Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Strimmer making smoke - why?

Options
  • 16-06-2020 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I have a Featherlite Weedeater petrol strimmer.
    It recently stopped working and I fixed it by replacing the broken fuel pipes.
    The strimmer now works fine but produces a lot of blue smoke.
    Any suggestions as to the possible causes of this?
    MOTF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Sounds like your oil to petrol mix is too high 50 or 40 to 1 is usually right for a strimmers , sounds like you mixed 40 or 50 oil to petrol which will have the fire brigade calling to you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could be oil type and ratio of oil to petrol as stated above.
    Also it could just need a really good hard run with plenty of load to clear it out.
    Mix fresh fuel with good quality two stroke oil at a ratio of 125ml of oil to 5 litres of fuel.
    Thoroughly mix it and shake it well.
    Then run the strimmer hard, wide open throttle in grass, not free revving.
    See if that helps, there could be a lot of old oil in the crankcase being pulled up and burning off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Oil to petrol mix wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Also check the inside of the exhaust box and outlet from the top of the cylinder.

Sometimes too much oil produces a build of of black oily carbony gunk inside the exhaust an outlet, because this reduces the outlet it also makes the smoke worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭manofthefora

OK, thanks to everyone for that.
    I was afraid it would be some carb adjustment, beyond my pay grade.
    I think the mix I used was originally correct but it had been lying in a can for over a year and also maybe wasn't well shaken.
    I'll do a fresh mix and give it a blast to clear away any residue.
    Will also check the exhaust is clear.
    Much appreciated
    MOTF

• Advertisement
Advertisement