Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENTLY Looking for a house to let

Options
  • 16-06-2020 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

I am looking to rent a house around the Celbridge area but having trouble finding a landlord that will take 2 young guys for a long term lease.

I am looking to let with my cousin. We are both working full time 9 to 5 jobs and are looking for a long term lease of at least 3 years.

We are looking preferably around the East Kildare area (Celbridge, Maynooth, Leixlip, Clane, Sallins, Naas etc) and would also like properties around Lucan, Clondalkin, Citywest and Tallaght.

Our max budget is €1500/month with at least 2 bedrooms, so if anybody knows of landlords that are leasing their homes then please do let me know as soon as you can, really getting desperate here.

Thank you in advance for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

ddx05 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking to rent a house around the Celbridge area but having trouble finding a landlord that will take 2 young guys for a long term lease.

I am looking to let with my cousin. We are both working full time 9 to 5 jobs and are looking for a long term lease of at least 3 years.

We are looking preferably around the East Kildare area (Celbridge, Maynooth, Leixlip, Clane, Sallins, Naas etc) and would also like properties around Lucan, Clondalkin, Citywest and Tallaght.

Our max budget is €1500/month with at least 2 bedrooms, so if anybody knows of landlords that are leasing their homes then please do let me know as soon as you can, really getting desperate here.

Thank you in advance for the help

Why do you need a 3 year lease? Would a Part 4 tenancy not do the trick?

From the RTB website:
    A fixed term tenancy is a tenancy that lasts for a specific amount of time as set out in your tenancy agreement or lease. A ‘part 4’ tenancy runs alongside a fixed term tenancy, which means that the tenant shall, after a period of six months and as in the normal course, become entitled to the provision of a ‘Part 4’ tenancy. A Part 4 tenancy means they can stay in the property for a further 5 and a half years or 3 and a half years if the tenancy commenced before 24 December 2016 and subject to certain exceptions for termination. This means that irrespective of the length of a fixed term lease, a tenant has an entitlement to remain in the dwelling for up to six years and the landlord can only terminate on limited grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ddx05

Why do you need a 3 year lease? Would a Part 4 tenancy not do the trick?

From the RTB website:

Yeah it would, but our problem is that landlords don't want to go near young people, I've had a few tell that to me themselves. Im on here looking to see if there are any landlords that will take on young people on a long term lease

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Is this based on feedback from the landlords? Have they said that they won't rent to someone too young, or that they won't rent to someone who only wants the place for a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Long term leases are not the norm in Ireland, because they are enforced on the landlord, but the tenant (in spite of the lease) can pretty much walk away at any time. There are not many landlords interested in a 3 year lease as a result. You're better off just looking for a short term lease, and hope to extend, extend and extend again.

Its a fact of life that 2 young lads looking to become tenants just screams party central. The landlord will likely see breakages, noise complaints, and girlfriends moving in - in stead of upstanding gentlemen of the future. Maybe offer a higher deposit to ease fears, and come with good references, good financial standing and a good attitude.

There are many posts on here saying the market is flooded with rental property at the moment. Its probably better than 6 months ago, but its still requires a selling job from the tenant to beat the competition.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So don't look for a 3 year lease, look for a 1 year lease and you gain Part IV tenancy rights after 6 months. A lot more 1 year leases going around than 3 years.

• Advertisement

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    Is this based on feedback from the landlords? Have they said that they won't rent to someone too young, or that they won't rent to someone who only wants the place for a year?

Yeah after we got rejected by a landlord I emailed him back and asked for advice, he said that most landlords won't go near young people.

Also recently at a viewing I had an estate agent tell us that we were highly unlikely to get the house because we are 2 young guys too.

DubCount wrote: »
    Long term leases are not the norm in Ireland, because they are enforced on the landlord, but the tenant (in spite of the lease) can pretty much walk away at any time. There are not many landlords interested in a 3 year lease as a result. You're better off just looking for a short term lease, and hope to extend, extend and extend again.

Its a fact of life that 2 young lads looking to become tenants just screams party central. The landlord will likely see breakages, noise complaints, and girlfriends moving in - in stead of upstanding gentlemen of the future. Maybe offer a higher deposit to ease fears, and come with good references, good financial standing and a good attitude.

There are many posts on here saying the market is flooded with rental property at the moment. Its probably better than 6 months ago, but its still requires a selling job from the tenant to beat the competition.

Good luck

Cheers good advice. I had been offering 1 months rent as a deposit. What would you think would be a good amount? Im getting a bit disheartened after over a year of looking, just trying anything at this stage to get a place, we both have good references from work and previous landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Cheers good advice. I had been offering 1 months rent as a deposit. What would you think would be a good amount? Im getting a bit disheartened after over a year of looking, just trying anything at this stage to get a place, we both have good references from work and previous landlords

I would go with 2 months. It depends what your financial position is like. 1 month is expected and is no difference to other tenants. This might just put you a bit ahead of the competition as it shows you have some financial backing, as well as commitment to look after the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cheers good advice. I had been offering 1 months rent as a deposit.
    One month is standard. Heck, it's minimum. Offer whatever two months rent is as deposit.

