Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick LGBTQ youth organise a BLM and Anti Racism Solidarity protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Strumms wrote: »
    A Q for a shop can be effectively managed. A protest like this cannot 100%.

A Q for a shop does not have an emotive attachment that will cloud judgement and influence behaviors.

They are the two main things. I’m all for equality, protesting, lobbying, you name it. Letting your voice and opinions be heard, to influence and educate... but I’m loosing all empathy and respect for these and any and ALL fûckwits who choose this timing and this method to get their point across.

I agree with the message overall but how they have chosen to deliver it and when.. should win them fûck all friends.. they need a serious hot cup of cop on...

That said they probably achieved what they wanted from their little toys out of the pram escapade... people looking at them, talking about them, noticing their plight....

They probably consider themselves ‘brave’ and this is how it will be marketed... when the truth is that it’s just self serving, careless, belligerent and inward looking... nothing about them to be lauded or admired as a result of this..

I am speaking on a factual basis from my direct experience, the queues for pennies were not and are still not being managed correctly, but the protest I saw was effectively socially distanced & vast vast majority were wearing masks. By your own logic we should not have these shops open.

I'm not arsed responding to any of the rest of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

banie01 wrote: »
    Read your 1st sentence back to yourself, slowly...

You lay out exactly why these people can empathize with others in pain and why they know solidarity matters.
    Because sometimes knowing that you matter, that someone someone cares is the support for people to carry on a struggle against injustice.
    You lay out the reasons why that is important and then miss the point spectacularly!

It reminds me of this

But solidarity makes no difference,there is no linkage between racism and homophobia they are 2 completely different things if there was some inherent link between the 2 causes then majority black countries would be a haven for Gay people and they certainly aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I am speaking on a factual basis from my direct experience, the queues for pennies were not and are still not being managed correctly, but the protest I saw was effectively socially distanced & vast vast majority were wearing masks. By your own logic we should not have these shops open.

I'm not arsed responding to any of the rest of that.

Well take it up with Pennys so.

As for the rest of your post, absolute self serving rubbish and lies...

A reminder...

You can:

meet up to 6 people indoors or outdoors for social gatherings, but keep at least 2 metres apart

attend medical appointments, collect medicine or other health products

exercise outdoors in groups of up to 15 people - within the county you live or 20 km of your home, as long as you can avoid contact, practice good respiratory hygiene, keep at least 2 metres apart and do not share equipment

visit outdoor spaces, playgrounds and tourism sites, within your own county or 20 km from your home, where you can keep at least 2 metres apart from other people.

People were not keeping 2 meters apart, in fact physical contact was being made.

People travelled to the demo from other counties.

Well take it up with Pennys so.

As for the rest of your post, absolute self serving rubbish and lies...

A reminder...

You can:

meet up to 6 people indoors or outdoors for social gatherings, but keep at least 2 metres apart

attend medical appointments, collect medicine or other health products

exercise outdoors in groups of up to 15 people - within the county you live or 20 km of your home, as long as you can avoid contact, practice good respiratory hygiene, keep at least 2 metres apart and do not share equipment

visit outdoor spaces, playgrounds and tourism sites, within your own county or 20 km from your home, where you can keep at least 2 metres apart from other people.

People were not keeping 2 meters apart, in fact physical contact was being made.

People travelled to the demo from other counties.

No, I am taking it up with you as you piped up.

The protest I saw at the weekend was garda sanctioned & supported, and 2m distancing was kept quite well as is the upcoming one so that argument is invalid.

Regarding people travelling from other counties I cannot comment as I can't say they did or didn't for sure.

Don't care what you think was self serving but what did I say that was lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No, I am taking it up with you as you piped up.

The protest I saw at the weekend was garda sanctioned & supported, and 2m distancing was kept quite well as is the upcoming one so that argument is invalid.

Regarding people travelling from other counties I cannot comment as I can't say they did or didn't for sure.

Don't care what you think was self serving but what did I say that was lies?

If you don’t care what I think ? Why are you actually repeatedly requesting my opinion and asking what I think ? You are somewhat of a contradictory character aren’t you, to put it politely !

‘Quite well’ just isn’t good enough.

