Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Zurbaran wrote: »

Once built does anybody know how long it takes to be ready to go?

See my previous posts. Normal times, pre-pandemic, somewhere between. 2-5 weeks. Now, who knows. Could get lucky but equally your car could be sitting at Emden for 6 weeks.

Looks like my Dad's Tiguan boarded a ship on Friday. It was sitting at the German port for only a few days in the end. The biggest delay was getting the damn thing built and then once built it spent several more weeks sitting in the factory waiting for a WLTP software update. Hopefully the Golf's don't run into this problem...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I know off topic (and I apologize) but does anyone know the wait times approx from Skoda? I have to order a new Octavia for someone and I want an idea of whether to order now or later in the year.

ianobrien wrote: »
    I know off topic (and I apologize) but does anyone know the wait times approx from Skoda? I have to order a new Octavia for someone and I want an idea of whether to order now or later in the year.

It's probably a similar situation with Skoda, but I have a feeling that the situation is easing somewhat, just going by the BW I was given and from reading elsewhere. But a factory order is going to take a minimum of 10-14 weeks, so have that in your head as a minimum anyway unless you get something already built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It's probably a similar situation with Skoda, but I have a feeling that the situation is easing somewhat, just going by the BW I was given and from reading elsewhere. But a factory order is going to take a minimum of 10-14 weeks, so have that in your head as a minimum anyway unless you get something already built.

Thanks. All I've got to do is to get them to decide on the colour. I'll get them to visit their local friendly Skoda dealer shortly. I did suggest the 1.0TSi to them and I was told "I'm not driving that, it wouldn't pull itself out of its own way". They do want it for 2022 so I think I've a few weeks to sort it.

• Advertisement

Thanks. All I've got to do is to get them to decide on the colour. I'll get them to visit their local friendly Skoda dealer shortly. I did suggest the 1.0TSi to them and I was told "I'm not driving that, it wouldn't pull itself out of its own way". They do want it for 2022 so I think I've a few weeks to sort it.

Ah if it's for 2022 you have loads of time. I'd probably hold off even ordering it till the Autumn in that case tbh. A dealer might be reluctant to even price something for January, its too far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

far more than that you wont have pricing for 2022 till after the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I’ve bottled it and asked if I could add dcc to my order. I still don’t believe it will be that much better than passive other than on track but I do reckon you will get most of it back come trade in. May be man maths on my part but it seems logical as it’s something that is mentioned in every review.

Dealer saying they have requested the change but not confirmed. I assume it will go through as there is no build date as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I’ve bottled it and asked if I could add dcc to my order. I still don’t believe it will be that much better than passive other than on track but I do reckon you will get most of it back come trade in. May be man maths on my part but it seems logical as it’s something that is mentioned in every review.

Dealer saying they have requested the change but not confirmed. I assume it will go through as there is no build date as far as I know.

Personally I think you’re right to add it. I didn’t think it would make a difference but I have it on the Cupra and had an FR MK3 Leon a few years ago and the difference is night and day. Cupra has bigger wheels but is never uncomfortable or harsh, makes a huge difference for the daily grind. The handling part of it you notice but not as much as the added comfort. Short wheelbase and 19s is not the ideal combo for this country but you’d never know with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

The DCC is worth it, have it on mine and having taken a quick spin on one without it, it's worth every penny. Especially if you're driving on less than stellar rural roads.

• Advertisement

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    The DCC is worth it, have it on mine and having taken a quick spin on one without it, it's worth every penny. Especially if you're driving on less than stellar rural roads.
    Roads around here are rural and less than stellar so I hope you’re right. I did try the standard gti without dcc around here and it was fine. Pretty bad in town at lower speeds but brilliant even over fairly bad tarmac at higher speeds.

Can’t believe I didn’t mention before that the most impressive thing when testing was the front diff. That thing is like magic, couldn’t believe the amount of traction pulling out of a bend. Old news to many on here of course but the last performance golf I drove would have been the mk5 versions. I drove all sorts of performance cars back then and felt nothing like this, you’d get something similar in the all wheel drive cars but this was a different feeling.

Another thing is how well it looks in person inside and out. Whilst I immediately thought the cs looked good from the outside after seeing the first pictures I really didn’t like the the standard. Maybe it’s because the fog lights were off but it looks well in person. Inside there is definitely lower quality plastics when you poke around but it is a really nice place to sit and the screens are great, no issues in the ones I used although I’m guessing they were later builds with the newer head unit. I sat in a gti 7.5 after and whilst the quality here and there was better it did feel slightly dated compared.

Cs vrs megane trophy vrs type r from carwow.

https://youtu.be/wWcYoit9efE

Something I forgot to ask the dealer and tbh it’s not really a big deal to me but is the wireless charging standard here like in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Something I forgot to ask the dealer and tbh it’s not really a big deal to me but is the wireless charging standard here like in the uk?

Yep standard here - described as Smartphone inductive charging on the product guide

It's a handy to feature to have as with wireless Carplay on the new VAG stuff you don't need to plug in your phone anymore. Android Auto wireless isn't available yet tho.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Yep standard here - described as Smartphone inductive charging on the product guide

It's a handy to feature to have as with wireless Carplay on the new VAG stuff you don't need to plug in your phone anymore. Android Auto wireless isn't available yet tho.

