Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Not sure what I’m doing wrong in my maths there? I’m sure you are right like I’m just surprised the lads in these places can’t lay this stuff out. When speaking on the phone to him he was looking for me to put a deposit right there so I got a calculator out and asked him to go through the numbers. He seemed taken aback and said yeah you are probably right there.

It doesn’t surprise me at all tbh. Find a different dealer.

The GFV figure I quoted above is the correct one and it’s fixed by VW Bank. As it’s 0% it’s fairly easy to work out the figures based on that.

Total price (incl delivery) - discount(if any) - deposit (or trade in) - GFV = X.
    Divide X by 36 and that’s your approx monthly.

Prices are going up ~€640 in the coming weeks. If it’s a factory order you will be waiting, probably at least 4-5 months.

It’s a bit of a sneaky sale tactic IMO. These lads can essentially offer the sun but wipe there hands of it later. The sort of stuff that would be hammered by the cbi in other sectors. That’s car sales for you though, a law unto themselves.

If the sales chap isn't an approved product advisor on loans or equivalent he can't sell you a financial product so likely has little to no knowledge about gfmv etc as mad as that sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

It’s a bit of a sneaky sale tactic IMO. These lads can essentially offer the sun but wipe there hands of it later. The sort of stuff that would be hammered by the cbi in other sectors. That’s car sales for you though, a law unto themselves.

They’re hardly going to be selling a lot of cars doing that now are they!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It doesn’t surprise me at all tbh. Find a different dealer.

The GFV figure I quoted above is the correct one and it’s fixed by VW Bank. As it’s 0% it’s fairly easy to work out the figures based on that.

Total price (incl delivery) - discount(if any) - deposit (or trade in) - GFV = X.
    Divide X by 36 and that’s your approx monthly.

Prices are going up ~€640 in the coming weeks. If it’s a factory order you will be waiting, probably at least 4-5 months.
    I read on the uk gti forum there is a European law coming in where active cruise will have to stick to speed limits from my2022 cars. Will that include anything ordered now?

Have pretty much convinced the missus this is the way to go so the final decision will be made after she sits in one. I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t like the more cockpit like bmw and tbh honest I have ruled it out since the audio is so bad. Also I thought the step down in quality in the golf would be annoying but it really didn’t bother me. The materials definitely aren’t great but it felt just as solid. The seat in the golf is another win IMO although I only sat in an msport but think they are the same.

It doesn't have to stick. Cars from 2022 must have ACC connected to TSR & Lane Keeping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

mcburns07 wrote: »
    I think it's all about expeztatkons. Put in a high deposit and u might be in for a shock next time round. Low deposit keeps your monthly repayments at a figure thats more realistic to maintain next time. Almost like a lease really.

Of course it you have a big deposit and are willing to save on the side for the next time then that's fine too.

PCP has been discussed to death anyway, as long as you know what you are getting yourself into, have a bit of an idea what sort of equity you might have at the end, you're covered. Always have the option to hold on to the car anyway, 3 or 4 years old is not an old car.

I bought my current car on pcp, so I know fair bit about it. I still think 4 year pcp with such a big balloon is a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I bought my current car on pcp, so I know fair bit about it. I still think 4 year pcp with such a big balloon is a bit dodgy.

Dodgy for the manufacturer or purchaser?. It's essentially a lease deal like in the UK where you hand back the car or offer to buy it out at the end of the term. There's no prospect of equity at the end of a lease and it's still hugely popular over there. Depreciation in actual euro value slows down once you hit 3 years anyway,

I wouldn't expect there to be a huge difference in value between a 3 or 4 year old car anyway. At that point the value starts to become more heavily influenced by mileage, condition, presence of a new model etc.

Whatever way you cut it a brand new car is a bad investment from a purely financial perspective :) just gotta put it the back of your mind and enjoy the car.

What's dodgy about it?
    If there's no expectation of much if any equity it's perfectly reasonable IMO.
    I think BMW are the most transparent with PCP TBH... They've it down as pay as you go over 3 or 4 years with the deposit & the monthlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

OSI wrote: »
    Not many leases looking for a 10k deposit though.

Deposit and monthly repayments are interchangeable, you're still handing over the same amount of money over the 3-4 years albeit with slightly less interest with the higher deposit.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    GFV is €22,570 on the Clubsport.
    Went in to Frank Keane today and after saying he was perplexed that the other fella wouldn’t give the gfmv so he tried running it himself and it kept giving the gfmv of 24,950 which is off the 45 edition. So yet again they weren’t able to quote me. He said he has emailed vw bank about the error so it should be sorted soon enough.

Got to try the standard gti on estoril wheels with no active dampers and found it fine on the road. Tbf I didn’t go that far but it was acceptable to us so I’ve ruled out the dcc. I know the clubsport is a bit different setup wise but I’m confident it will be fine.

I’m nearly certain the spec I want is pure white, sunroof, adelaides, winter pack & reversing camera.