Can you afford what's equal to three months (deposit & first month) rent up front?

the_syco wrote: »
    One month is standard. Heck, it's minimum. Offer whatever two months rent is as deposit.

Can you afford what's equal to three months (deposit & first month) rent up front?

Its definitely do-able yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

If I were a landlord, I would much prefer rent to 2 young working people. No kids running around, breaking furniture.
    Less likely to overstay or look for HAP.

Meeoow wrote: »
    If I were a landlord, I would much prefer rent to 2 young working people. No kids running around, breaking furniture.
    Less likely to overstay or look for HAP.

I don't get it myself. All landlords seem to think is that young people are going to have parties every day of the week but forget that we both work 9 to 5 jobs. Some of the excuses they give are laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I don't get it myself. All landlords seem to think is that young people are going to have parties every day of the week but forget that we both work 9 to 5 jobs. Some of the excuses they give are laughable

It's all.about risk. A young couple working with a kid versus two young guys. Which is least likely to cause more hassle. Probably the couple. Lots more issues potentially with the two young men. Assuming your not in a same sex relationship. Enter girl friends, parties , friends staying over , arguments over bills etc leading to cancelling of contract, who's managing the rental payment one or two ?? One pays to the other the other keeps it for one or two months then legs it etc... the issues are endless with two individuals renting. If you said you were a couple I'd say you would have more offers. In short landlords want to limit risk and you OP are towards the high risk. Three month deposit plus one month up front and you will get closer to getting that call you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I've heard of pairs of lads presenting as a couple because unless you get unlucky with the landlord that seems less of an issue than mates who might have parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yong people = students.
    Students = parties.

It probably because students start renting during the summer when they have job references, and then boom, college party time :P
    I've heard of pairs of lads presenting as a couple because unless you get unlucky with the landlord that seems less of an issue than mates who might have parties.
    I'd wonder if any landlords ever took the 2nd bed out of the place to spite them if the LL though the "couple" was trying to pull his leg :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Nobody takes out 3 year leases as standard - anything could change for either party. Also - ‘offering’ a months deposit - you are complying with a bare minimun requirement - that for many has become a 2 or 3 month deposit downpayment as normal. Two lads wanting to bunk up together in a 2 bed place for 3 years lease who have been working and both looking for a year but can find nowhere - This whole thing ring alarm bells as an outsider - I’m not surprised you are having difficulties - a few things not ringing clear in this t all. I wouldn’t rent to you either - too many odd links in the story.

I really dont know what we are going to do. Neither of us are students BTW and we both have full time jobs. Is it any wonder that young men make up the majority of homeless people, which I could soon become myself and im on good money for my age. What the f*ck am I supposed to do, I had a viewing there yesterday, offered 3 months rent as a security deposit PLUS the month's rent in advance and we still didn't get it ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I really dont know what we are going to do. Neither of us are students BTW and we both have full time jobs. Is it any wonder that young men make up the majority of homeless people, which I could soon become myself and im on good money for my age. What the f*ck am I supposed to do, I had a viewing there yesterday, offered 3 months rent as a security deposit PLUS the month's rent in advance and we still didn't get it ?????

Did you turn up a the viewing wearing an earring?

Did you turn up a the viewing wearing an earring?

Nope

You wouldn't have much issue getting a room in an existing houseshare if you are stuck so a long way from risk of homelessness.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying it's not difficult - it is difficult, but there must be something in your approach that you can change. Whether it's compromising on what you're looking for, or changing the way you're engaging with landlords maybe? I've never heard of someone with a steady income just point blank not being able to find somewhere.

You said you're looking for a house - have you tried apartments?
    You're looking with your cousin - would it be easier to look for rooms in shared places separately?
    Are you telling landlords that you're cousins? I'd push the professional slant and leave that out, it's too personal.
    You've also talked about what you offer landlords - I've never started out that conversation by offering terms to a landlord, they've always told me what they wanted. It might be worth changing tack and trying to seem agreeable and compliant rather than trying to control the agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

When I was looking for a place in the past with a friend we started going to viewings saying we were a couple and had a lot more success, so try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Stop looking for a 3 year lease, it's definitely freaking landlords out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Why not spoof and say youre a young professional couple?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Stop looking for a 3 year lease, it's definitely freaking landlords out.

Absolutely. No agent wants to hear of a 3 year lease. take 12 months and behave and you will have part 4 after 6 months.

Any LL is mad to sign any fixed term lease at all, all it does is take away what few rights he/she. A 3 year lease would be madness for a LL to enter into.

Advertisement