Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plumbing help

• 16-06-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭

Was going to tighten up a tap and took the back shelf under the sink off to discover a leak in one of the pipes going to either dishwasher or washing machine.
    I've stopped the quick flow drip by turning the lever off on the pipe (cold) so it's only a small drip but there's blue powder all over the pipe and where the drip is.
    Anybody any ideas how to stop the drip as it's very tight to get to plastic nut and what the blue stuff is?
    I'll try to get done pictures up now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Was going to tighten up a tap and took the back shelf under the sink off to discover a leak in one of the pipes going to either dishwasher or washing machine.
    I've stopped the quick flow drip by turning the lever off on the pipe (cold) so it's only a small drip but there's blue powder all over the pipe and where the drip is.
    Anybody any ideas how to stop the drip as it's very tight to get to plastic nut and what the blue stuff is?
    I'll try to get done pictures up now.

So it will need plumber tape or sealant.
    The blue is the reaction with the copper and nothing to be worried about but obviously the leak could be if it were left.

You will have to remove the nut or connection to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Guess it's been leaking for a while then?

poPhFHvFj

My original question:
    pmxs82Cvj

Was going to tighten the kitchen tap but looking at it, the single screw and nut seem to be rusted pretty badly.
    Couldn't get a tap spanner to move it mainly because the screw seems to be same size or slightly bigger so couldn't get any grip on the nut.
    Tried using an open wrench but too tight a space and then it fell down between the sink and dishwasher and I've just spent 2 hours extracting it. :mad:
    Could I put just out a new screw bolt & fitting nut in the empty hole or do I have any other choices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That looks like someone took a heat gun to the plastic tap at the rear and melted it.

It could also be just sealant gunk absolutely poorly installed.

It's a joke mess. I'd replace it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

The tap might be loose because it only has one screw. You get two when you get a replacement tap or a replacement clamping kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/REPLACEMENT-MONOBLOC-BASIN-MIXER-BRACKET/dp/B075HP5MF8/

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    That looks like someone took a heat gun to the plastic tap at the rear and melted it.

It could also be just sealant gunk absolutely poorly installed.

It's a joke mess. I'd replace it all.

When I win the Lotto, that will be one of the first things on my to do list but until then, it will just have to stay as is unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I don't think you have anything to loose by taking a pair of mole grips to that screw. Inside the brass tap it probably isn't as rusted and if you snap it off you still have the other screw thread that you can use.

However if you just want to tighten up the tap then putting the second screw in will probably do the job for you.

Advertisement