Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭User1998

Thought I'd ask here, my ACC and front assist are not working, I think the front radar got a bang.
    Any idea how much it'll cost me to get it recalibrated?
    I've heard it's not cheap

Is this a new car you’ve just bought or did it just working stop recently on your current car?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

AutoMan79 wrote: »
    Calibration is €300 at main dealer.

Thanks yeah that's around what I was thinking.
    I've called a few local fellas and they've all said I don't have the equipment, so that's going to put a hole in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Most dealers will charge 2 to 2.5 hours labour to calibrate. Some independent places are starting to get the equipment, generally crash repair places so maybe try some body shops as opposed to mechanical workshops.

If yours is a Mk7 pre facelift with the radar in the lower grille, make sure it isn't just moved on it's mount. The radar sits into a square male/ female drive style setup and if they get a bad bang they can be off square in the drive and can occasionally snap back into place and not need a calibration at all. You'd know by looking at it, it'd be fairly obvious.

User1998 wrote: »
    Is this a new car you’ve just bought or did it just working stop recently on your current car?

It stopped working a few weeks back when I hit a deer.
    I just caught its head, so it cracked the bumper and broke the moldings that hold the sensors and washer jet.
    It also knocked the radar because that's stopped working since then.
    All in all, I got off very lucky, missed the first deer and the hit the head of the 2nd one as he tried to run across my path.

Most dealers will charge 2 to 2.5 hours labour to calibrate. Some independent places are starting to get the equipment, generally crash repair places so maybe try some body shops as opposed to mechanical workshops.

If yours is a Mk7 pre facelift with the radar in the lower grille, make sure it isn't just moved on it's mount. The radar sits into a square male/ female drive style setup and if they get a bad bang they can be off square in the drive and can occasionally snap back into place and not need a calibration at all. You'd know by looking at it, it'd be fairly obvious.

I've asked a few crash repair places as the bumper has a crack that I'd like seen to, but they all said to go to the main dealer with it.

It's the Mk7 so it's mounted in the lower grille.
    It happened before where I went over a pot hole and it showed up the same message.
    The plastic surround is missing too.

I'll see if it's just knocked out of place now, might save me a few quid!

• Advertisement

What part of the country are you in? Might be able to recommend someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Anyone else here picking up anything new and shiny today for the new 212 plate? My Dad is collecting his new big-spec Tiguan R-Line a little later on after a 7 month wait. He's like a child on Christmas morning !

OSI wrote: »
    If it's broken the mount I don't think you can do much beyond get the bumper and all replaced. TFB will know more though.

Nope I'm an idiot, I didn't realise the plate behind the radar is triangular, I assumed a corner was missing/broken off.

The radar is fairly solid, doesn't wiggle about.

What part of the country are you in? Might be able to recommend someone.

I'm over towards Galway and working in Athlone.

It stopped working a few weeks back when I hit a deer.
    I just caught its head, so it cracked the bumper and broke the moldings that hold the sensors and washer jet.
    It also knocked the radar because that's stopped working since then.
    All in all, I got off very lucky, missed the first deer and the hit the head of the 2nd one as he tried to run across my path.

Ah yes I think I remember you posting about it. All I was going to say was that if this is a car you’ve just bought it usually indicates previous accident damage that you might want to investigate. Happened to me and it turned out the whole front end had been replaced. I never bothered fixing it so I’m of no use there

• Advertisement

User1998 wrote: »
    Ah yes I think I remember you posting about it. All I was going to say was that if this is a car you’ve just bought it usually indicates previous accident damage that you might want to investigate. Happened to me and it turned out the whole front end had been replaced. I never bothered fixing it so I’m of no use there

So the radar causing fault could/would indicate previous damage?
    I took off the front bumper when assessing the damage(s) and I just found the hex heads had obviously seen a screw driver since leaving the factory.
    But everything lines up perfectly, nothing looks unusually new and it hasn't caused me much hassle beyond the deer incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Verdict and some more pictures in the next few days :)

3164-F4-E5-D1-D1-41-E1-9-CFE-12-AF02-FF41-FD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Congratulations. Well wear and safe driving.
    Love the alloys.