Pretty sure wireless AA is available on cars built after a certain date. No idea how well it will work wirelessly on either but I imagine using a cable will be a better solution for reliability and sound quality.

Pretty sure wireless AA is available on cars built after a certain date. No idea how well it will work wirelessly on either but I imagine using a cable will be a better solution for reliability and sound quality.

We have wireless Carplay on our Skoda Karoq. Connection reliability and sound are both perfect :)

Yes its standard but they do still have a €500 "comfort mobile" option on the options list and I've no idea what extra that 500 notes gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Wireless Android Auto is available as standard on the Golf I believe. I'm very surprised at how well it works, connects immediately and audio is perfect.

Yes its standard but they do still have a €500 "comfort mobile" option on the options list and I've no idea what extra that 500 notes gives you.
    The reason why I asked is because of that option I remember seeing on the configurator. I assumed we didn’t get it because of that.

@mcburns07 have you got the 128ti yet? Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

The reason why I asked is because of that option I remember seeing on the configurator. I assumed we didn’t get it because of that.

@mcburns07 have you got the 128ti yet? Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Picking it up Friday 2nd July :D

There'll be plenty of photos and thoughts once it's finally mine.

• Advertisement

I tell ya this waiting game is no fun at all. For anyone else who has ordered, how long was it before you got a build date?

It’s only been just over two weeks and I’m losing patience, ha.

I tell ya this waiting game is no fun at all. For anyone else who has ordered, how long was it before you got a build date?

Ordered mid-May with the knowledge that it could be a 5+ month wait. A couple of weeks later the dealer sent me a bulletin from VW, in which they confirmed that performance Golf’s were facing significant lead times, looking like October at best. Then a week or 10 days later he told me it was “frozen” on the system at week 27. As far as I know (as of late last week) it’s still scheduled for wk27, which is next week. I’m not sure how that happened, but not complaining. I’ll check in again later this week to make sure it’s not changed but I imagine it would be “locked in” to that build week now.

Ordered mid-May with the knowledge that it could be a 5+ month wait. A couple of weeks later the dealer sent me a bulletin from VW, in which they confirmed that performance Golf’s were facing significant lead times, looking like October at best. Then a week or 10 days later he told me it was “frozen” on the system at week 27. As far as I know (as of late last week) it’s still scheduled for wk27, which is next week. I’m not sure how that happened, but not complaining. I’ll check in again later this week to make sure it’s not changed but I imagine it would be “locked in” to that build week now.

Hopefully it gets built next week so. It would be annoying to find out it’s been pushed out at this stage!

The guy I ordered off said they’d let me know as soon as he did but do you reckon enquiring after a few weeks is worth it? I know it will be built when it’s built regardless but I’d like to be kept in the loop as much as possible.

Hopefully it gets built next week so. It would be annoying to find out it’s been pushed out at this stage!

The guy I ordered off said they’d let me know as soon as he did but do you reckon enquiring after a few weeks is worth it? I know it will be built when it’s built regardless but I’d like to be kept in the loop as much as possible.

Ah that familiar feeling, thinking a few months wait will be fine and then growing impatient after a few weeks :pac:

Any cars I or family have ordered over the last 5 years have taken 8 weeks min to be built and an additional 2-4 weeks for delivery. You're probably looking at mid Sept at best but more realistically mid - end Oct.

In my experience there is no point chasing the dealer for regular updates, it’s not going to get it done any quicker. That said, no harm asking him around now for an update, it only takes him 2 minutes to look it up on the system, ask him to send you a screenshot. Also recommend double checking that he’s ordered the correct spec - you’ll see the option codes, colour code, etc on the screenshot. Once all that’s in order there’s not much you can do other than wait.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Ah that familiar feeling, thinking a few months wait will be fine and then growing impatient after a few weeks :pac:

Any cars I or family have ordered over the last 5 years have taken 8 weeks min to be built and an additional 2-4 weeks for delivery. You're probably looking at mid Sept at best but more realistically mid - end Oct.
    I was thinking best case scenario would be a September pickup based on Joe’s order. If it goes much later than that I’d need to weigh up the disadvantages of collecting a car late in the year which September already is tbf. Not sure where I stand on getting the deposit back at that stage or the deposit being used for a 22 car. Even if it cost a bit more to go for the new year it would probably be less over all as in three years the car would be basically four years old.

In my experience there is no point chasing the dealer for regular updates, it’s not going to get it done any quicker. That said, no harm asking him around now for an update, it only takes him 2 minutes to look it up on the system, ask him to send you a screenshot. Also recommend double checking that he’s ordered the correct spec - you’ll see the option codes, colour code, etc on the screenshot. Once all that’s in order there’s not much you can do other than wait.
    Checking the spec that was ordered is a good shout. I changed it a few days after ordering so will ask him for a screenshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

I ordered on February 11th, supposedly being built this week (26), I'm afraid to ask for confirmation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MoJoCaine

" The New VW Golf GTI Clubsport 45 Edition Is Bonkers! "

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSy7g8nIkVQ&t=7s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd love to get a solid confirmation so I can get on with selling the ST.

I've a few small things I need doing to make sure I get a good price for it.

Refurb the alloys and 2 slight paint corrections from door dings.

I'll see what VW offer and first anyway before committing to the potential horror show of selling privately.

Advertisement