Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheds

• 16-06-2020 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

Looking at getting a Steeltech shed but wondering is there anyone else around that do similar? Steeltech prices can be pricey enough so want to see what's out there

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Dromkeen Steel Sheds
    Pallasgreen.
    087 2473476.
    This appears to be the only other manufacturer and supplier in Limerick, apart from Steeltech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Shanette also do a similar range of sheds no local show rooms tho afaik.
    If it's just a shed rather than a garden Room type, give the lads in the farming and forestry forum a shout.

That said, I have a Steeltech as a garden Room and utility and was happy with the cost and delighted with the performance 3 years in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Cheers folks for the advice, tis just a garden shed we're arter - 3m X 2m. Will suss out the other place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

My boss man sent me on the search for sheds recently

He ended up going with Heiton Buckleys.

There’s also a shed place in Charleville worth pricing.

Steel tech are very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I was in a similar situation to yourself a few years back. I really liked the look of the Steeltech but just couldn't justify
    the price for what was essentially going to be a storage area for a lawnmower and a few bikes.

For a finish I went with a Keter plastic shed from Argos. Think at the time it was around 800e.
    It's still standing and in really good nick after almost 7 years.
    Almost zero maintenance with a once yearly power wash on the side to wash off the moss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

We got our steel shed from Clane Steel Garden Sheds after we saw them at a garden show in Dublin. They deliver/erect nationwide but for the life of me can't remember how much we paid for it. We've had it over 10 years now and it's still going strong. Tel. 045 892 559.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭johng906

I picked up a 7 x 13 ft shed from the place near charleville three years ago, going strong.

Important to look at a bunch of prices for what you need, but also the material / doors etc. A lot of variation between places.

Pick what combination works best for your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

See attached for some guidance

https://www.steeltechsheds.ie/concrete-bases/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

L-M wrote: »
    My boss man sent me on the search for sheds recently

He ended up going with Heiton Buckleys.

There’s also a shed place in Charleville worth pricing.

Steel tech are very expensive

That the place opposite the LIDL hub?

Steeltech are a premier rip off. Would only go to them if there was no other option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Dromkeen steel Sheds are very good and cheaper than steeltech sheds. Woodies do fine insulated ones too but are expensive. Don't get the cheaper ones ,they are very light and not insulated so damp and cold in the winter and like a furnace in summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm wondering if the OP went with Dromkeen sheds?
    As I've seen them dropping one off this morning and if it's the OP, we are almost neighbours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

My neighbour got one from charleville. The finish is poor around doors and windows and rainwater soaked in where its attached to the slab. No dpc installed and they put silicone all around the base outside. The steeltech method of putting in the floor looks a better job but they are expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I priced a few of these places for a 3m x 3m steel garden shed. Dromkeen want €2k while O'Riordan's in Charleville want €1950, both for a basic steel shed, nothing fancy. The concrete foundation is around another €800 on top of that from them. I know people here say SteelTechsheds are not cheap but looking at their prices online they are coming in at around the same as above. No idea how different the quality or craftsmanship would be all of them though.

I'm going to price getting a concrete block shed built instead and if I can get one built for not alot more than those prices then I think it's a better and more permanent solution.

For anyone interested I go the below recommendation. They are based in Offaly but cover most of the country:

http://www.candssheds.ie/

I rang them and the chap was very helpful and knowledgeable. Your looking at a lead time of 7 or 8 weeks though to have it installed if that's a problem for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

+1 for C&S Sheds.
    The Son bought a 20' X 12'6" Garage from them earlier this year. About €1K cheaper than anybody else for similar quality !!!
    Also they were the most helpful Crowd on the initial phone call, and were more than happy to make a few adjustments to suit his needs.

I understand the OP is asking about a smaller shed, but C&S seem to be coming in at around 30% cheaper than the rest in that range also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Just browsing for info about sheds here folks. I am thinking of a workshop so insulation in the winter is essential. Has anyone any experience of this. ? What is a reasonable thickness of Kingspan as offered by Steeltech and is it expensive.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

We were looking for 4m x 5m with double doors, prices ranged from €4,150, €3,800 and €2,650. Visited all 3 places, ended up going with c&s sheds tullamore who were the cheapest. 12 week waiting though, but that's ok with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

We were looking for 4m x 5m with double doors, prices ranged from €4,150, €3,800 and €2,650. Visited all 3 places, ended up going with c&s sheds tullamore who were the cheapest. 12 week waiting though, but that's ok with us.

Did you get insulation ? How were C&s to deal with ?

I ordered from C&S Sheds too a few weeks back but as said there is a fairly lengthy waiting time due to their Covid-19 backlog but most places will be the same. They were recommended by a friend who's shed is up about 5 years without any issue. I found them very helpful when ordering but I didn't go with insulation as it's only being used to store garden things rather than be used as a home office or kids playroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

recipio wrote: »
    Did you get insulation ? How were C&s to deal with ?

We didn't get insulation either as it's only going to be used for extra storage. Found them very easy to deal with, no messing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

My son wants a small gym so was looking at steel sheds as an option. Would a concrete base be necessary for all sheds? I was looking at around 2 x 4m as a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Barney224 wrote: »
    My son wants a small gym so was looking at steel sheds as an option. Would a concrete base be necessary for all sheds? I was looking at around 2 x 4m as a minimum.

You need two concrete pours, the base first, the shed is overlayed onto it and then you've to pour another inside the shed usually as a screed to have a floor. A cold gym in the winter and a sauna in the summer though.

Berty wrote: »
    You need two concrete pours, the base first, the shed is overlayed onto it and then you've to pour another inside the shed usually as a screed to have a floor. A cold gym in the winter and a sauna in the summer though.

OK thanks. I thought most sheds came with a floor? I don't think he minds about the cold in winter, so not a problem. I'll eventually use it for storage, if and when he moves out!

Do any of these shed companies offer to put to put the base in? I'm not very good at these DIY projects, so would need someone to do this for me. How much would this typically cost?

According to theshedcompany.ie, their sheds come with a self supporting timber floor as standard which sits into the base of the shed. The Shed sits on concrete blocks, and therefore does not require a concrete base.

Is this normal? Or would I still be better off with a concrete base?

Also, is there any main benefits to getting insulation to a shed? Will it last longer?

Advertisement