Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to replace windows on an old house, recommendations?

• 16-06-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I've been doing my research and seen several bad reviews of both Munster joinery and Costello Windows, what other alternatives is there and who would you recommend? These windows are dire at the moment and the job needs to be great because we're only doing this once. Located in Limerick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

How old is the house and what type are the existing windows? Are they original to the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

How old is the house and what type are the existing windows? Are they original to the house?

Over 100 years old, they're single glazed windows and have been here for way longer than i have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Despite appearances these can be valuable. Are they metal or timber?

If timber, historic timber windows use wood that is slower grown than that used in modern windows and has more heartwood, giving them excellent durability. The bottom transom no doubt has rotted as this gets most of the weather. This can be replaced. The entire window can be repaired and have nylon or brush seals fitted to reduce air and sound leakage. Depending on the section size & profile you may be able to fit double glazing. However if they have original glass this too is valuable. You can fit secondary glazing to allow this to be retained.

They will look like new, only better and you can do this for less than the price of new decent windows. You just need to use the right people who know the business.

Just think about it, do some research and get a repair quote from someone who knows what they're doing (I can't overemphasise this) Please don't put them on a skip without knowing the facts and options available.

If the house is a protected structure you will need planning permission for any works to the windows.

Without seeing them I can't form a full appraisal and they may be beyond repair, but hopefully this is of some benefit.

Advertisement