Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd love to get a solid confirmation so I can get on with selling the ST.

I've a few small things I need doing to make sure I get a good price for it.

Refurb the alloys and 2 slight paint corrections from door dings.

I'll see what VW offer and first anyway before committing to the potential horror show of selling privately.

I’m going to throw my own Lexus GS up closer to the time, think I can get a few more grand than offered whilst still undercutting anything on done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Zurbaran wrote: »
    I’m going to throw my own Lexus GS up closer to the time, think I can get a few more grand than offered whilst still undercutting anything on done deal.

Ya I was surprised at the price of the STs on line, because I was thinking of selling back in January, Brexit killing the import market has put the price of the car above when I last checked 6months ago.

I've a price I'd look for from VW and a price I'd go private if there's not too much difference I'll just trade it in but again, without a solid build/delivery date I'm stuck.

I ordered the same time as Joe maybe a day or two earlier so I'd hope for an August delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

What's the details on your own ST?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I ordered the same time as Joe maybe a day or two earlier so I'd hope for an August delivery.

Do you have a build week yet? You should definitely follow up with the dealer at this stage and see where it’s at. If it’s still sitting there on the system with no BW allocated you won’t see it in August.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Do you have a build week yet? You should definitely follow up with the dealer at this stage and see where it’s at. If it’s still sitting there on the system with no BW allocated you won’t see it in August.

I got the "were on track for middle of August delivery"

No details.

I'm going to call up tomorrow and see what they say, tell them I'm selling privately so need an idea of build week so i can put it up online a few weeks before the CS arrives.

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »
    What's the details on your own ST?

161 Fiesta ST2
    Blue
    80000 kms
    1 owner (me) original Irish car
    Ford FSH
    Mountune m215 upgrade (215bhp)
    Lowered by Ford on H&R 30mm springs

No details.

I'm going to call up tomorrow and see what they say, tell them I'm selling privately so need an idea of build week so i can put it up online a few weeks before the CS arrives.

Yeah that’s a bit of a spoof. The car either has a BW or it doesn’t, it takes a minute to check that on the system. If it has one - great. If not - it definitely is not on track for August!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

161 Fiesta ST2
    Blue
    80000 kms
    Ford FSH

215 bhp in a fiesta must be an absolute hoot to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

My PCP deal is ending in 9 months (191 Tiguan R Line). I’m thinking of changing to a Mk 7.5 Gti. Any advice on buying, I’ll be going to a main VW dealer for ease of changing. I had a Mk 7 GTD before the Tiguan and I have the itch for performance again.

Also, I like the LED headlights I have on the Tiguan, is it right that the 7.5 Gti has LED headlights as standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

161 Fiesta ST2
    Blue
    80000 kms
    Ford FSH

I imagine you would sell that very easily privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Kagawa wrote: »
    My PCP deal is ending in 9 months (191 Tiguan R Line). I’m thinking of changing to a Mk 7.5 Gti. Any advice on buying, I’ll be going to a main VW dealer for ease of changing. I had a Mk 7 GTD before the Tiguan and I have the itch for performance again.

Also, I like the LED headlights I have on the Tiguan, is it right that the 7.5 Gti has LED headlights as standard?

Yep, LEDs are standard on the 7.5 GTI/GTD/R.

Nice MK7.5 GTI's aren't that plentiful (in comparison to R's), but I saw one pop up on Frank Keane's page a few days ago, black, with a few options ticked. Looks like a good one.

Asking prices on them are fairly strong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Nice MK7.5 GTI's aren't that plentiful (in comparison to R's), but I saw one pop up on Frank Keane's page a few days ago, black, with a few options ticked. Looks like a good one.

Asking prices on them are fairly strong too.

Thanks Joe, I’ve noticed that alright. It’s odd that there’s so many R’s about. I do about 100km round trip a day so no way I could go for an R. I’m in no hurry so I’ll wait and see if the right car pops up. Otherwise I’ll just roll over the PCP into a loan from the VW bank.

161 Fiesta ST2
    Blue
    80000 kms
    Ford FSH

What might you be looking for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

No details.

There’ll be an 8.5 by the time I get mine so..

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Joe, I’ve noticed that alright. It’s odd that there’s so many R’s about.

R's were the much stronger seller new, hence there's a lot more used ones out there.

What might you be looking for it?

These are the only two I could find.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/fiesta/fpa/202104061026761?journey=Search

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/fiesta/fpa/202106143803856?journey=Search

The first is newer and considerably less mileage.