• Advertisement

The DCC also gives you the “special mode” / Nurburgring setting. Probably a gimmick for the most part but as it’s the Clubsport, it’d be nice to have that there imo.
    Volkswizard will have a new video in the next few days where he’s reviewing a DCC-equipped Clubsport, comparing it with his own non-DCC. Should be worth a watch if you’re undecided.

As for the GFV, my info was that the Ed45 has the same figure (22,570) as the Clubsport, but who knows, that may have changed since. Seems a bit crazy that the Ed45 wouldn’t be a little higher. If it isn’t, it’s a pricey proposition on finance.

I quoted your figure to him and he said that sounds about right but he also said it can change sometimes so couldn’t provide the quote. He also advised against going over 20% deposit for the pcp but that’s not an issues as I will be a fair bit lower than that.

Think you mentioned that upcoming video and it should be an interesting comparison. I’d still like to try one with it as it may be great. Did you get to try with and without before ordering?

They had one in the showroom that was the silver with black estorils and pretty much everything ticked, it looked great tbh.Came in at 60 odd grand because of the jump in vrt.

I quoted your figure to him and he said that sounds about right but he also said it can change sometimes so couldn’t provide the quote. He also advised against going over 20% deposit for the pcp but that’s not an issues as I will be a fair bit lower than that.

With 0% it doesn't matter much. Arguably when it's zero, it is a good idea to go with a low deposit - i.e. tie up as little of your own money as possible.
    Think you mentioned that upcoming video and it should be an interesting comparison. I’d still like to try one with it as it may be great. Did you get to try with and without before ordering?

I haven't driven either! I've had a few VW's and none of them had DCC. I can't say I ever missed it (if you don't have it you don't miss it...) but all the reviews I've seen suggest its much more worthwhile now, more configurable - 15 different comfort settings apparently, but you'll probably play with that for a week and eventually leave it set at one and never touch it again!
    They had one in the showroom that was the silver with black estorils and pretty much everything ticked. Came in at 60 odd grand because of the jump in vrt.

Yeah it was mentioned in here before, that car was a cancelled order. The guy who ordered it changed his mind and ordered an R instead but they left that order in the system for whatever reason. The spec has pushed it into the next VRT band which has added 5-6k onto it. Did the silver look well?!

Silver looked great and I was surprised it looked so well with the black wheels. I remember you ordered silver and each to their own like but I think you’ll really like it.

The gti I tested was black and had the normal estorils and I wasn’t as impressed as I thought I’d be. Could be that the discs are smaller non perforated and the callipers aren’t as big with no logo so they should look much better on the clubsport. I’ve gone for the adelaides as I think the amount of black in them will look well with the white.

A customer was there in his moonstone clubsport to raise a concern about a blemish or something in his paint. That colour wouldn’t be for me tbh.

Silver looked great and I was surprised it looked so well with the black wheels. I remember you ordered silver and each to their own like but I think you’ll really like it.

The gti I tested was black and had the normal estorils and I wasn’t as impressed as I thought I’d be. Could be that the discs are smaller non perforated and the callipers aren’t as big with no logo so they should look much better on the clubsport. I’ve gone for the adelaides as I think the amount of black in them will look well with the white.

A customer was there in his moonstone clubsport to raise a concern about a blemish or something in his paint. That colour wouldn’t be for me tbh.

The Adelaides are a nice wheel too. I would be happy with either of the 19" options really. Yeah the brakes/calipers on the standard car will look a bit weedy, that won't have helped.

I'm not that sure about moonstone either. I'd prefer if they'd kept indium/carbon grey from the last generation. Both were nicer shades of grey imo.

Not impressed with the new red as well.

If my own car wasn’t silver I’d probably go for it tbh. It shows off the decals and spoiler very well and is a little bit less loud than the white if that makes sense. Just don’t want to be seen as the fella who gets the same colour every time, haha.

I do think the white, sunroof, and adelaides will look really well though.

If I do change my mind on dcc I will need to drop the sunroof which would be a shame.

I noticed all the tyres on their cars with 19’s had hankooks on but the one in Marks review had the potenzas. Shame you can’t choose as i think the hankooks are supposed to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I noticed all the tyres on their cars with 19’s had hankooks on but the one in Marks review had the potenzas. Shame you can’t choose as i think the hankooks are supposed to be better.

Who actually decides the tyres? Am I correct in saying that they could be different in each country? So it'd be VW Ireland deciding for the Irish market, VW UK for the UK market etc.

Who actually decides the tyres? Am I correct in saying that they could be different in each country? So it'd be VW Ireland deciding for the Irish market, VW UK for the UK market etc.

Could be that or they could have changed the tyres on the later builds to hankooks. As far as I know the press cars are usually early versions which might explain the one Mark got.

I had a play around with the touch screen for a good few minutes and found no glitches or stuttering which was nice. You would need a lot more time with it to be certain but it worked how I would expect it to. I should have checked what software it was running as I know earlier ones are on 1668 which means it’s the older head unit with more glitches and the newer is on 17xx on an updated unit that is supposed to work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Deposit and monthly repayments are interchangeable, you're still handing over the same amount of money over the 3-4 years albeit with slightly less interest with the higher deposit.

