Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Lads the glass fell out of the passenger side wing mirror on my 7R this morning. Seems common enough. After 5 years this is the first thing to fail, so can't complain too much. Any recommendations for getting a replacement? Looks easy enough to replace based on you tube videos.

Here is one on micks garage... which seems reasonable.

Muppet man

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Mine is apparently confirmed at BW27, which is only a few weeks away. Hopefully it doesn't move out from that and that once built they get it shipped in a reasonable timeframe. My Dad's Tiguan (built 7-8 weeks ago) still hasn't left the German port afaik!

That's good, that's the 1st/2nd week of July.

Any idea of the shipping time? I'm assuming 4-6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

GavRedKing wrote: »
    That's good, that's the 1st/2nd week of July.

Any idea of the shipping time? I'm assuming 4-6 weeks.

In normal times, 3-4 weeks would be typical. But at the moment who knows. As I said, my Dad’s Tiguan is taking an age. Whether that’s exceptional or not, we will see.

Play the waiting game so it seems.

Ideally it is August, my birthday is in August and I've 2 weeks so it'll get a good stretching of the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

dar83 wrote: »
    I'd always go DCC over a sunroof. I appreciate our climate isn't as hot, but on the MK7/7.5 there has been only issues with sunroof having cars in a lot of places.

I might be missing something but there never seems to be a real reason to go for dcc. The only time I’ve seen why you would get it is because it can harden up on track. I know a lot of reviewers swear by it but have they all drove the one with passive setup? They certainly haven’t done a review on them.

It’s definitely a worry with sunroof reliability cause the mrk7 had a load of issues. I like to think it’s sorted in this generation but my guess is as good as any.

Not a clubsport but I will have another gti tomorrow for a bit. Looking forward to it because it will be on my local country roads rather than the outskirts of Dublin.

• Advertisement

Now that I’ve actually ordered I might stop spamming the thread..

Car I had today was silver, looks great in the sun so went with that. Didn’t go with the the sunroof or the dcc.

Spec is reflex silver, adelaides, winter pack & camera. Still time to change it but not sure I will.

One disappointing thing is the tyre roar at motorway speeds. It really was a fair bit more than I expected and I imagine it getting very tiring on a long run. Maybe some deadening could be added to the wheel arches?

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Now that I’ve actually ordered I might stop spamming the thread..

Car I had today was silver, looks great in the sun so went with that. Didn’t go with the the sunroof or the dcc.

Spec is reflex silver, adelaides, winter pack & camera. Still time to change it but not sure I will.

One disappointing thing is the tyre roar at motorway speeds. It really was a fair bit more than I expected and I imagine it getting very tiring on a long run. Maybe some deadening could be added to the wheel arches?

Nice one! Is that a Clubsport or standard GTI?

Tyre roar can be a lot to do with the tyres fitted too. Were they bridgestones?

Nice one! Is that a Clubsport or standard GTI?

Tyre roar can be a lot to do with the tyres fitted too. Were they bridgestones?

Clubsport. He said I could take the one I tested but honestly think I’d regret not going for the cs.

Yeah they were bridgestones.

You are expecting yours in July? When did you order?

Edit: just to clarify that the one I tested today was the standard gti

Clubsport. He said I could take the one I tested but honestly think I’d regret not going for the cs.

Yeah they were bridgestones.

You are expecting yours in July? When did you order?

Edit: just to clarify that the one I tested today was the standard gti

Yeah bridgestones are notorious for that.

It currently has a build week 27 (early July). Depends how long it takes to get shipped then but unlikely to see it before mid August I think. I ordered around 4 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

Mine is apparently confirmed at BW27, which is only a few weeks away. Hopefully it doesn't move out from that and that once built they get it shipped in a reasonable timeframe. My Dad's Tiguan (built 7-8 weeks ago) still hasn't left the German port afaik!

I ordered a Clubsport in early February.. recently heard it’s scheduled for BW26 ..So you’re doing well to get BW27! … the dealer said to expect it in mid - late August!

