Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

I don't find it ugly or anything but its dated already IMO. If that drove past you with 151 plates on it you'd not remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I was tempted by the 128ti alright, right colour and wheels and it's not too bad but with the residuals, you'd be better off in a GTi.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Augeo wrote: »
    I don't find it ugly or anything but its dated already IMO. If that drove past you with 151 plates on it you'd not remark.

I know what you mean, if you squint a little it looks like my brothers 152 i30 especially at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

A Focus RS was a stretch, now ye are on about Ferrari :pac:

Replace Ferrari with any of the following watches, art, wine, sneakers, Comics books, stamps, etc etc. Same idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Looking forward to see what you think of it Mark and how it compares to the GTi. It's very closely matched with spec and price.

I just looked on config site there and a white one with the "pro pack" (tints, 19s and HK) is 52k, so prob 50ish.

Comparing it with the Clubsport, although I've always preferred BMs I think it doesn't stand up against the CS at all. Only thing in favour would maybe be the infotainment system in the BM.

CS has more power, proper diff, looks better, finance is better too (1.9%) with BM. Also, crystal ball stuff but I'd say a 3 year old CS would be worth a bit more than that BM as performance golfs are a known entity and have a following. Fwd beamers that look like that, less so.

I think the 128ti is a rival to the gti, not clubsport. In that comparison it has more power. CS and M135i would be a better comparison there.

• Advertisement

Replace Ferrari with any of the following watches, art, wine, sneakers, Comics books, stamps, etc etc. Same idea.

Are you suggesting a GTI is an appreciating asset?

I don't think they are going for more than what they were new to be honest............. So not the same idea at all, at all, at all.
    I don't imagine people that buy appreciating assets such as Ferraris complain about original selling prices when they purchase.

Again, someone asked what was the new price difference between a GTi and a GTD, no need for the fanbois to go mad IMO.

An comparing the second hand price of a car to the new price of that car is quite sane........ it's not fncking fine art or wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

Are you suggesting a GTI is an appreciating asset?

I don't think they are going for more than what they were new to be honest............. So not the same idea at all, at all, at all.

Again, someone asked what was the new price difference between a GTi and a GTD, no need for the fanbois to go mad IMO.

An comparing the second hand price of a car to the new price of that car is quite sane........ it's not fncking fine art or wine.

Its a product that consumers buy just like wine/art/shoes/stamps/milk/wallpaper/pens, etc. Some products are more desirable than others.

I bought a Golf R last year and its gone up in value since due to market conditions. You do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Its a product that consumers buy just like wine/art/shoes/stamps/milk/wallpaper/pens, etc. Some products are more desirable than others.

I bought a Golf R last year and its gone up in value since due to market conditions. You do the maths.

I got offered more for mine yesterday from a trader, than I paid for it 18 months ago, cash sale also not a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Wailin wrote: »
    I think the 128ti is a rival to the gti, not clubsport. In that comparison it has more power. CS and M135i would be a better comparison there.

Yeah I hear you but I think if you specced up a VW Vs a BM with options etc that you wanted, and if you are buying on finance the 128 and CS are prob closer as package/cost. With residuals likely stronger on the VW I think a CS would be less expensive ownership experience and offers more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I got offered more for mine yesterday from a trader, than I paid for it 18 months ago, cash sale also not a trade in.

Are you tempted? The question then would be what to replace it with that hasn't also skyrocketed in price.

I recently looked at trading my GTI and got a trade in value of 6k less than I paid for it over 2 years ago, that's depreciation I can happily live with. The problem though was they had inflated the price of the newer model so much, it cancelled out any gains.

• Advertisement

eljono wrote: »
    Are you tempted? The question then would be what to replace it with that hasn't also skyrocketed in price.

I recently looked at trading my GTI and got a trade in value of 6k less than I paid for it over 2 years ago, that's depreciation I can happily live with. The problem though was they had inflated the price of the newer model so much, it cancelled out any gains.

I was and the only thing to me that would make sense from here would be a MK8 CS. it would leave me with a decent enough deposit and no doubt I'd be able to put more away before an order would arrive but I don't want to get tied into a brand new car right now so I am not going to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Rare Cupra Leon ST 4Drive, nice colour too:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe98ef770091b10015b3a3fdd14761e6b5f.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/2831979

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Taxed until April next year. A nice bonus and a lot of car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

bazz26 wrote: »

That'll be gone by Friday no doubt. Great looking car and looks like value too.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone already. They sell nearly as quickly as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Nice colour. Very nice tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's a lovely example, but still, 32k for 2018 one? And you know they won't price your trade in with "new" second hand car prices in mind.

It's definitely a sellers market right now. It will be gone in few days.

€32k is a decent price I would have thought, that would have been pretty much a 50k car new and the tax is a nice bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭easyvision

€32k is a decent price I would have thought, that would have been pretty much a 50k car new and the tax is a nice bonus.

They were def under 45k when new in 2018 as far as I remember. I feel like a few years ago they were selling demos same year in the late 30s

Does anyone have any concrete figures for the 0% golf GTI/D etc etc? I’ve a 2017 GTD auto and I only have it 18 months or so and I’m just getting bored :( great car but that bug keeps biting :( it probably wouldn’t make any sense to change really.

• Advertisement

easyvision wrote: »
    They were def under 45k when new in 2018 as far as I remember. I feel like a few years ago they were selling demos same year in the late 30s

The 4Drive ones were never that cheap.

The 4Drive ones were never that cheap.

Ah yep maybe not , confusing with regular ones! Still was a decent price for performance.

Ah yep maybe not , confusing with regular ones! Still was a decent price for performance.

I've done some digging and they did indeed start around the 45k mark but with a few options were closer to 50. So I have to stand corrected on that one. I still believe €32 is a decent price for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Spotted a lovely 191 one of these down in Dunmore East on Sunday if that was anyone here. Much prefer these to the R estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Does anyone have any concrete figures for the 0% golf GTI/D etc etc? I’ve a 2017 GTD auto and I only have it 18 months or so and I’m just getting bored :( great car but that bug keeps biting :( it probably wouldn’t make any sense to change really.

What figures are you looking for?

I know that the GFV for the CS and ED45 is €22,570. The figure for the standard GTI DSG is about €21k. Not sure what it is for the manual, probably a bit under 20k. Based on those figures and whatever spec you add onto the car, you can roughly work out what the car would cost you, depending on what deposit you have, e.g.

invoice price on car: 50k.

deposit: 12k.
    GFV: 21k.
    17K repayable over 36 months = €472 p/m.

Do you need to be brave or blind?

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9aed717aa12de2e4ddb80ab4ac933647c.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/2837363

Do you need to be brave or blind?

https://www.carsireland.ie/2837363

You'd be married to it

JoeA3 wrote: »
    What figures are you looking for?

I know that the GFV for the CS and ED45 is €22,570. The figure for the standard GTI DSG is about €21k. Not sure what it is for the manual, probably a bit under 20k. Based on those figures and whatever spec you add onto the car, you can roughly work out what the car would cost you, depending on what deposit you have, e.g.

invoice price on car: 50k.

deposit: 12k.
    GFV: 21k.
    17K repayable over 36 months = €472 p/m.

Thanks yep the GFMV ones are the ones I was looking for, handy to work out then. If they have 0% next year I might possibly look then. I dont think it makes sense for me to look now as much as Id like to! Need to see what this post covid drama has in store work wise before committing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MoJoCaine

• Advertisement

MoJoCaine wrote: »

It’s a no from me :(

Advertisement