Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

You'd think that but it makes no mention of VRT on the ad and is listed as UK Reg.

They wouldn’t be selling it on a UK reg

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Yea if your not doing a lot of long spins you wouldn't need it, I rarely use the heated seats either, I do have the R in comfort mode a lot that suspension setting really soaks up the bumps not sure if it was available on the cupra again unless your covering a lot of mixed ground standard suspension is good enough, I'd no complaints with the GTI suspension it's a lot lighter car though.
    Ive leather now with heated seats so wanted it on the next although I might not need it in suede like seats which aren’t as cold to begin with.

Cupra has adaptive dampers as standard from what I’ve read and seen on reviews. Another thing that was mentioned in one review was that even though the radar is there you don’t get acc unless you went for the lux spec which that one I posted isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I actually found the standard suspension better on the R (on 19's) than the GTI I had before it (18's). The R felt less skitty and unsettled on the bumps, much more planted. Presumably due to the extra weight in the back especially.

Maybe it was the one I test drove but I jumped straight into it after driving the GTI over, the GTI was much sweeter on the bumps, I walked away as I preferred mine even though the R had me grinning ear to ear coming out of the bends, Hooch would know the road well between borris and nenagh, it's a good test of any cars capabilities.
    There's not a lot between an R and Revo GTI until rough weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

You're right, especially on that road! A revo mapped GTI is a fast car, on the right road in dry weather the weight makes a big difference and the GTi is the faster car.. I remember being chased by a guy around Connemara on similar type roads a few years ago, he had a supposedly 340bhp Audi s3 and I was in my 200ish hp Fiesta ST and he couldn't keep up on the twisty bits, on a straight I would be slaughtered but its not all about horse power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

hooch-85 wrote: »
    The Brescia wheels are from the 7.5, are you sure it was those? Possible that someone retrofitted them afterwards of course.

Sorry meant Adelaide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I like those cupras, just jumped on their site and they are a 54k car. 2.9% APR too. Makes it hard to see past the CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah they're lovely.
    Can't seem to spec the wheels he has on it.
    Mat Watson also had the same wheels in his Cupra Leon review today.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I like those cupras, just jumped on their site and they are a 54k car. 2.9% APR too. Makes it hard to see past the CS.

I think they’re giving 1500 cash back too which would take away some of the interest costs, but the price advantage they had on the last model seems to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

vintagevrs wrote: »

It's hard to make a case for one when the price is up there with the VW equivalent.

• Advertisement

Test drive in a 128i today, really impressed by the power, handing, and interior. Thinking about it...

DF5-C4-FD9-A6-E9-4-E95-8-DEF-BE9-F3-E23057-A.jpg

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Test drive in a 128i today, really impressed by the power, handing, and interior. Thinking about it...

That looks well in black.hides the grille.
    I think white is the worst colour in it.
    Any discount available on them?

Thread may have to be renamed to include cupra and 128ti!

Agreed it should be a hot hatch thread at this stage :)

Dark colours work much better on it. I've asked for a prize on that one as the spec is really good. They only got it in yesterday so it's delivery mileage

I don't need a car right now so I'm willing to wait for a factory order but at the right price on that one I'd probably take it 212 reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,551 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

To me, the pedigree of the GTi holds it above the beamer, however, the 128i in black takes it up a notch

everlast75 wrote: »
    To me, the pedigree of the GTi holds it above the beamer, however, the 128i in black takes it up a notch

The problem is every car in this category has some real downsides now. The Mk7.5 GTI in all forms was pretty special. Now because of taxes the price has rocketed and the interior isn't what ud expect of a car in that bracket. The looks are only OK too. Cupra is a ridiculous price too for what it is and those copper accents are awful. I think the last generation of VAG hot hatches was a high point.

I'm sure the GTI is a great car especially in CS form but it's an awful lot of money for a VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The biggest issue at the 50-60k price range for me are the residuals.

Fast VWs tend to historically hold their value slightly better than any of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

In fairness that’s much better than the other colours in it, definitely hides the huge grill.
    The only thing is black is impossible to keep clean, my car is black and looks great when cleaned but looks awful the rest of the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The problem is every car in this category has some real downsides now. The Mk7.5 GTI in all forms was pretty special. Now because of taxes the price has rocketed and the interior isn't what ud expect of a car in that bracket. The looks are only OK too. Cupra is a ridiculous price too for what it is and those copper accents are awful. I think the last generation of VAG hot hatches was a high point.

I'm sure the GTI is a great car especially in CS form but it's an awful lot of money for a VW.

To be fair they're all a ridiculous price for what they are. I think the Cupra is a far better looking car on the outside than the Golf equivalents - the matte blue in the video below is gorgeous. I didn't mind the copper accents until he shows you what a scratched wheel looks like - that would put me right off. Never been a fan of the chunky looking sports seats either.

maddness wrote: »
    In fairness that’s much better than the other colours in it, definitely hides the huge grill.
    The only thing is black is impossible to keep clean, my car is black and looks great when cleaned but looks awful the rest of the time.

