Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Was the HUD much more Joe? I think they are kinda cool.

About €850.
    yeah they are cool. I’ve experienced it in a friend’s car. One thing I found off putting about it was it didn’t work well with polarised sunglasses. Not sure if that’s an issue with the VW version though. There’s also a lot going on in the car already in terms of digital screens so I’m not convinced it’s worth the outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Lovely Joe, I think it looks really well in the silver too. Goes great with the red accents and brake calipers.

2017 gti are being retailed at closer to 30k than 25k, they were 40/42k new.... Are folk getting really great trade in prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

JoeA3 wrote: »
    About €850.
    yeah they are cool. I’ve experienced it in a friend’s car. One thing I found off putting about it was it didn’t work well with polarised sunglasses. Not sure if that’s an issue with the VW version though. There’s also a lot going on in the car already in terms of digital screens so I’m not convinced it’s worth the outlay.

I definitely find it useful, very well done I have to say. Haven't noticed any issues with sunglasses but I suppose they could vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kodirl

I ordered a CS this morning. Too soon to say yet when I might get it. 3 months minimum but fingers crossed it won't be much longer.

Congratulations on your purchase Joe! I was contemplating buying a used MK7.5 GTI but now if there is 0% finance on offer for the Clubsport I think this would be an offer that's too good to turn down. Does adding both a sunroof and 19" wheels significantly hike the price of the car up into a different VRT band?

• Advertisement

kodirl wrote: »
    Congratulations on your purchase Joe! I was contemplating buying a used MK7.5 GTI but now if there is 0% finance on offer for the Clubsport I think this would be an offer that's too good to turn down. Does adding both a sunroof and 19" wheels significantly hike the price of the car up into a different VRT band?

It depends on the combination of options rather than any individual one. The ones to be careful of are wheels, leather, HK audio and pano roof. A couple of them together or maybe even 3 of them is ok but tick all of them and you’re adding another 5% VRT onto the entire car. You can experiment with the configurator, it tells you the final Co2 figure. You need to keep it at or under 170g.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I really like Atlantic blue (yours is this isn’t it?) but I went with silver. I could change my mind again though!

Other than that, very similar to the spec GavRedKing picked. Estorils, adaptive chassis, camera and winter pack. Thought about HUD or pano roof but resisted.

Black estorils?
    Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

Fair play Joe! I’m sure my vid helped ;) ha ha

MarkN wrote: »
    Fair play Joe! I’m sure my vid helped ;) ha ha

ha ha! Sure did :p Definitely really good to see well produced reviews from an Irish perspective, such as yours.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Black estorils?

No, silver! I'm not mad on black wheels although I must admit they'd probably go very well with the silver paintwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just for anyone wondering about the CO2 if you build the car on the Vw website it’ll give you the C02 with different options.

L-M wrote: »
    Just for anyone wondering about the CO2 if you build the car on the Vw website it’ll give you the C02 with different options.

Yep, seems to be accurate too. I think anything that adds weight will potentially impact it. So HK Audio (adds a subwoofer in boot).. pano roof (heavier roof), leather (adds electric seats) and larger wheels are usually a bit heavier.

You just need to remember the prices on the configurator don't include the delivery-charge either. That's another €950.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

About €850.

I wear glasses all the time and have prescription polarised sunglasses for the car, it's hard to see the HUD in the BMW with them on too so it's not just a VW thing. It's certainly very handy at night if you do a lot of driving during that time but for the most part it's bit of a gimmick once the novelty is over.

Does the GTi CS come with the IQ matrix headlights as standard?

bazz26 wrote: »
    I wear glasses all the time and have prescription polarised sunglasses for the car, it's hard to see the HUD in the BMW with them on too so it's not just a VW thing. It's certainly very handy at night if you do a lot of driving during that time but for the most part it's bit of a gimmick once the novelty is over.

Does the GTi CS come with the IQ matrix headlights as standard?

It was actually a BMW where I noticed the sunglasses issue but I’d say it’s an issue with the technology in general, across the brands.

Yes those lights are standard. I experienced them first hand last year in an ID3, really impressive.

Hud emits light in one direction. Clashes with direction Polarised glasses allows it in.... They won't be solving that anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is there much of a saving with 0%? Did they give much discount?

Well wear, should be a nice motor.

The HUD seems to be well praised on the VW, definitely a cool feature to have.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Is there much of a saving with 0%? Did they give much discount?

Well wear, should be a nice motor.

The HUD seems to be well praised on the VW, definitely a cool feature to have.

Ah it depends on a few of factors, primarily the deposit you’re prepared to put in, but ballpark €2K cheaper over the course of 3 years compared to the more typical 1.9%.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

Congrats Joe, sounds like you've spec'd a class car! Hopefully you don't suffer the same wait as I have been!! I'd say they are catching up on themselves since the semiconductor delays...I believe mine has actually landed in the country but either way I'll be waiting for the 212 plate which was agreed with the garage...