• Advertisement

kevodaly wrote: »
    I ordered a Clubsport in early February.. recently heard it’s scheduled for BW26 ..So you’re doing well to get BW27! … the dealer said to expect it in mid - late August!

Yeah I really didn’t expect it. Now it wouldn’t surprise me either if the date moves out again but the dealer said it appears to be locked in.

Going by that it would be looking like September for me maybe. If it went further than that I’d be looking for a 22 plate as I assume you would be losing out in 3 years time?

Just on the ride quality of the standard gti. It’s very impressive to me, definitely not great on bad urban roads like volkswizard pointed out but I brought it out on the a and b roads around here which are not the best at all and it ate them up. You could feel the blemishes and what not but it was great and in no way jarring.

Tried out the acc on the motorway and it was great, the lane assist worked great too and didn’t interfere when on the a roads with acc off. Only others I’ve tried basically bounce you from one side of the lane to the other where as this stayed dead centre. Was even more impressive when I changed the view of the dash to what the radar/cameras see with not just my lane but the ones around. Felt very modern. Only down side of it was changing the speed of it was a bit crap but I reckon you would get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I have a loan of a standard mk8 at the moment. Got my first taste of the lane assist today, it's weird! Not a fan

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I have a loan of a standard mk8 at the moment. Got my first taste of the lane assist today, it's weird! Not a fan

What was it you didn’t like?

A quick way of turning it off is to press the end of the left stalk and then hit ok on the steering wheel. Has to be done on each start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

For lane assist to kick in you need to be drifting out of your lane or to be changing lanes without indicating.

Otherwise you shouldn't even be aware that it's on.

Silver Clubsports all round. :D

lawred2 wrote: »
    For lane assist to kick in you need to be drifting out of your lane or to be changing lanes without indicating.

Otherwise you shouldn't even be aware that it's on.
    Tbf I was in lane all the time on the a roads I was on so never came into play. I did drive a Corolla down the same roads and it was pulling one way or another without me going on or over the lines so turned it off pretty much straight away.

Silver Clubsports all round. :D

I’m still on the fence colour wise cause I’ve a little bit of time to change which would be white for me but the silver looks so well and in the cs I think it’s a little bit more stealthy.

Im tempted to change to white and add hk or even just add hk anyway but I think it was Joe who was saying his father is waiting on a car with hk for ages now so it’s put me off. I might press the fella I’m dealing with to contact Wolfsburg to see if it will delay it but I’m not sure that would even be possible for him to find out. It’s no deal breaker on the audio front as the standard is fairly acceptable especially compared to the standard 1 series audio which was a joke but it is lacking compared to my 11 year old mark levinson system.

I’m still on the fence colour wise cause I’ve a little bit of time to change which would be white for me but the silver looks so well and in the cs I think it’s a little bit more stealthy.

Im tempted to change to white and add hk or even just add hk anyway but I think it was Joe who was saying his father is waiting on a car with hk for ages now so it’s put me off. I might press the fella I’m dealing with to contact Wolfsburg to see if it will delay it but I’m not sure that would even be possible for him to find out. It’s no deal breaker on the audio front as the standard is fairly acceptable especially compared to the standard 1 series audio which was a joke but it is lacking compared to my 11 year old mark levinson system.

I originally spec'd mine with black but herself's brother has a new Arteon R line in the same deep black and it's lovely but it's dirty all the time even after being well looked after.

I also had a black Celica years and years back it was impossible to keep clean so silver was the right call for me anyway, I was going to get the Estroils in black too after seeing the CS in Frank Keane but again, theyed be impossible to keep clean.

• Advertisement

I originally spec'd mine with black but herself's brother has a new Arteon R line in the same deep black and it's lovely but it's dirty all the time even after being well looked after.

I also had a black Celica years and years back it was impossible to keep clean so silver was the right call for me anyway, I was going to get the Estroils in black too after seeing the CS in Frank Keane but again, theyed be impossible to keep clean.

I’ll be honest, my car doesn’t get cleaned often as it’s not something I care for too much but black is a big no go for me. The first gti I tested last week was black and it looked really good. No way would I keep it looking that good though. I reckon silver is a great colour for looking good even when a bit dirty. I’d imagine grey would be even better but I’ve never owned a grey car so I could just be making that up..

