Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need technical advice. [EIR]

• 16-06-2020 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello everyone, I made an account just to ask a couple of questions.

I'll spare you most of the read and just jump straight into the problem.

My mother decided to sign up for Eir, a 100mb/s fibre optic bundle.
    However they're having issues at home, the internet keeps falling out in gaps of an hour sometimes half an hour. It's annoying to say the least. I decided to do some digging, checked in with the logs. I am met with this constant error/debug.

2020-06-16 21:28:53 System Notice WAN connection VDSL WAN-1:IPv6 disconnected.(ERROR_NO_CARRIER)

2020-06-16 21:28:51 System Notice WAN connection VDSL WAN-1:IPv4 disconnected.(ERROR_NO_CARRIER)

2020-06-16 21:28:51 System Notice DSL connection is deactivated.

Sorry I can't post images.

So after reading these messages I gave a call in to speak with an agent. The agent insisted that the fault may be in a DSL cable. However I think the problem is in the fact that we do not own a router. We only have a modem(F2000 modem). There are over 7 devices in the house, 5 of them constantly on. The internet speed is awful, 2mb/s of download at best. Nowhere near the promised speeds. Will bridging my current modem and getting a router solve my problems? Are routers even compatible with the current modem I have ? I'm inexperienced when it gets to this topic. So I apologize if any of the questions sound stupid/redundant.

Thank you in advance guys. If there's any more information I need to provide, feel free to ask.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The F2000 provides you with all the routing capabilities you need.

Your problem lies with Eir.

It could be the F2000 itself or one of the connections between it and the local cabinet. The agent may in fact be correct. Get them to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't try to tell the agent they're wrong when the opposite is entirely true. Itll just piss them off and you'll likely get less help.

Its int sync, do whatever troubleshooting they ask and then theyll send a tech if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jsz1999

Don't get me wrong, I never argued with the agent. The cable is already ordered. So far this was only a theory/brainstorming while I wait for the cable.

Update: new DSL didn't fix the issue, neither did a new modem.

jsz1999 wrote: »
    Update: new DSL didn't fix the issue, neither did a new modem.

Is the DSL connection being made at the point of entry of your line into the house? Are there other internal lines connected to that point for phone connections?

If you've only one point, and the F2000 and cable change did no good, it's looking like the problem is with actual line itself or the cabinet connection. Either way, it's a provider problem.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Is the DSL connection being made at the point of entry of your line into the house? Are there other internal lines connected to that point for phone connections?

If you've only one point, and the F2000 and cable change did no good, it's looking like the problem is with actual line itself or the cabinet connection. Either way, it's a provider problem.

Hey Tom, it's hooked up to a cabinet aprox 40 meters apart from my house. You're right, just got to call in and hope for the best, otherwise I'll have to change provider. I've never really had a problem with them up until now, hopefully all goes smoothly. If it comes to worst do you have a specific provider in mind that is reliable? Thank you.

jsz1999 wrote: »
    Hey Tom, it's hooked up to a cabinet aprox 40 meters apart from my house. You're right, just got to call in and hope for the best, otherwise I'll have to change provider. I've never really had a problem with them up until now, hopefully all goes smoothly. If it comes to worst do you have a specific provider in mind that is reliable? Thank you.

It doesn't look like it's a provider issue. No matter who you choose, they're all going to use the same physical link from your house via that cabinet to the local exchange. So, if there's an issue, for example in how your line is connected inside the cabinet, that issue will remain regardless of whether you are with Eir, Pure, Vodafone or whomever. Keep complaining to Eir, and keep records in case you have to escalate.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    It doesn't look like it's a provider issue. No matter who you choose, they're all going to use the same physical link from your house via that cabinet to the local exchange. So, if there's an issue, for example in how your line is connected inside the cabinet, that issue will remain regardless of whether you are with Eir, Pure, Vodafone or whomever. Keep complaining to Eir, and keep records in case you have to escalate.

Thank you Tom, called up today. They ran some tests and were getting low speeds/errors from the cabinet. I should have my net back up and running by Wednesday. Appreciate all the replies and advice.

Advertisement