People traveling from other counties ? They DID. Do a bit of research and educate yourself, an inconvenient truth.

I am unaware regarding Garda sanctioned but regardless of it being or not , I can’t find ANY evidence that it was sanctioned, it’s still careless and irresponsible, self serving...

• Advertisement

If you don’t care what I think ? Why are you actually repeatedly requesting my opinion and asking what I think ? You are somewhat of a contradictory character aren’t you, to put it politely !

‘Quite well’ just isn’t good enough.

People traveling from other counties ? They DID. Do a bit of research and educate yourself, an inconvenient truth.

I am unaware regarding Garda sanctioned but regardless of it being or not , I can’t find ANY evidence that it was sanctioned, it’s still careless and irresponsible, self serving...

Do a bit of research and educate yourself he says.

Im out.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

Calm down everyone. Let's say a decade of the Rosary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Will they march for this girl ?

https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1272667594298994688

Course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

statesaver wrote: »

It's a static protest not a march, to raise awareness of local racism and homophobia whilst trying to raise awareness for those oppressed because of Colour, Creed or Sexuality everywhere.

So at a push, I'm going to say yes.

It's a static protest not a march, to raise awareness of local racism and homophobia whilst trying to raise awareness for those oppressed because of Colour, Creed or Sexuality everywhere.

So at a push, I'm going to say yes.

I'm looking forward to the Muslim community speaking out in condemnation of the treatment of homosexuals in Muslim countries and then the Chinese community speaking out in condemnation of the treatment of blacks in China.

If it wasn't for the travel restrictions I'd go to Limerick just so I can show my support for those oppressed because of Colour, Creed or Sexuality everywhere.

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to the Muslim community speaking out in condemnation of the treatment of homosexuals in Muslim countries and then the Chinese community speaking out in condemnation of the treatment of blacks in China.

If it wasn't for the travel restrictions I'd go to Limerick just so I can show my support for those oppressed because of Colour, Creed or Sexuality everywhere.

I'm trying to see your point here other than it being whataboutery?

A group of kids are trying to use a hot button topic to raise awareness of local issues, racism and homophobia.
    But as they don't appear to be rounding up a representative of every oppressive regime to denounce all those specific oppressors?
    They should just not do anything?

Does change happen as a tidal wave? Or a step at a time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I know that our youth tend to be perceived in a poor light at the best of times but this short notice effort by a group of youths in Limerick really has given me a lot of hope for their future.

There has already been engagement with An Garda, the local LGBT and Immigrant support services, and a real effort to do this and do it right.

A group of 16/17 year old "kids" have even arranged a risk assessment and voluntary stewarding for this.

Look I'd be the first to say, American problem doesn't matter what happens here.
    It's virtue signalling and a whole pile of cop the fúck on to go with that.
    Then I listened to some Irish kids share their own stories. Be it the racism or homophobia they encounter on a regular basis, often from people of my age who should know better.

Change what we can, we can't make the world a better place without treating each other better to start with.

Let's make respect a virus, let's start with ourselves and make it an epidemic.

pbUnqtq

Good on you for making the point. Good on the lads arranging the event for encouraging attendees to social distance and act responsibly. There's plenty of begrudging old farts who'll leap at the chance to run them down though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

We've had a half Indian gay man as Taoiseach. Two female Presidents. The first country in the world to vote to legalise same sex marriage.

We have one of the fairest societies in the world.

I'm not sure what exactly the are protesting.

Direct provision perhaps? That would be fair enough I suppose but given the dearth of protests prior to the upset in America forgive me for thinking this is more virtue signalling nonsense so they can fill their Instagram feeds with photos and stories about how great they are.

The same crowd that were hysterical about Kony2012. Remember him. All but forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

White flag much? I think we’ve conceded enough ground for that sort of hippy rhetoric

I'm trying to see your point here other than it being whataboutery?

A group of kids are trying to use a hot button topic to raise awareness of local issues, racism and homophobia.
    But as they don't appear to be rounding up a representative of every oppressive regime to denounce all those specific oppressors?
    They should just not do anything?

Does change happen as a tidal wave? Or a step at a time?

So now it's local, you posted saying everywhere. Guess you don't care. Like I posted before white liberals are the real racists.

