Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Roll on July 1st. Deposit down on this :)

Excellent! Well done and we'll wear! Cracker of a motor!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Congrats, we might get our CS on July 1st........2022.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

The golf MK8 has got to be one of the ugliest cars ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

You're not going to make any friends around here with statements like that!

It has grown on my a lot since it was launched, it does look a lot better in the flesh too. Gotta get the spec right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

FK put up a lovely GTD yesterday that had just arrived

• Advertisement

The front has grown on me a lot, especially in the GTi/R variations, standard cars are a bit meh on styling IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

the standard alloys on the gti/gtd variants don't do them any favours. They need the 19" wheel upgrades.

Definitely.

Any decent upgrades on the GTi though send it into the next VRT band which is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I have to say that as someone who didn't like the Mk8 when it first launched, I've definitely come round to liking it a lot more and that's without even seeing a performance model in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

My wallet is considerably lighter this afternoon after putting Michelin PS 4S tyres on the two front wheels of my Mk7.5 GTI (225/35/R19). I did have Pirelli P-Zero tyres on the front so I'm interested to see if I will notice the difference. There is a good bit more rim protection on the Michelin tyres compared to the Pirelli ones so that's good for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

I noticed a huge difference for the worse going from PS4’s to P Zero’s so I’d say you’ll feel a difference for the better all right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

My wallet is considerably lighter this afternoon after putting Michelin PS 4S tyres on the two front wheels of my Mk7.5 GTI (225/35/R19). I did have Pirelli P-Zero tyres on the front so I'm interested to see if I will notice the difference. There is a good bit more rim protection on the Michelin tyres compared to the Pirelli ones so that's good for a start.

Are 235-35-19 not the oe size? They were on my R.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Neilw wrote: »

Depends on which 19" it is. My Brescias are 225/35/19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I went from 4 p zero's to PS 4s all around on my 7R. Drives like a new car and grips very very well, even in the wet. You would want to be seriously acting the knob to unsettle the car on warmed up PS 4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Neilw wrote: »

The Brescias are 225/35/19 (Same as SaintsYB)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Went into BMW and VW today. VW are sending on the quote for the clubsport tomorrow as the vw bank person had left.

For the 128ti it worked out as €10,500 (part ex and me adding a few k) €497 per month over 47, one month 572.15 and €21,802 final payment. Cash price €53,733 and he inferred that he could improve on that.

Extras were metallic and active cruise. I asked for Harmon kardon as well but as mentioned here it’s not available. Had a look at a sport model and tested the standard audio. It was really bad when compared to my own car, the base was non existent as far as I could tell. Might seem small but this could be a deal breaker for me.

No gti or clubsport available to test but I did sit in an r line and I found it very pleasant also the standard audio is way better than the bmw, really not sure on the lack of buttons though. They did say they will have a gti soon to test so that is a plus since the bmw garage says they most likely won’t.

It’s been asked before but anyone know how much I should be pushing for off the price of either? The vw guy says he can do a bit but that bmw margins are traditionally larger so he won’t be able to take as much off. I’ve no idea if that’s true and tbh I take everything these lads say with a pinch of salt..

fair play. Hope you got a good deal.

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Went into BMW and VW today. VW are sending on the quote for the clubsport tomorrow as the vw bank person had left.

For the 128ti it worked out as €10,500 (part ex and me adding a few k) €497 per month over 47, one month 572.15 and €21,802 final payment. Cash price €53,733 and he inferred that he could improve on that.

Extras were metallic and active cruise. I asked for Harmon kardon as well but as mentioned here it’s not available. Had a look at a sport model and tested the standard audio. It was really bad when compared to my own car, the base was non existent as far as I could tell. Might seem small but this could be a deal breaker for me.

No gti or clubsport available to test but I did sit in an r line and I found it very pleasant also the standard audio is way better than the bmw, really not sure on the lack of buttons though. They did say they will have a gti soon to test so that is a plus since the bmw garage says they most likely won’t.

It’s been asked before but anyone know how much I should be pushing for off the price of either? The vw guy says he can do a bit but that bmw margins are traditionally larger so he won’t be able to take as much off. I’ve no idea if that’s true and tbh I take everything these lads say with a pinch of salt..

Colm Quinn have a few with Harman Kardon, might be worth pricing. Got a good deal on the 128ti I but was given the impression by multiple dealers there wasn't much discount on factory orders due to the low finance rate. VW offered 3k discount over the phone when I enquired about a CS.

Colm Quinn have a few with Harman Kardon, might be worth pricing. Got a good deal on the 128ti I but was given the impression by multiple dealers there wasn't much discount on factory orders due to the low finance rate. VW offered 3k discount over the phone when I enquired about a CS.
    Are the ones they have not on 1.9% as well?