So the radar causing fault could/would indicate previous damage?
    I took off the front bumper when assessing the damage(s) and I just found the hex heads had obviously seen a screw driver since leaving the factory.
    But everything lines up perfectly, nothing looks unusually new and it hasn't caused me much hassle beyond the deer incident.

Well yes usually it would indicate that there might have been some accident damage, but you hit into a deer so that obviously explains it

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

FK sold the CS they had with the black pack.

Congrats to whoever picked her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

GavRedKing wrote: »

Fella I was talking to in there said it was over 61k list I think. wonder how much they got it for.

Ya I was qouted at 65k when I enquired a few months back.

The fella who originally ordered it picked it up. He had changed to an R but changed back again to the CS!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Kagawa wrote: »
    My PCP deal is ending in 9 months (191 Tiguan R Line). I’m thinking of changing to a Mk 7.5 Gti. Any advice on buying, I’ll be going to a main VW dealer for ease of changing. I had a Mk 7 GTD before the Tiguan and I have the itch for performance again.

Also, I like the LED headlights I have on the Tiguan, is it right that the 7.5 Gti has LED headlights as standard?

Right, got a quote for a 181 Gti, 3k back in cash and a PCP finance for 3 years, only a small increase in my monthly payments.

It looks ok to me, the mileage on the Gti is less than my Tiguan. Any thoughts on this based on what people are seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Right, got a quote for a 181 Gti, 3k back in cash and a PCP finance for 3 years, only a small increase in my monthly payments.

It looks ok to me, the mileage on the Gti is less than my Tiguan. Any thoughts on this based on what people are seeing.

That seems good but it depends what the retail value of the Tiguan is and if you don't mind going "down in the years", be prepared for the general joe public to think you've downgraded.

Its hardly the 181 Black GTi in Trinity motors by any chance? I spotted that today and it's a very nice spec.

• Advertisement

hooch-85 wrote: »
    That seems good but it depends what the retail value of the Tiguan is and if you don't mind going "down in the years", be prepared for the general joe public to think you've downgraded.

Its hardly the 181 Black GTi in Trinity motors by any chance? I spotted that today and it's a very nice spec.

They’re allowing 30k for the Tiguan, it’s not that one. It’s from a main dealer.

Trinity is a main dealer :)

They’re allowing 30k for the Tiguan, it’s not that one. It’s from a main dealer.

Id definitely be be having a look at this if I was in the market for a GTi 7.5

http://www.carsireland.ie/2867981

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Id definitely be be having a look at this if I was in the market for a GTi 7.5

http://www.carsireland.ie/2867981

It's lovely but I had a black golf years ago and I just could not keep it clean, and it's higher mileage than the one I'm looking at. It has some serious spec though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Prices of performance Golfs are gone through the roof.

I was briefly looking at a similar car to the one below this time last and the asking price was 37k. 43K now for a 2 year old Mk7.5 GTi, mad when you can buy a brand new MK8 CS for low 50k.

https://www.carsireland.ie/2866564

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

35k for a 3 year old Golf....madness! I guess it's todays market now with brexit etc.

Wailin wrote: »
    35k for a 3 year old Golf....madness! I guess it's todays market now with brexit etc.

That one is actually pretty good value compared to some! Have a look at what 2014/15/16 Golf Rs are making and you'd be shocked. They are selling too, very quickly in most cases.

Confirmed build week 28, which is in the next week or two I think.

Time to start trying to shift the Fiesta on.

Confirmed build week 28, which is in the next week or two I think.

Time to start trying to shift the Fiesta on.

Oh nice one! I was in the dealers here yesterday with Dad to pick up his new Tiguan and mine is still set for wk27 (next week). He was saying the situation with car availability is really chronic at the moment. He's not really sure how I managed to get that build week. He suggested that it was likely down to dealer allocations for each model.

• Advertisement

Ah brilliant. How's the Tiguain looking?

Build week is good to know now anyway can get started on the small jobs for the ST and hopefully have it gone just before the CS turns up.

I'm not far from work as it is so that's not really an issue if I go without a car for a week or two.

Just have to hope now theres no delays with shipping.

:o

Advertisement