I will say though that there is something very nice about reflex silver. Looks way better than the silver on my Lexus. I can’t explain it well but it’s like there’s a little difference in the tone depending on how you are looking at it even under cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

What was it you didn’t like?

A quick way of turning it off is to press the end of the left stalk and then hit ok on the steering wheel. Has to be done on each start though.

Thank you, I wasn't aware of this shortcut.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Going by that it would be looking like September for me maybe. If it went further than that I’d be looking for a 22 plate as I assume you would be losing out in 3 years time?

If you’re planning on waiting until Jan 22 if it comes later in the year you’re better of just waiting until later in the year to ordered. Vw usually update specs around week 32 every years (to be fair sometimes they remove spec) but more often make other stuff standard, so you’d essentially have your car built before that and then left sitting there when in reality you could just wait and get the updated one.

If my CS is delayed until we'll say worse case scenario, I'd be seriously considering holding off for a 221 plate.

Issue then becomes what finance packages are available as the 0% PCP is only for 212 regs I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

If my CS is delayed until we'll say worse case scenario, I'd be seriously considering holding off for a 221 plate.

Issue then becomes what finance packages are available as the 0% PCP is only for 212 regs I'm sure.

They’ll generally honor whatever deal you signed up for at the time. If interest rate changes then usually they make it up elsewhere with better discounts or maybe more spec, reduced price for packs etc. It’s just a marketing ploy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mcburns07 wrote: »
    They’ll generally honor whatever deal you signed up for at the time. If interest rate changes then usually they make it up elsewhere with better discounts or maybe more spec, reduced price for packs etc. It’s just a marketing ploy really.

It’s actually not a marketing ploy, it’s a genuine 0 percent offer. Vw bank can offer it because they’re their own bank (negative interest rates) etc but the 0s are always genuine. As in, it doesn’t give you less spec or the dealer having less to use as margin.

If a car landed in September there’s no way Vw would honour the 0 percent for the following January. December, maybe, if you were pushy. But at stage the dealer may no be on your side as they may still be chasing numbers.

L-M wrote: »
    It’s actually not a marketing ploy, it’s a genuine 0 percent offer. Vw bank can offer it because they’re their own bank (negative interest rates) etc but the 0s are always genuine. As in, it doesn’t give you less spec or the dealer having less to use as margin.

If a car landed in September there’s no way Vw would honour the 0 percent for the following January. December, maybe, if you were pushy. But at stage the dealer may no be on your side as they may still be chasing numbers.

I think mcburns is saying is if the interest rate went up to for example 1.9% but they added heated seats and the camera as standard there would be very little difference.

If i knew I was getting the car past September I’d go with the new rate. A few assumptions there like but you know what I mean.

Chances are though the car will be built and waiting delivery from Germany by the time you decide you might want a 221 plate instead of a very late 212 and there will be nothing, spec wise they'll be able to add as a free or discounted extra.

Best you can hope for is a small discount off the car, I don't think they'll honour the 0% say if the car comes in October and you say I'll wait until January for a new plate.

If there is cars not being delivered until late in the year and there is no budging on prices, I can see a car or two being left in the dealerships.

Chances are though the car will be built and waiting delivery from Germany by the time you decide you might want a 221 plate instead of a very late 212 and there will be nothing, spec wise they'll be able to add as a free or discounted extra.

Best you can hope for is a small discount off the car, I don't think they'll honour the 0% say if the car comes in October and you say I'll wait until January for a new plate.

If there is cars not being delivered until late in the year and there is no budging on prices, I can see a car or two being left in the dealerships.
    I think it’s more if the build week is really late where I’d be talking to my dealer about this. Say it’s registered in November, I reckon you are losing out because in three years time that car is close to 4 years old in people’s eyes.

Once built does anybody know how long it takes to be ready to go?

• Advertisement

Never ordered anything with VW so Ive no clue but another user said could be anything up to 4-6 weeks but it's all very dependent on a few factors.

I think a user even sent a link to track the ships as they leave the port :o:D

Advertisement