So now it's local, you posted saying everywhere. Guess you don't care. Like I posted before white liberals are the real racists.

Worldwide topic, local issues and solidarity with other people experiencing fear, isolation or oppression.

Is that clear enough for you?

If you'd care to expound your white liberal racist theory, I'm happy to read it.

Worldwide topic, local issues and solidarity with other people experiencing fear, isolation or oppression.

Is that clear enough for you?

If you'd care to expound your white liberal racist theory, I'm happy to read it.

Probably due to the fact that modern day white liberals seem to think that black people can't get along in life without whitey giving them a leg up and helping them along with favorable treatment,quotas and not challenging anything they claim.Which is all extremely patronizing and exactly how you would treat someone who you think is inferior to you rather than how you would treat someone who is equal to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Racism and homophobia have nothing to do with each other.

Some of the most homophobic countries in the world are where black people are the majority.

Its all based on irrational fears and hatred and discrimination so sorry but no.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Racism and homophobia have nothing to do with each other.

Some of the most homophobic countries in the world are where black people are the majority.

Basically what you are trying to say is you want LGBT people to be racist. Nah. You're alright thanks.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Basically what you are trying to say is you want LGBT people to be racist. Nah. You're alright thanks.

Yes that's exactly what I said there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Its all based on irrational fears and hatred and discrimination so sorry but no.

Did you only read the first section of the post you quoted?

Look at the attitude of Zambian president Edgar Lungu (I'm assuming you can search his name yourself for details)for a well know example of what the poster you quoted is talking about.

Being any particular skin colour doesn't make you incapable of being prejudiced against others.

Glazers Out!

But solidarity makes no difference,there is no linkage between racism and homophobia they are 2 completely different things if there was some inherent link between the 2 causes then majority black countries would be a haven for Gay people and they certainly aren't.

Of course there is a link. Prejudice, hate, discrimination.

Terry Pratchet

°°°°°

Ha ha brilliant.

You're joking right?

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    Ha ha brilliant.

You're joking right?

Nope. It happens quite a lot around here. I can easily predict some of the lines that will come out now.

Terry Pratchet

°°°°°

Of course there is a link. Prejudice, hate, discrimination.

People of all skin colours can be racist, xenophobic or homophobic etc...

I would have assumed this was self evident.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Handicaps

°°°°°

Nope. It happens quite a lot around here. I can easily predict some of the lines that will come out now.

You can easily predict what's coming but lack the competence to properly read and understand a post that is four lines of text in total?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

nullzero wrote: »
    Look at the attitude of Zambian president Edgar Lungu (I'm assuming you can search his name yourself for details)for a well know example of what the poster you quoted is talking about.

Michael Gerson perhaps another when he coined the 'soft bigotry of low expectations'

When are they organising a protest in support of the white farmers of South Africa? Or the poor people in Yemen? Or the refugees in Myanmar. Of course not. Those people aren't trendy enough. Virtue signalling at its finest this whole BLM stuff is..

Yup. Some horrific things going on in the world, slavery in Africa, human trafficking all over the world, FGM, civil wars on religious lines, a bloody virus destroying economies and lives.

But someone in Limerick has come up with an idea that will get them some spotlight. Racism is clearly moronic. A march isn't going to stop people being moronic.

Direct Provision is nasty. They should speed up the process. Allow genuine refugees asylum and deport economic migrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I know that our youth tend to be perceived in a poor light at the best of times but this short notice effort by a group of youths in Limerick really has given me a lot of hope for their future.

There has already been engagement with An Garda, the local LGBT and Immigrant support services, and a real effort to do this and do it right.

A group of 16/17 year old "kids" have even arranged a risk assessment and voluntary stewarding for this.

Look I'd be the first to say, American problem doesn't matter what happens here.
    It's virtue signalling and a whole pile of cop the fúck on to go with that.
    Then I listened to some Irish kids share their own stories. Be it the racism or homophobia they encounter on a regular basis, often from people of my age who should know better.

Change what we can, we can't make the world a better place without treating each other better to start with.

Let's make respect a virus, let's start with ourselves and make it an epidemic.

pbUnqtq

You are aware how LGBT people are treated in largely black countries yeah?

Advertisement