Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Supply and demand. If they weren’t in demand the prices wouldn’t be as strong. They’re in absolutely huge demand at the moment. A 2 year old R went up for sale in a local indie dealer near me last week for 46k. It was gone within a day or two. It wasn’t a particularly mint example either.

That said I agree with you, I couldn’t spend 30-40k on a 2-3 year old car, it somehow makes the new car seem “good value”. Yes I know, man maths….

Indeed Joe, new does indeed look sensible, not even utilising man maths IMO.

It's almost across the board now though...181 bogo Octavia etc etc all mental money also for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Used values across the board have gone up but especially in more sought after models it appears.
    Supply and demand as well as higher new car prices I suppose. The fact that mark 8 performance golfs have increased in price helps residuals on mark 7.
    If you can afford it zero percent finance and free services coupled with some discount I assume Joe makes a new one a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

A new car makes sense if you have a nice deposit to lump in. Anything less than 10k and you're paying a second mortgage.

In comparison to the 151 I reckon this one looks value .. Accepting it's manual, 5 door and the wheels.... https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202012307505592?journey=Search

• Advertisement

It's a base spec non performance pack car so no diff etc. I think they are asking enough for it.

But sure we're effectively in Cuba etc etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

hooch-85 wrote: »
    A new car makes sense if you have a nice deposit to lump in. Anything less than 10k and you're paying a second mortgage.

On zero percent finance though putting in as little as possible makes most sense surely?

carsfan2 wrote: »
    On zero percent finance though putting in as little as possible makes most sense surely?

If you put in 5-6k the repayments are around €750 a month

Augeo wrote: »
    But sure we're effectively in Cuba etc etc :D

Yeah and they'll probably sell it eventually but I don't think it's a car that an enthusiast looking for a GTi would go for, imo

• Advertisement

Sure theres more than enthusiasts driving them, someone bought it new etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

If ye seen my car history then going from a 4dr saloon to a 3dr hatchback would be no surprise... my saved searches on Donedeal at the moment are hugely varied but the white Golf is the only car that has gotten my interest recently.

Very strong money is right when it is put into the above perspective.. it is a 6yr old GTI for €24k, I sold my 6yr old GTD in similar spec last year for €14k. Was there even €10k of a difference when new?

Augeo wrote: »
    In 2017 a new 3dr dsg golf GTi was under 40k.

Clubsport 265bhp 3 door was 46k.

... Again 2017 RRP.... DSG GT 3dr 41k, 5dr 42k

I don’t think quoting the RRP of these cars 4-5 years ago is of great relevance. Everything was cheaper 5 years ago! The market is dictating the current prices. Both the Brexit situation and the VRT hikes have changed the landscape. The used cars are being priced relative to what a new one today costs, not what it cost 5 years ago. And they’re being snapped up at that money.

It’s great news for anyone who did buy a nice Clubsport in 2016 and wants to sell now. Unfortunately for me I always seem to time this stuff very badly!

Murt102 wrote: »
    ....Was there even €10k of a difference when new?
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    I don’t think quoting the RRP of these cars 4-5 years ago is of great relevance. Everything was cheaper 5 years ago! ........ badly!

The chap had a query

Ah I missed that bit.

The GTI PP and GTD in MK7 guise were similar money new. Actually I think the diesel was a little more. But the depreciation on the diesel is much more severe, thanks to a glut of UK imports (pre Brexit) and the general move away from diesel in the last couple of years. Used GTI’s seem to plateau in the low to mid 20’s, even for a 6-7 year old one whereas a similar GTD could be worth up to 10k less. GTD’s also tend to have bigger miles and less spec.

Murt102 wrote: »
    If ye seen my car history then going from a 4dr saloon to a 3dr hatchback would be no surprise... my saved searches on Donedeal at the moment are hugely varied but the white Golf is the only car that has gotten my interest recently.

Very strong money is right when it is put into the above perspective.. it is a 6yr old GTI for €24k, I sold my 6yr old GTD in similar spec last year for €14k. Was there even €10k of a difference when new?