The pan roof is actually one thing I regret not sticking on. I think you're right not going for the HUD, it's a cool gimmick but far from essential...
    Silver is a class colour too, only for my last one was silver I'd have gone with it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Thinking about changing my 520D to a Golf GTI or R for a while now.

As I tend to change cars every few months, buying new wouldn't be a feasible option for me - and the mk7.5's are still making strong money.

I had a mk7 GTD which I wasn't too keen on for many reasons, but this mk7 GTI is really after catching my eye. Anyone know the car or have anything to say about it? https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-volkswagen-golf-gti-dsg/28136713

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Murt102 wrote: »
    Thinking about changing my 520D to a Golf GTI or R for a while now.

As I tend to change cars every few months, buying new wouldn't be a feasible option for me - and the mk7.5's are still making strong money.

I had a mk7 GTD which I wasn't too keen on for many reasons, but this mk7 GTI is really after catching my eye. Anyone know the car or have anything to say about it? https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-volkswagen-golf-gti-dsg/28136713

Had seen that earlier it's got everything really you'd want it might also have DCC wouldn't be surprised if it had seeing as its got everything else... Going from a 4dr saloon to 3dr might not seem a biggie for some... Yeah it's keenly priced...

• Advertisement

Congrats Joe, sounds like you've spec'd a class car! Hopefully you don't suffer the same wait as I have been!! I'd say they are catching up on themselves since the semiconductor delays...I believe mine has actually landed in the country but either way I'll be waiting for the 212 plate which was agreed with the garage...

The pan roof is actually one thing I regret not sticking on. I think you're right not going for the HUD, it's a cool gimmick but far from essential...
    Silver is a class colour too, only for my last one was silver I'd have gone with it this time.

Jeez it feels like a long time now since you ordered!

I’m also conscious of adding options that could potentially add months to the wait. I’ve read that BMW have problems with supplying HK audio for example, so I expect VW are likely similar. My Dad put a load of kit in his mythical Tiguan which I’m sure has contributed to his excessive wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Thinking about changing my 520D to a Golf Anyone know the car or have anything to say about it? https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-volkswagen-golf-gti-dsg/28136713

Very nice spec on that and it's Irish too. The performance pack is well worth it imo, the diff transforms the handling.

That white 3 door does look a nice well cared for example. Good spec on it and definitely enthusiast-owned… you can tell by a few of the little mods. I’m not sure about the steering wheel though… Still, at least it looks well done.

It appears to be lowered too, so just be conscious of that, the ride could feel very firm to say the least, especially coming from a 5 series!

My dealer took in a very nice 142 black 5 door as a trade in on Friday. I was admiring it yesterday. Definitely enthusiast owned too, really clean. No idea on price as it had only just come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Nice spec Joe, if I was going for one it’d be the same extras but id probably chance the black estorils on white or moonstone.

Hope you get it sooner rather than later, am shocked you held out this long :D

Nice spec Joe, if I was going for one it’d be the same extras but id probably chance the black estorils on white or moonstone.

Hope you get it sooner rather than later, am shocked you held out this long :D

Haha! If it wasn’t for other draws on the wallet in the last year or so I would have gone for it sooner. Not easy to justify the man maths now either mind you as I’m working from home and probably will continue to do so indefinitely.

When are you ordering? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Haven't seen this guy before did a well presented review here on the R and joe best of luck enjoy riding your bike meantime ��
    https://youtu.be/6CT9aUDptZY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

For the mk7, there was a significant step up when comparing the R Vs GTi.

30%ish more power, bigger wheels, bigger brakes, 4wd and prob some extra standard spec like alarm etc. I can't exactly remember but I think it was about 4k more than the GTi at the time but that might be out.

With the mk8 things are different. I think the CS is the pick of them, money aside. The R "only" has an extra 20bhp on paper, although tests show prob more. The R gets the 4wd obviously but I think loses the diff unless you opt for the perf model? Same brakes, wheel size etc so after that it is just styling stuff, which is subjective but arguable the GTi looks better. The price difference now is 10k to step "up" also, which I'm failing to see any value in. I could see the value in making the step in the mk7.

......, but this mk7 GTI is really after catching my eye. Anyone know the car or have anything to say about it? https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-volkswagen-golf-gti-dsg/28136713

I'll make my usual comment. The price these are holding is mental :D

In 2017 a new 3dr dsg golf GTi was under 40k.

Clubsport 265bhp 3 door was 46k.

I couldn't pay 50% of the new price for a 6 year old car TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

If you think they are bad look at the price of Focus RS.

We are effectively Cuba now so prices will stay this way for a long time to come

• Advertisement

I dunno. An RS was always fairly niche.There's one RS for sale on carzone. Golf GTi fairly common in comparison :)

It is what it is but 50%+ of the new price for a 6 year old GTi is mental IMO.

Almost as bad (or good) as Landcruisers.

Advertisement