Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick LGBTQ youth organise a BLM and Anti Racism Solidarity protest

Options
  • 16-06-2020 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭

I know that our youth tend to be perceived in a poor light at the best of times but this short notice effort by a group of youths in Limerick really has given me a lot of hope for their future.

There has already been engagement with An Garda, the local LGBT and Immigrant support services, and a real effort to do this and do it right.

A group of 16/17 year old "kids" have even arranged a risk assessment and voluntary stewarding for this.

Look I'd be the first to say, American problem doesn't matter what happens here.
    It's virtue signalling and a whole pile of cop the fúck on to go with that.
    Then I listened to some Irish kids share their own stories. Be it the racism or homophobia they encounter on a regular basis, often from people of my age who should know better.

Change what we can, we can't make the world a better place without treating each other better to start with.

Let's make respect a virus, let's start with ourselves and make it an epidemic.

pbUnqtq

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

9cQTA4a_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Respect is earned and cannot be forced. It does not kill. Virus' do. This false equivalence is anti-science.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

banie01 wrote: »

Let's make respect a virus, let's start with ourselves and make it an epidemic.

pbUnqtq

Noble sentiments but, I have to say, this is the cringiest post I think I have ever seen on boards :pac:

2u2me wrote: »
    Respect is earned and cannot be forced. It does not kill. Virus' do. This false equivalence is anti-science.

So you must earn my respect for your right to exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

So you must earn my respect for your right to exist?

Your right to exist has nothing to do with me respecting you.

• Advertisement

Noble sentiments but, I have to say, this is the cringiest post I think I have ever seen on boards :pac:

I'm not going to win over many, I know.
    That said kids making efforts to break cycles of learned hate is to be lauded IMO.

It may leave me looking like I've sucked electric lemons, but there's nowt wrong with that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

Racism and homophobia have nothing to do with each other.

Some of the most homophobic countries in the world are where black people are the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Some of the most homophobic countries in the world are where black people are the majority.

There are many countries where things are worse or better than in other countries.

That doesn't mean we should ignore our own racism and homophobia issues.

So because some majority black countries are homophobic, it's alright for us to be too?

As for Racism/Homophobia not being related?
    I'd strongly disagree, insofar that both are learned hates and behaviour.
    Both leave entire communities marginalized and mistreated.
    Both can and do cause serious inequality in health, social, educational and justice.

That some young people see not an equivalence in their experiences here, with others and share empathy for that pain isn't something to be discouraged IMO.

If you feel it should be?
    Can you expand on why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

so black people can't be racist???

/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jesus LGBTQTBLM+ march in a pandemic, is there no end to this nonsense.
    The sooner there's county lockdowns the better, they'll see who's lives really matter then.

Jesus LGBTQTBLM+ march in a pandemic, is there no end to this nonsense.
    The sooner there's county lockdowns the better, they'll see who's lives really matter then.

It'll be a static protest/demo not a march, there were a few around the country over the weekend. Some were excellently socially distanced & vast majority in attendance wore masks - done much better than the queues for all the shops anyway that's for sure.

But Irish people queueing mushed together for hours to buy cheap socks and jocks doesn't seem to raise much outrage for some reason.

It'll be a static protest/demo not a march, there were a few around the country over the weekend. Some were excellently socially distanced & vast majority in attendance wore masks - done much better than the queues for all the shops anyway that's for sure.

But Irish people queueing mushed together for hours to buy cheap socks and jocks doesn't seem to raise much outrage for some reason.

Jocks and Socks matter, supporting american politically motivated clowns doesn't. They should stay at home.

Jocks and Socks matter, supporting american politically motivated clowns doesn't. They should stay at home.

Well if you bothered to read up on any of the protests you would find that they are protesting against local issues also.

Those issues matter despite your opinion

Well if you bothered to read up on any of the protests you would find that they are protesting against local issues also.

Those issues matter despite your opinion

There all clowns that's my opinion. Stay at home is the best thing they could do if they care about Irish lives. I'd honestly like to go down with a bamboo stick and beat some sense into them.
    There's a time to protest, the middle of a pandemic is not one of them.

so black people can't be racist???

/s

Of course they can.

It's just this march seems to be a show of solidarity between LGBT and black people and yet many majority black countries don't seem to have reciprocated this over the years.

I don't buy the all us supposed victims should join together and defeat the oppressors argument that constantly gets thrown out there by various groups over the years.

