Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seats - Cybex

Options
  • 16-06-2020 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there, looking at car seats for new arrival. From shopping at the weekend the girl tried to steer us towards the cybex cloud Z car seat and base. The selling points were that it lies flat, can go in travel system and the base lasts for the next seat bought.

It's quite expensive, just wondering does anyone have it and thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

_nobody_ wrote: »
    Hi there, looking at car seats for new arrival. From shopping at the weekend the girl tried to steer us towards the cybex cloud Z car seat and base. The selling points were that it lies flat, can go in travel system and the base lasts for the next seat bought.

It's quite expensive, just wondering does anyone have it and thoughts on it?

I think this car seat is the extremely heavy one no? I’d steer clear if it is! There’s a big mega thread on car seats here and the ladies and gents there are really knowledgeable! Might be in the newborn and toddlers part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I don’t know anything about this seat but I’m always wary about the idea of the base being available to use with the next seat. Rear facing until 4 is the safest option and isofix seats only go to 18kg so a lot of children grow out of them before 4 and you end up buying a new seat that goes to 25kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I don’t have it so can’t comment, but Do remember that if you had another child in the time frame that the child you’re expecting now will still be using the next stage car seat, you’d have to buy a second base, or else another car seat anyhow. I’ve seen a good few people get caught with that and the maxi cosi seats that share bases.

Honestly, i think you can’t go wrong with a maxi cosi cabriofix and easyfix base. The seat shell is the longest of most infant carriers so it tends to last a bit longer, and it’s less expensive than some others. It will fit most travel systems with adaptors. I’m sorry, I know that’s not what you asked, I normally avoid answering unasked questions, but I sometimes can’t help myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

I have this seat (the previous version before this newest isize version - only minor changes between them). I really liked it. Yes it’s heavier, all lie flat seats are heavier than non-lie flat, I had a c section and still found it fine. The lie flat is so handy when out and about, can stay in the seat longer safely than say a maxicosy. It has a massive hood with build in sun protection which was so so handy even when napping, offers so much coverage. I can definitely recommend it. I now have the next seat up, the sirona z isize on the z base. Again really like it and have the sensorsafe version which detects baby being left alone in the car, temperature inside the car etc. Gives you a warning if you leave the car without baby or of car too hot. Swivel base is essential for toddler imo and this base does that. Also like the pop out side impact protection. My partner also has a cybex sirona S isize in his car. Baby, now toddler, happily still rear facing at 2 and seems comfortable in the seat and was the same in the infant seat. Don’t underestimate how handy it is to be able to leave sleeping baby in car seat when going to the shop than having to transfer them from a non lie flat to buggy and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 _nobody_

jlm29 wrote: »
    Honestly, i think you can’t go wrong with a maxi cosi cabriofix and easyfix base. The seat shell is the longest of most infant carriers so it tends to last a bit longer, and it’s less expensive than some others. It will fit most travel systems with adaptors. I’m sorry, I know that’s not what you asked, I normally avoid answering unasked questions, but I sometimes can’t help myself :D

All feedback welcome, this is new to me.

It's between the Cabriofix and the cybex for me. I am hoping to get a 360 rotating one for the second seat up, so have not totally given up on Cybex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Don’t underestimate how handy it is to be able to leave sleeping baby in car seat when going to the shop than having to transfer them from a non lie flat to buggy and back again.

I could not agree with this comment more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

_nobody_ wrote: »
    All feedback welcome, this is new to me.

It's between the Cabriofix and the cybex for me. I am hoping to get a 360 rotating one for the second seat up, so have not totally given up on Cybex.

Try them in your car? That might influence your choice. Look at the price of the second seat.....you might be using the base on your next child....there are a few that rotate on market anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We used a familyfix base and MaxiCosi seat on all of ours. I didn't like leaving them in the car seat so rarely used the function that allowed it to sit into the buggy frame. They needed a bigger seat by 12-15 months anyway so don't be swayed by gimmicks.

lazygal wrote: »
    We used a familyfix base and MaxiCosi seat on all of ours. I didn't like leaving them in the car seat so rarely used the function that allowed it to sit into the buggy frame. They needed a bigger seat by 12-15 months anyway so don't be swayed by gimmicks.

I believe all infant carrier car seats attach to buggy frame the difference is some can recline to a lie flat position when out of the car and some can’t. It is safer to have them in a lie flat position so they can stay in the seat longer than in a regular infant carrier car seat.

My buggy was the uppababy vista and the buggy seat itself is not suitable for babies under 6 months (there was some wedge insert available and it wasn’t cheap) so not all buggies will automatically be suitable for use from birth without the infant carried being attached. There’s nothing gimmicky about making the seat safer for infants and lie flat position is safer than non-flat if the seat is going to be used outside the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I preferred having them in the pram part lying flat or in a sling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Me too

Loved the sling for walks and getting things done around the house but preferred not to disturb her by moving between equipment when out and needed to get shopping done etc. Found the bassinet part took up too much space in the car for bringing to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 willitallbeok

I have the cloud z, first baby, even though it's been less than two weeks have found it great so far.
    The lie flat is brilliant to leave them sleep a bit after getting to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

Do you find it heavy? Is the swivel option as useful as it looks considering you would be putting them into the car seat probably before putting them into the car anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 willitallbeok

Cokezero wrote: »
    Do you find it heavy? Is the swivel option as useful as it looks considering you would be putting them into the car seat probably before putting them into the car anyway?

As it's my first baby, I've nothing to compare it to, but apparently it is heavier than other non swivel seats.
    However, I'm not intending to be carrying it very far - in and out of the house, or family & friends houses when this covid19 blows over.
    I personally like the swivel function, pop them straight in, no bending around to fix it in place, then it just clicks in when you turn it.

The other main plus I mentioned already is the lie flat, have used it every time he's been in the car seat.

Advertisement