Forgot to mention that the final payment on my quote is a bit much since I think the vw will be around the same but after year 3 so that’s a good few grand in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the GMFV of nearly 22k on a 128ti after 4 years is fairly strong and won't leave you with much equity in the car. BMW always seem to price the GMFV high in order to make the monthly repayments lower and more attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think the GMFV of nearly 22k on a 128ti after 4 years is fairly strong and won't leave you with much equity in the car. BMW always seem to price the GMFV high in order to make the monthly repayments lower and more attractive.

We all know how that worked out few years ago, when massive amount of imports killed any value of second hand BMWs.
    Even with import problem from UK gone and car prices going up, I would be a bit worried about 22k balloon on 4 years old car.

We all know how that worked out few years ago, when massive amount of imports killed any value of second hand BMWs.
    Even with import problem from UK gone and car prices going up, I would be a bit worried about 22k balloon on 4 years old car.

I think it's all about expeztatkons. Put in a high deposit and u might be in for a shock next time round. Low deposit keeps your monthly repayments at a figure thats more realistic to maintain next time. Almost like a lease really.

Of course it you have a big deposit and are willing to save on the side for the next time then that's fine too.

PCP has been discussed to death anyway, as long as you know what you are getting yourself into, have a bit of an idea what sort of equity you might have at the end, you're covered. Always have the option to hold on to the car anyway, 3 or 4 years old is not an old car.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

The fella from vw is a bit all over the place. He’s saying that it would be 10,500 part ex plus cash, 530 per month for 3 years but he doesn’t know gfmv even though the car price is €54,250.. on that basis it would be €23,950 so why is he saying he doesn’t know it?

From what I can see I’d be getting free delivery and an extra 500 or so off the list price so just about 1,500 in total. I would be expecting more than that tbh.

Edit, spec is metallic, Adelaides & winter pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

GFV is €22,570 on the Clubsport.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

The fella from vw is a bit all over the place. He’s saying that it would be 10,500 part ex plus cash, 530 per month for 3 years but he doesn’t know gfmv even though the car price is €54,250.. on that basis it would be €23,950 so why is he saying he doesn’t know it?

From what I can see I’d be getting free delivery and an extra 500 or so off the list price so just about 1,500 in total. I would be expecting more than that tbh.

Edit, spec is metallic, Adelaides & winter pack.

You can’t get more for your trade in and then a discount off the car as well.

Well you can, but it’s the same thing.

The bottom line is what you pay, it doesn’t matter what he’s allowing you for your part ex or what discount he’s giving you.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    GFV is €22,570 on the Clubsport.
    Not sure what I’m doing wrong in my maths there? I’m sure you are right like I’m just surprised the lads in these places can’t lay this stuff out. When speaking on the phone to him he was looking for me to put a deposit right there so I got a calculator out and asked him to go through the numbers. He seemed taken aback and said yeah you are probably right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alot of big dealers have a dedicated finance person who does the number crunching with the customer on the finer figures once the sales person has done their job.

L-M wrote: »
    You can’t get more for your trade in and then a discount off the car as well.

Well you can, but it’s the same thing.

The bottom line is what you pay, it doesn’t matter what he’s allowing you for your part ex or what discount he’s giving you.
    Ah yeah of course at the end of the day all that matters is how much I give them with my yoke, the monthlies and then the gfmv. The trade offer has been fairly consistent with second hand lads and now the main dealers so I am assuming it was the same for them which is how I came to the conclusion.

I rang frank keane in Liffey valley as I don’t have much faith in the lad I’ve been dealing with in Naas who says he will have it in august if I put the deposit down now.

Whilst I didn’t go in to him he asked for pictures of mine and said he would put them on some trade site to see what they could do, could be bollocks of course but both bmw and the other vw fella in naas had a look, rang one person and didn’t look like they’d bother contacting someone else.

I should really just sell it myself tbh. I just don’t know how that would work as it’s our only car so the timing would need to be spot on as the new yokes are months out.

Forgot to say that Frank Keane have a gti, clubsport and r to test so will be going down Tuesday. I’m hoping they have different dampers in two of them with 19’s as it’s something I’d like to see, alas I forgot to ask that.

• Advertisement

Alot of big dealers have a dedicated finance person who does the number crunching with the customer on the finer figures once the sales person has done their job.

It’s a bit of a sneaky sale tactic IMO. These lads can essentially offer the sun but wipe there hands of it later. The sort of stuff that would be hammered by the cbi in other sectors. That’s car sales for you though, a law unto themselves.

Advertisement