There all clowns that's my opinion. Stay at home is the best thing they could do if they care about Irish lives. I'd honestly like to go down with a bamboo stick and beat some sense into them.

That is some half arsed argument I'll give you that.

Tell me this, what's the difference between this protest and the queue for pennies?

Violence?
    Really....
    Against children trying to exercise some social conscience and with a concerted plan to socially distance in place?

So because some majority black countries are homophobic, it's alright for us to be too?

As for Racism/Homophobia not being related?
    I'd strongly disagree, insofar that both are learned hates and behaviour.
    Both leave entire communities marginalized and mistreated.
    Both can and do cause serious inequality in health, social, educational and justice.

That some young people see not an equivalence in their experiences here, with others and share empathy for that pain isn't something to be discouraged IMO.

If you feel it should be?
    Can you expand on why?

There is no more similarity between racism and homophobia than there is between any other forms of bullying or mistreatment that exist in the world today.

These marches are just because it's the current trendy cause that will get likes on twitter not because it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

More soapboxing from another group ,
    You won't see black teens in this country protesting LGBT rights not a hope ,
    The sooner schools and colleges get back to normal the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

What about ginger / red heads ( haired ) people ?
    I recall them being discriminated against , especially in primary school / secondary school+ college .

Surely , they ( ginger / red head people ) were affected in some way by this Ginger - Phobia .

Let's organize a march for those " minority " people also .

GLM ( Ginger lives matter ).

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    What about ginger / red heads ( haired ) people ?
    I recall them being discriminated against , especially in primary school / secondary school+ college .

Surely , they ( ginger / red head people ) were affected in some way by this Ginger - Phobia .

Let's organize a march for those " minority " people also .

GLM ( Ginger lives matter ).

Whatabout the whatabouterers - they matter.

The chants at the rallys this weekend were:

Black lives matter
    All lives matter

So, yeah, GLM brother.

There is no more similarity between racism and homophobia than there is between any other forms of bullying or mistreatment that exist in the world today.

These marches are just because it's the current trendy cause that will get likes of twitter not because it makes any difference.

Read your 1st sentence back to yourself, slowly...

You lay out exactly why these people can empathize with others in pain and why they know solidarity matters.
    Because sometimes knowing that you matter, that someone someone cares is the support for people to carry on a struggle against injustice.
    You lay out the reasons why that is important and then miss the point spectacularly!

It reminds me of this
    509ea3efb578d53d28c9ba457fa4f4f5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

BLM need to disassociate with the far left. They're being used as a battering ram against the establishment by people with little genuine concern for black interests.

Black lives matter
    All lives matter

Can they not make up their mind?

nj27 wrote: »
    BLM need to disassociate with the far left. They're being used as a battering ram against the establishment by people with little genuine concern for black interests.

It's not BLM as an organisation here in Ireland, its just local kids looking to make a difference to peoples lives, forget the american political element to BLM over there, these are just people hoping to live in a country where they don't have to explain to their kids why people keep calling them ****.

Can they not make up their mind?

Can you not make up your mind on the difference between the queue for pennies and a static protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

to be sure its nice to get back into active society after a 3 month lockdown

It's not BLM as an organisation here in Ireland, its just local kids looking to make a difference to peoples lives, forget the american political element to BLM over there, these are just people hoping to live in a country where they don't have to explain to their kids why people keep calling them ****.

This is precisely it.

Kids wanting to elicit local changes in attitude, kids who have encountered homophobia, racism and sometimes both.

Using the global movement around BLM to try and at least raise awareness locally and change a mind or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That is some half arsed argument I'll give you that.

Tell me this, what's the difference between this protest and the queue for pennies?

A Q for a shop can be effectively managed. A protest like this cannot 100%.

A Q for a shop does not have an emotive attachment that will cloud judgement and influence behaviors.

They are the two main things. I’m all for equality, protesting, lobbying, you name it. Letting your voice and opinions be heard, to influence and educate... but I’m loosing all empathy and respect for these and any and ALL fûckwits who choose this timing and this method to get their point across.

I agree with the message overall but how they have chosen to deliver it and when.. should win them fûck all friends.. they need a serious hot cup of cop on...

That said they probably achieved what they wanted from their little toys out of the pram escapade... people looking at them, talking about them, noticing their plight....

They probably consider themselves ‘brave’ and this is how it will be marketed... when the truth is that it’s just self serving, careless, belligerent and inward looking... nothing about them to be lauded or admired as a result of this..

Advertisement