No there wasn't. Similarly I sold a GTD for 17 and paid 27 for an R. The reason the GTD's don't hold their value as well is due to cheap VRT, but the values of diesels have steadied up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 c00lkat007

How about this example? https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202105072307426?journey=Search
    Would you pay this much for a private sale?
    It looks clean and great spec. If it was priced at 25000, I would consider however at this price it only makes sense to get from a main dealer where you have good comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's going on with that driver seat, it's in tatters for a car with only 60k on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I don’t think quoting the RRP of these cars 4-5 years ago is of great relevance. Everything was cheaper 5 years ago! The market is dictating the current prices. Both the Brexit situation and the VRT hikes have changed the landscape. The used cars are being priced relative to what a new one today costs, not what it cost 5 years ago. And they’re being snapped up at that money.

It’s great news for anyone who did buy a nice Clubsport in 2016 and wants to sell now. Unfortunately for me I always seem to time this stuff very badly!

Agree with this statement. Market forces and scarcity are driving prices up.

I don't imagine people that buy appreciating assets such as Ferraris complain about original selling prices when they purchase.

Its an ideal time to sell. So much so I am considering selling my 2016 Golf R. I had no plans to move it on so soon but hard to resist taking advantage of the current market conditions.

• Advertisement

I don't imagine people that buy appreciating assets such as Ferraris complain about original selling prices when they purchase. ................

A Focus RS was a stretch, now ye are on about Ferrari :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Agree with this statement. Market forces and scarcity are driving prices up.

I don't imagine people that buy appreciating assets such as Ferraris complain about original selling prices when they purchase.

Its an ideal time to sell. So much so I am considering selling my 2016 Golf R. I had no plans to move it on so soon but hard to resist taking advantage of the current market conditions.

Only really works though if you sell it and don't upgrade. Selling it and buying a cheap run around may work, but with prices up on all stuff, the cost to change is probably same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

What's going on with that driver seat, it's in tatters for a car with only 60k on it.
    Spotted that too, bit off-putting

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bit of issue with my dealer and ordering, suspect the VRT band has been miscalculated and I was being charged a bit more than what I should have been.

Should be rectified tomorrow but cheers to Joe for the help the last few days.

Good to see there's a still a market for performance hot hatches even if the VRT is ridiculously high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

Well, could any of ya be tempted to go to the dark side?!

074-F2304-C12-F-4-E41-89-A4-7-D8-B224-E5596.jpg
    43366-DE0-CC86-4-F4-D-BA78-44-C8-F5-AA8330.jpg
    2820976-E-06-C1-4-BB2-9-CCE-5047691471-CB.jpg
    B2-BA8-A10-2153-43-FA-85-EC-94-B8-F206-E83-E.jpg
    94-F9-EF45-9-BB2-4-A7-C-A2-B6-9-B936-E014-AE2.jpg
    277-EC42-C-CCFE-4-E33-A45-E-70-C9824-A4-C22.jpg
    8009-F22-E-A47-D-42-DF-BC4-C-A6-ADE539-D21-B.jpg
    E636229-D-0-DBE-4120-94-BD-CB29-B249-D9-FC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

That’s bite your arm off ugly.

I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I can’t understand the front of those. It’s just nothing but hideous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Looking forward to see what you think of it Mark and how it compares to the GTi. It's very closely matched with spec and price.

I just looked on config site there and a white one with the "pro pack" (tints, 19s and HK) is 52k, so prob 50ish.

Comparing it with the Clubsport, although I've always preferred BMs I think it doesn't stand up against the CS at all. Only thing in favour would maybe be the infotainment system in the BM.

CS has more power, proper diff, looks better, finance is better too (1.9%) with BM. Also, crystal ball stuff but I'd say a 3 year old CS would be worth a bit more than that BM as performance golfs are a known entity and have a following. Fwd beamers that look like that, less so.

• Advertisement

I don't dislike it. I'm not fond of the exterior looks (who is), but the interior is definitely more premium than the VW, if thats your thing. More actual buttons too and less reliance on the touch screens.

I casually enquired about one months ago when I heard that they undercut the GTI, but when I saw the actual prices (post the VRT hikes), it clearly wasn't the cheaper GTI alternative. A bit of fake news was going on there for sure. Like the GTI you also need to be very careful with spec as it is on the cusp of the higher VRT band.

For a lot of the reasons Vintage outlined above, I choose the GTI.

Advertisement