for the car Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is that 0% offer on the full retail price or does it apply on a straight deal discounted price also. I've seen some 0% offers in the past where you only get 0% on paying the full retail price so in essence if your not trading they are still getting extra money from you by paying full retail rather than via interest.

Actually is there scope for much discount on these cars with such short supply? Also would they honour the 0% finance if you ordered and had to wait up to 9 months for the car Joe?

My understanding is that the discount offered on a straight deal is a separate matter and would not affect the offered finance rate. I didn’t get into numbers at all yet but there certainly should be some discount - I expect ~2.5k ish.

I think they would honour it if you had to wait but I’ve been caught out in the past with price increases while waiting for a factory order so it may be difficult for dealers to price cars at the moment with such lead times. What if it runs into late in the year… I’d be very hesitant to register a car any later than Sept/October.

My understanding is that the discount offered on a straight deal is a separate matter and would not affect the offered finance rate. I didn’t get into numbers at all yet but there certainly should be some discount - I expect ~2.5k ish.

I think they would honour it if you had to wait but I’ve been caught out in the past with price increases while waiting for a factory order so it may be difficult for dealers to price cars at the moment with such lead times. What if it runs into late in the year… I’d be very hesitant to register a car any later than Sept/October.

Yeah, if you can get a discount off it and 0% finance then it's a no brainer as there will be plenty of equity in a Clubsport in 3 years time. As you said the challenge will actually be getting the car. I think realistically if you are ordering now you would be looking at a 221 reg going by existing lead times.

Colour wise I like the GTi in Dolphin Grey. Doesn't stand out too much which is what would suit me personally. Still an easy colour to manage and looks well imo when clean.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yeah, if you can get a discount off it and 0% finance then it's a no brainer as there will be plenty of equity in a Clubsport in 3 years time. As you said the challenge will actually be getting the car. I think realistically if you are ordering now you would be looking at a 221 reg going by existing lead times.

Colour wise I like the GTi in Dolphin Grey. Doesn't stand out too much which is what would suit me personally. Still an easy colour to manage and looks well imo when clean.

Wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me if i had to wait for 221.

I’ve seen Dolphin grey in the metal. Not for me, it’s very flat and drab. Indium or limestone on the MK7 were infinitely nicer. There’s moonstone grey too which is a flavour of what I had on the BMW (flat, primer grey). I’d prefer something with a bit more pop this time, but if a car came up with the spec I want, the colour wouldn’t necessarily break it.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202105042195782?journey=Search

is this the blue you were talking about Joe?
    looks gorgeous in these pictures. I have to say I love the spec on this particular car.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202105042195782?journey=Search

is this the blue you were talking about Joe?
    looks gorgeous in these pictures. I have to say I love the spec on this particular car.

Yes that's it! I'd never have considered it but my wife got it on a T-Roc last month and its really nice. We haven't even washed it yet and it still looks good, whereas I used to find that my grey BMW looked oh so drab unless it was cleaned up.

There is a lovely spec on that (however I much prefer the Estoril wheels) but the nearly-new stuff looks pretty poor value to me. Asking prices aren't far off brand new and you will not get the same attractive finance deal.

• Advertisement

I'd say they are trying to play the availability card on those used ones versus 6 or 9 month waiting list on brand new ones. Will be a very hard sell if the finance package is not anywhere near as attractive though.

Advertisement