I think it was carsfan2 who posted a link to a misano blue one which looked great with the black grill too. Much better than the white anyway.

I think in the end of the day you'll lose a fair chunk on a new car over the first few years regardless of the model.

I think with the way VRT is going on new cars and the scarcity of these types of cars in Ireland, residuals could be decent across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the 128i doesn't look the worst in red or blue either even with the hideous grill:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2807027

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apLcWBZFA-w&t=9s

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think the 128i doesn't look the worst in red or blue either even with the hideous grill:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2807027

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apLcWBZFA-w&t=9s
    Those are by far the best two colours. I actually prefer it to the golf looks wise. Might be because I like the grill.

I’ve seen it mentioned that the residuals won’t be as good but I have a feeling they will be very similar. There’s been a big reaction to it online with every reviewer I’ve seen say it’s better to drive and obviously the interior and infotainment is way better and I think that will play into it.

Say 3 years down the road and you are considering both? I reckon pretty much anyone would go for this if there was say a 3k difference when compared to a clubsport, so assuming that they won’t be much cheaper at all because I reckon the price will stay around the same.

A lot of assumptions but to me it seems logical.

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Those are by far the best two colours. I actually prefer it to the golf looks wise. Might be because I like the grill.

I’ve seen it mentioned that the residuals won’t be as good but I have a feeling they will be very similar. There’s been a big reaction to it online with every reviewer I’ve seen say it’s better to drive and obviously the interior and infotainment is way better and I think that will play into it.

Say 3 years down the road and you are considering both? I reckon pretty much anyone would go for this if there was say a 3k difference when compared to a clubsport, so assuming that they won’t be much cheaper at all.

A lot of assumptions but to me it seems logical.

Agreed, a lot of people don't read reviews though, they just want a GTI or R :D

Agreed, a lot of people don't read reviews though, they just want a GTI or R :D

I dunno, is there really many out there who buys a gti/r that doesn’t at least know a little bit about cars? Maybe there is but to me this is the first real contender to the gti. I know the gti has been compared to for instance the type r and Megane rs among others for years but they were always a bit boy racery and less grown up image wise. This is a different kettle of fish altogether.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1371646126553127&id=686354118415668

mineral grey 128ti with the accents deleted looks very stealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

carsfan2 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1371646126553127&id=686354118415668

mineral grey 128ti with the accents deleted looks very stealthy.

While I’m not much of a fan of the red skirts - I think even the shade of red looks a bit odd - I think that car looks just a bit too stealthy. It could be a 116d, but if that’s the look you’re after… similarly on the GTI there is a “black pack” option which deletes the red grill stripe. I’d have it only for that as the gloss mirror caps are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Google photos tells me I have the Cupra a year today. In a moment of madness I had been pondering selling it but without spending an insane amount of money there wasn’t anything else that was going to give what it can. For my now much lower mileage it really ticks a lot of boxes. It’s fun, has a bit of space, can do the daily stuff and has all the tech I need.

4-A5-FA346-BBF1-4-AD2-83-E5-E89-D84-EC0054.jpg

It’s laid up at the moment waiting for an upgraded clutch because the standard chocolate ones started to slip a little and I don’t want to get stuck anywhere. It will be getting treated to a racingline R600 intake and all the bits that go with it at the same time. After changing cars relatively often the last while I think what I’ve been missing is making one my own.

< insert CIP4 plot twist here :D >

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If ACC wasn't next to impossible to retrofit a secondhand Cupra would be the dream, price wise you'd have a bit left over for some tasteful mods and Seat's APR is a lot better on secondhand stuff. Such a nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

If it’s got front assist you can retrofit ACC.

Importing an option? VRT is hefty enough but for the right car it could be worth it. They come up for sale in the north frequently enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    - I have a bit of soundaktor rattle which will be sorted when I drop back in.
    - There's a knocking or "something not running smoothly" feeling coming through the floor/pedals. Suggestions include a bad spigot ring (I'm not sure factory wheels need spigot rings?) . It'll also be looked at when I drop back in.
    - You'd miss the red accents and the red line up front.

Got these sorted eventually, took two visits to VW. The soundaktor was sorted on first trip. They swapped wheels around also to see if it got rid of the knocking coming through the floor, it didn't. Went back in and they found it was wheel bearing failure, so had that fixed under warranty. Great.

They also noted that I have a very mild buckle on one of the wheels, which isn't ideal. They showed me a video of it turning on the lift and there's a slight wobble alright can this be fixed or is it a new wheel kind of job? It's going in to be repaired in Wheel Wizards

• Advertisement

Roll on July 1st. Deposit down on this :)

Advertisement