Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cast aluminium garden furniture repair

• 16-06-2020 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi there
    Looking for advice on how to repair a cast aluminium garden table that has cracked at one side
    Any ideas would be helpful, particularly in the area of whether it could be welded
    I currently have a piece of timber wedged between the leg frame and the table top but would like something more aesthetically pleasing and permanent
    Hopefully pics make sense

Comments

You sure its Alu?
    Try a magnet against it.
    If its alu anyone with a Tig welder could do it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You sure its Alu?
    Try a magnet against it.
    If its alu anyone with a Tig welder could do it !

I’d put a metal brace on it, something like this:

Heavy Duty Galvanised Steel Flat Mending Plate Bracket Repair Various Sizes (100 x 200 mm) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083QVLJY6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_byo6EbP7D3EZG

Then, spray it to match

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

Thanks for replies
    I’ll check the magnet trick
    I think bracing is a good idea
    However I reckon there’s a design flaw
    Not that I know too much but there’s insufficient support over the 2.2 m length to hold it so I was thinking of getting something substantial welded down both sides to support it ?
    Does that make sense ??
    Perfect otherwise and she was expensive from the outset so anxious to hold onto it
    Thanks sgsin

And magnet doesn’t stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

do the supporting runners that are at right angles to the long side where the break is come out all the way to touch the drop leg of the outside angle.
    If so the long brace will need to be on the outside of the table.
    Easy enough to do, I would drill it and bolt it with high tensile cup head bolts, drilled with no clearance, when you have all the prep done and the crack jacked up to close it, use epoxy glue in between.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I think the brace/ mending plate suggested is the best idea- a good stout piece of mild steel 25x 3mm or so, neatly fixed in under the table with 4 rivets or nuts and bolts. Plate could be epoxied in position first, before rivetting/ bolting. Small bit of touch up paint and the job is done. No guarantee a TIG weld would hold there, some of these castings can be porous enough and metal composition is anyone's guess.

That’s great , plenty to go on , I’m guessing 4 slim coach bolts should do the job ??? I’ve no rivets

Thanks to all for advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

SheroP wrote: »
    That’s great , plenty to go on , I’m guessing 4 slim coach bolts should do the job ??? I’ve no rivets

Thanks to all for advice

Coach bolts would work, little bit of filing work required to shape the holes into a "square" to receive them, but gutter bolts could also work, just torque them up good and snug.

Fair play,every day is a school day , that what I thought I was describing , at least now I’ll know what to ask for in hardware without appearing like a complete plonker, gutter bolts have a smooth shaft I’m guessing ?rather than the coach bolts with the square under the head ?

Advertisement