People go into PCP with the idea of having equity at the end so they don’t have to come up with much or any deposit, BMW gave PCP a very bad name because they allowed high deposits and high GMFV, which effectively came the customer a unrealistically low monthly payment, which they’d never replicate.

Vw do a PCP “Plan” which has a high (50percent) GMFV. They then limit the deposit to a max 10 percent (they encourage almost no deposit) and also make you sign a waiver saying you understand that you should have little or no equity at the end. That’s how a PCP with no equity at the end should be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

L-M wrote: »
    People go into PCP with the idea of having equity at the end so they don’t have to come up with much or any deposit, BMW gave PCP a very bad name because they allowed high deposits and high GMFV, which effectively came the customer a unrealistically low monthly payment, which they’d never replicate.

Vw do a PCP “Plan” which has a high (50percent) GMFV. They then limit the deposit to a max 10 percent (they encourage almost no deposit) and also make you sign a waiver saying you understand that you should have little or no equity at the end. That’s how a PCP with no equity at the end should be sold.

Technically VW wants to lease you a car, not sell it. With high ballon payment, you will be more reluctant to change car, then pay it off. Basically low deposit ( as you said ) and lowish monthlies. Its pretty much textbook car leasing, just with different name now.
    Another reason to go such high GMFV ( aka balloon), is to bring monthlies lower as new car prices went really up in price.

I personally prefer the whole 30% deposit and 30% ish GMFV pcp system. Lower balloon, gives you better options and makes it easier to just pay it off if you want or need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I see the Irish Times seems to like the 128ti.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/bmw-128ti-the-german-brand-wins-the-hot-hatch-race-1.4583164?mode=amp

The headline is "BMW 128Ti: The German brand wins the hot-hatch race". They go on to say "More than that, it’s a car that can rightly claim the hot hatch crown from the VW Golf GTi."

I think they like it.......

The first guy I went to came back to me today with great monthlies but using the 45 gfmv of 24950. I explained this to him so he’s gone back to get the correct figure.

Either way I think I’m getting a good accurate figure for mine when talking about trade as they are similar and have been no matter who I’ve spoken to bar one who was taking the discount off the new yoke meaning mine was inflated.

I’d be better off trying to sell mine for 1 or 2k less than what’s on done deal, mine has less mileage, newer and has a full service history so seems better than any of the gs450h’s I’ve seen there. Just a bit worried about the timing as we are a one car house.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Considering the GMFV is the same regardless of what specs you choose, how are they not able to get this right? Surely the salesman shouldn't have to go off and check what the value will be for the right car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

If it's zero % finance, technically a high gfmv is best as you maximize the free borrowing. Just don't piss away the savings from the low monthly.

I don't understand why you want a lower gfmv. Well I do, but I would not ask them to lower it. Instead just save the difference each month. That will give you the equivalent "equity" at the end of term. Will also give you more protection in a worst case scenario in the event you have to hand the car back in 3 years.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    If it's zero % finance, technically a high gfmv is best as you maximize the free borrowing. Just don't piss away the savings from the low monthly.

I don't understand why you want a lower gfmv. Well I do, but I would not ask them to lower it. Instead just save the difference each month. That will give you the equivalent "equity" at the end of term. Will also give you more protection in a worst case scenario in the event you have to hand the car back in 3 years.
    I get what your saying and I hadn’t considered the handing back part you mentioned as that is a real advantage should it ever come to that but I’d still prefer to pay it off as quick as possible even with the zero %.

If anything I’d like to get the lower gfmv and throw a bit more in at the start.

The DCC comparison video is now up. I’m really not convinced it’s needed. His conclusion is that he couldn’t really tell a difference over bad surfaces in town but when in the ring mode it was better than the passive car through the twisties. I wonder how much of a difference the better tyres are making here though.

https://youtu.be/rQRb4rw5JEk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I'd always go DCC over a sunroof. I appreciate our climate isn't as hot, but on the MK7/7.5 there has been only issues with sunroof having cars in a lot of places.

Tend to agree.
    I do like the sunroof, its a nice looking feature but consider how often you'll open it - not often I would say.
    And as said, there were a lot of niggly issues with them in the MK7. (and expensive issues - e.g. cracking glass / surrounds)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Contacted my dealer for an update and he said the factory had accepted the order and it was still on plan for a mid August delivery.

I still it's foolish basing on peoples experience here but ill hold out hope until I get a concrete build date/week.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Contacted my dealer for an update and he said the factory had accepted the order and it was still on plan for a mid August delivery.

I still it's foolish basing on peoples experience here but ill hold out hope until I get a concrete build date/week.

Mine is apparently confirmed at BW27, which is only a few weeks away. Hopefully it doesn't move out from that and that once built they get it shipped in a reasonable timeframe. My Dad's Tiguan (built 7-8 weeks ago) still hasn't left the German port afaik!

Advertisement