The 2nd one would be my ball park, same year, similar enough mileage, but if I was putting it up I'd under cut and would definitely look for about 15,250/15,000.

That first one is mad money, actually they both are! I sold the 161 ST-2 I had in early 2017 for not much less than the first one. In fairness I only bought it new for about the 21/22k mark.

Oh theyve definitely gone back up in price from what I remember checking 6months back. Thanks to Brexit, anything half decent that's in the country now will have a slight premium given you're not getting much else choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That first one is mad money, actually they both are! I sold the 161 ST-2 I had in early 2017 for not much less than the first one. In fairness I only bought it new for about the 21/22k mark.

Unfortunately it's quite misleading to compare prices pre covid and pre brexit. This year prices are all over the place.

I tried to get i30N 191 for 32k right before Xmas last year. Was offered 14k trade in for my Seat Ibiza cupra 171. Now there is 192 i30N ( exactly half a year later ) for 34k. So basically 2k increase.
    Seat ibiza is pretty rare now too. Only one for sale with 1.8 engine in private sale for 16k and its 161 car too.

Prices are all over the place at the moment. Dealers are not pricing second hand cars depending on their price when they were new. They pricing second hand cars depending on price tag of new models prices right now. And we all know that new car prices jumped significantly.

• Advertisement

Ya, it's a bit of a farce tbh.

I've to book the ST in anyway to get the small few things done before putting it up for sale but once I hear from VW about build weeks I'll go about that.

Similar situation here, I traded my 161 in 2018 for 15k, but it had decent enough mileage on it, around 80kms which would have been high enough for what was a 2 and a half year old car. My car was 23.5k new after the Ford discounts in 2016.

Which colour did you have? My mate bought a 161 Spirit Blue in Limerick around that time, wondering if it was your car.

@Gav I think 15k would be a fair price for yours in a private sale, but I doubt VW will give you that for it, maybe I am wrong.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Similar situation here, I traded my 161 in 2018 for 15k, but it had decent enough mileage on it, around 80kms which would have been high enough for what was a 2 and a half year old car. My car was 23.5k new after the Ford discounts in 2016.

Which colour did you have? My mate bought a 161 Spirit Blue in Limerick around that time, wondering if it was your car.

Mine was Spirit Blue too. I had started doing a lot of mileage so had to switch to diesel otherwise I'd have overtaken your 80k in year 2. Worked for the ESB?

I came across it again 2 years later, coming against me in a fleet of STs en route to FR Ted's house.

Mine was Spirit Blue too. Worked for the ESB?

Yeah that's him, small world. He still has it, few nice mods on it. I'd say it will be a keeper for him. He has a couple of other older classics too.

hooch-85 wrote: »

@Gav I think 15k would be a fair price for yours in a private sale, but I doubt VW will give you that for it, maybe I am wrong.

I'm lucky enough my commute the last few years is about 10kms a day, total.

Only mileage I've put on mine is weekend spins and a few nights away up the country.

I was looking to buy a TCR in Frank Keanes at the turn of the year and they were offering roughly 13k, I'd say VW Cork might offer similar but ideally I'd like to get as close to 15k as possible, put a decent dent in the monthly repayments.

Since Covid and WFH became the norm I've only put around 25kms on my Golf R in 18 months or so, I think I did 32kms in the first year of ownership of my ST!

My role is being classed as a "hybrid" role going forward so I'll have a mixture of WFH and in the office a couple of days a week which should work out well, the only thing that annoys me is paying €600 a year in tax for a car that only gets driven the odd evening or at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

€600 a year isn't even bad in the grand scheme of things. It's when you're in the €1200+ brackets that you really start to consider usage versus return on investment. :D

It's worth having at least one ridiculously taxed car in life at some stage, if only for the fact every car after that is always better value. It helps the man maths if needed too, of course.

Ah yeah, bang for buck the R at €600 a year isn't too bad but I reckon those Co2 based cars will be in for a raft of increases over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

Thought I'd ask here, my ACC and front assist are not working, I think the front radar got a bang.
    Any idea how much it'll cost me to get it recalibrated?
    I've heard it's not cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Thought I'd ask here, my ACC and front assist are not working, I think the front radar got a bang.
    Any idea how much it'll cost me to get it recalibrated?
    I've heard it's not cheap

Calibration is €300 at main dealer.

Advertisement