Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

MoJoCaine wrote: »

The wheels look better than any of the current IC car’s options IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

JoeA3 wrote: »
    What figures are you looking for?

I know that the GFV for the CS and ED45 is €22,570. The figure for the standard GTI DSG is about €21k. Not sure what it is for the manual, probably a bit under 20k. Based on those figures and whatever spec you add onto the car, you can roughly work out what the car would cost you, depending on what deposit you have, e.g.

invoice price on car: 50k.

deposit: 12k.
    GFV: 21k.
    17K repayable over 36 months = €472 p/m.
    I’d probably be better off doing that than getting 3 year old one like I planned. Not a guarantee but I reckon you would have 10k if you wanted to go again in 3 years time.

MarkN wrote: »
    Well, could any of ya be tempted to go to the dark side?!

074-F2304-C12-F-4-E41-89-A4-7-D8-B224-E5596.jpg
    I really like this. The cabin looks a lot nicer than the golf and a lot of reviewers say it is better to drive, I also think the standard 18’s look great. Not so sure on the red decals but saw one that was red with black decals that looked really good.

I’m assuming you are missing options when compared to a golf? I looked on their website but it’s not there so can’t build it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can delete the red decals from the factory build when ordering on the BMW configurator.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Zurbaran wrote: »
    I really like this. The cabin looks a lot nicer than the golf and a lot of reviewers say it is better to drive, I also think the standard 18’s look great. Not so sure on the red decals but saw one that was red with black decals that looked really good.

I’m assuming you are missing options when compared to a golf? I looked on their website but it’s not there so can’t build it.

Missing lots but it depends how important any of it is to you. Keyless, adaptive cruise, full digital dash, jeez even rear tints and rear split/fold seat aren’t standard afaik. By the time you add a few bits like that it’s over CS money and makes a lot less sense.
    The wheels are certainly a nicer design than the standard VW 18’s but they look undersized on the car imo. And overall it’s not a looker. Interior quality is good alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

How's your mate getting on with the m135i Joe, and did you take it for a spin yourself?

Wailin wrote: »
    How's your mate getting on with the m135i Joe, and did you take it for a spin yourself?

He absolutely loves it, a full-on BMW convert after years of VAG. I didn’t drive it yet, hopefully one of the days. I did drive my other buddy’s m340i though. Incredible car. Ultimate modern day sleeper.

Missing lots but it depends how important any of it is to you. Keyless, adaptive cruise, full digital dash, jeez even rear tints and rear split/fold seat aren’t standard afaik. By the time you add a few bits like that it’s over CS money and makes a lot less sense.
    The wheels are certainly a nicer design than the standard VW 18’s but they look undersized on the car imo. And overall it’s not a looker. Interior quality is good alright.
    I expected active cruise to be an option since I think it is on most BMW’s which is bad enough but no split folding rear seats as standard on a hatch is a joke. To a lesser extent keyless entry which I thought would be standard by now.

Have also read on here I think that upgrading the audio is something to look into as the standard audio on BMW’s is poor?

Edit: forgot to ask if anyone knows the difference in the full digital dash over the normal one other than a digital dash and bigger infotainment screen? Personally I don’t mind an analogue dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I enjoyed that, very balanced and surprised by your final thought but can see why. Also, I didn't realise this had an LSD in it, so brings it closer to the CS in terms of spec. The two GTIs and this really do offer a fair bit of choice in that segment.

Better gearbox, interior and infotainment in the beamer. Better to drive too you reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

Not huge differences but enough to say it’s a bit better. You just feel that bit more connected - auto box aside. A manual would be deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Nice review Mark.
    The interior is gorgeous on the BMW but it’s awful looking and the GTI is far better looking with an awful interior!
    For the money I’d say a GTI Clubsport is hard to beat though.

It is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

It is there.

Yeah it’s definitely on the configurator alright.
    I think it looks good in black with the red accents. White is the worst as the grille is most obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I expected active cruise to be an option since I think it is on most BMW’s which is bad enough but no split folding rear seats as standard on a hatch is a joke. To a lesser extent keyless entry which I thought would be standard by now.

Have also read on here I think that upgrading the audio is something to look into as the standard audio on BMW’s is poor?

Edit: forgot to ask if anyone knows the difference in the full digital dash over the normal one other than a digital dash and bigger infotainment screen? Personally I don’t mind an analogue dash.

It could be an older version of iDrive, unless that has since changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I saw an M135i in person and must say it looks better than pictures, and nicer that the Golf, in my view at least.

The 1 and 2 GC are very sensitive to the right colour and spec. They can look awful or great.

The interiors are more than 1 step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

That's interesting MarkN. I've been looking at them and I'm leaning to the 128ti over the Clubsport & Cupra Leon, mainly for the (more logical) infotainment & interior. However, the Octavia VRS is more tempting as the infotainment & interior seems more logical than the GTi & Cupra and it's about €8k cheaper.

I am going to be looking at the new Octavia for a family member and that will tell a lot about the new VAG "infotainment" system for usability, etc. If the VAG infotainment is out in the Octavia, it's out for the Leon and GTi so it's going to be the 128ti then by default. My logic is that I'd rather have a usable interior than a (slightly) ugly nose that I can't see when I'm driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

moleyv wrote: »
    The 1 and 2 GC are very sensitive to the right colour and spec. They can look awful or great.

The great thing now is that you'll be able to spec both of those with Individual paints so you'll be able to get virtually any colour you want. For the extra cost of course.

It is there.

Found it eventually. Built one with metallic active cruise and hk audio, came to 53.5k so it’s clubsport money when you take into account the apr.

No option to upgrade to digital dash so I think that’s standard. Think I read that it is in the uk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Found it eventually. Built one with metallic active cruise and hk audio, came to 53.5k so it’s clubsport money when you take into account the apr.

No option to upgrade to digital dash so I think that’s standard. Think I read that it is in the uk now.
    The fully digital dash and bigger screen are now standard I think due to component shortages of the basic system. I think the price was increased by the amount of the upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This isn't a bad price for a 1 year old GTi Performance given some of the crazy asking prices for fast Golfs at the moment:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9b834a30d0fc8a92ef8b5c497731ed00f.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/2645328

And.. It’s gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

I enjoyed that review.

Nothing in it that we haven’t seen before really. Bob tends to be very light on detail but he’s an easy watch all the same.

I had an update from VW this morning via my dealer.
    They're not building any more performance Golf's until all existing stocks are sold. Dealers are being advised to inform customers to expect a ~6 month lead time. It will be October at the earliest before my car arrives. So it'll be a 221 reg I reckon, assuming I just don't get bored and cancel it.

Oh and there's a €640 price increase from MY22. Nice :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Will you have to pay that 640?

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Will you have to pay that 640?

I expect a good chunk of it yeah... he did warn me that due to the situation he couldn't stand over current prices and a hike was imminent.

The R is increasing by another ~1K!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Mental

Advertisement