Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Looks great, well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Reg plates are going to ruin the look of the front end of the car. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Reg plates are going to ruin the look of the front end of the car. :o

Yea, big time! Was considering leaving it off till it becomes an issue! 😝

Is it illegal to have a vinyl front plate here?

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Is it illegal to have a vinyl front plate here?

No, as long as it's "conforming" so reflective and all the EU stuff and county etc... I had one on my old Impreza. We fitted a front mount intercooler so the reg plate mount was gone. No issues with the vinal.

Don't know where I'd put it on the golf though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Personally I think a vinyl plate looks worse than no plate.

A simple pressed metal plate in a plate holder will look grand imo.

Lovely car!

No, as long as it's "conforming" so reflective and all the EU stuff and county etc... I had one on my old Impreza. We fitted a front mount intercooler so the reg plate mount was gone. No issues with the vinal.

Don't know where I'd put it on the golf though.

Ah yeah, the kink in the bumper kind of stops you being able to do that I guess. Interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

After a very long wait (order made first week of January) I can now present to you my new mk8 Clubsport!!

I just love it! I'll post better pictures another time but here you go.

There are no filters applied, the lighting just affects the way the camera captures the colour.

Screenshot-20210703-214956-Whats-App.jpg

Screenshot-20210703-214104-Whats-App.jpg

Congrats, lovely car and the best colour IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Looks savage!
    Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

What colour is that?

• Advertisement

What colour is that?

Moonstone Grey. Looks quite like Nardo Grey.

Just one more pic...

Screenshot-20210704-194927-Whats-App.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Almost looks Olive in colour there!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

A small review would be welcome after you’ve put a few miles on it Shane. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The car looks fantastic, well wear Shane!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Car looks savage. Love the spoiler on the back.

That moonstone grey looks really well especially with the black and red details.

Thanks guys!

So far it's amazing! 190km in and it's just such a nice motor to drive. The touch buttons will take a while to get used to but I'm sure will be second nature in no time although I'd definitely take physical buttons any day!

The power is fantastic!! Suspension is surprisingly plush and the handling is so precise. Brakes feel great, good feel right from the first touch but not snappy. The seats are very supportive and comfortable.

The infotainment system has crashed a couple of time already although it is the latest software so we'll see how that progresses. I don't really fancy sending the car back in after only a couple days of ownership.

I'm 100% happy with my purchase though and the spec also! Genuinely love it. On spec actually, I did spec HK sounds and so far I find it good but not OMG this is the best sound I've ever heard! Now I didn't do too much messing about with it, there is no real instruction on how to set it up but I do think, from owning a mk7.5 GTI, that the standard set up is definitely acceptable.

I've no regrets not specing DCC but do slightly regret not specing a sunroof. Not because it's too dark an interior, I love the black cloth and headliner, but just because they look cool in my opinion.

I'll update on anything significant as time goes on.

Fair play Shane. Sounds great.

I’ve read elsewhere on the uk gti forum that the hk system needs to be calibrated for it to impress. They also said that vw will not help you do this as it’s third party.

I’ve gone with the standard sound system and will probably look to upgrade it once there’s a solid solution like on the mk7. I found the standard ok but my current car sounds better and it’s 11 years old.

I must say that after seeing them a few times now the black estorils look great. Only seen them on the reflex and now moonstone but I think they look really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Car looks unreal. I see all the mk8 haters are gone very quiet lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 MoJoCaine

Ah lads, hang on a minute here.
    €75k...........
    https://www2.volkswagen.ie/en/used-cars/244250

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

GavRedKing wrote: »
    PM'd.

Unfortunately you've still too many messages! Would you mind pm'ing an alternative communication method...this will all make sense soon, I promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

MoJoCaine wrote: »
    Ah lads, hang on a minute here.
    €75k...........
    https://www2.volkswagen.ie/en/used-cars/244250

You need a mortgage these days to buy a new hot hatch golf...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

hooch-85 wrote: »

It's still a no from me. :( The CS is the best looking of the lot for sure and the right colour/wheel combo helps a lot, but those headlights and that front bumper/grille is something I can't seem to get over and if I don't like the entire front end of a car it's just not gonna happen, unless they were giving them away, which they are most definitely not. :P

I was one of those haters but converted after seeing one in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I must say I'm not a fan of that type of grey colour. It looks too much like primer to me.

Well wear with it. From looking around, the CS is probably the best for bang per buck. The R is shocking expensive, the Cupra is no cheaper than the CS while will probably depreciate more. The vRS, while almost €8k to €10k cheaper doesn't have the power or presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I think they look well in the flesh too in the right spec. I've seen a few around, one in red and the other in that grey.

Yours looks great Shane :) i'd have specced it similarly if I went for one. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Thanks guys!

So far it's amazing! 190km in and it's just such a nice motor to drive. The touch buttons will take a while to get used to but I'm sure will be second nature in no time although I'd definitely take physical buttons any day!

The power is fantastic!! Suspension is surprisingly plush and the handling is so precise. Brakes feel great, good feel right from the first touch but not snappy. The seats are very supportive and comfortable.

The infotainment system has crashed a couple of time already although it is the latest software so we'll see how that progresses. I don't really fancy sending the car back in after only a couple days of ownership.

I'm 100% happy with my purchase though and the spec also! Genuinely love it. On spec actually, I did spec HK sounds and so far I find it good but not OMG this is the best sound I've ever heard! Now I didn't do too much messing about with it, there is no real instruction on how to set it up but I do think, from owning a mk7.5 GTI, that the standard set up is definitely acceptable.

I've no regrets not specing DCC but do slightly regret not specing a sunroof. Not because it's too dark an interior, I love the black cloth and headliner, but just because they look cool in my opinion.

I'll update on anything significant as time goes on.

Gone into buffshop?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Normal mk8 still looks like ****. Gti/R looks way better.

And happy driving. The colour suits it. Definitely stands out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another TCR for sale:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe923c18313b3999ff428610c6b6a6f7cbc.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/2864786

Advertisement