Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF lied before the last election why trust them now?

Options
  • 17-06-2020 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭

Before the last election, FF said they would not go into government with FG. FF lied to the people who voted for them, so can you trust them now? How do we know they are not lying again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The votes of the people decided otherwise. FG and FF are compatible, neither are with SF. That was made clear the whole campaign.

The winners of the election are those that can get 81+ TDs to vote for their man or woman to be Taoiseach. Everything else is just campaigning and politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't think a statement about future action that you will or won't take becomes a "lie" if you subsequently act differently to they way you said you would. It would only be a lie if, at the time FF said they would not go into government with Fine Gael, they already intended to go into government with Fine Gael. If they didn't intend to go into government with FG, but subseuently changed their minds, what you have is, at worst, a broken promise, not a lie.

If you take the view that this is a broken promise, can you be sure that FF won't break other promises? No, of course you can't. You can't be sure that any political party, or any politician, won't break promises.

Should politicians break promises? Perhaps not. But maybe the bigger issue is whether they should be making promises of this kind in the first place. Decisions about the formation of a government are, of their nature, decisions that can only be made with full information and all the relevant facts after an election. To make the decision beforehand is to make the decision in a state of partial ignorance; why would we think it's a good idea for politicians to make decisions in a condition of ignorance, or to hold them to those decisions once the facts are known?

Perhaps the real reason you shouldn't vote for Fianna Fail is not that they break promises they have made, but that they make promises that they shouldn't make in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Before the last election, FF said they would not go into government with FG. FF lied to the people who voted for them, so can you trust them now? How do we know they are not lying again?

How could anybody trust FF when Martin is still their leader? Rubbish leader = rubbish party statements and rubbish party actions.

No point fighting a past election.

Journalists will continue, pre-election, to ask politicians 'will you go into government with...'

Politicians will continue to give the answer most likely to get them votes in the upcoming election.

No party that has gone into government has not broken pre-election promises. No party yet to go into government (I.e. SF) would act differently. To think otherwise is to not understand politics/human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

"Political Party Make Pre-Election Promise U-turn Shocker" will never be a headline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I don't think a statement about future action that you will or won't take becomes a "lie" if you subsequently act differently to they way you said you would. It would only be a lie if, at the time FF said they would not go into government with Fine Gael, they already intended to go into government with Fine Gael. If they didn't intend to go into government with FG, but subseuently changed their minds, what you have is, at worst, a broken promise, not a lie.

If you take the view that this is a broken promise, can you be sure that FF won't break other promises? No, of course you can't. You can't be sure that any political party, or any politician, won't break promises.

Should politicians break promises? Perhaps not. But maybe the bigger issue is whether they should be making promises of this kind in the first place. Decisions about the formation of a government are, of their nature, decisions that can only be made with full information and all the relevant facts after an election. To make the decision beforehand is to make the decision in a state of partial ignorance; why would we think it's a good idea for politicians to make decisions in a condition of ignorance, or to hold them to those decisions once the facts are known?

Perhaps the real reason you shouldn't vote for Fianna Fail is not that they break promises they have made, but that they make promises that they shouldn't make in the first place?

Michael Martin did state he would not go into government with FG and I don't know any FF supporter who would go into government with FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Michael Martin did state he would not go into government with FG and I don't know any FF supporter who would go into government with FG.

Some FFers I know are in favour, see it as in the national interest. I'd be surprised if they rejected the PfG. It's the usual suspects so far campaigning against it. It also means FF get back into power, that's quite an attraction for them, too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Yeh but but but Sinn Fein done this, done that, then done this again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

FF have never told the truth and never will.

Yeh but but but Sinn Fein done this, done that, then done this again.

In fairness the 'done that' includes the likes of support for the Warrington bombings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

FF are lying again, you shouldn't trust them, neither should you trust FG and especially not SF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

all politicians lie.

if they told the truth they would never be re-elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

But sure isnt that what you do at election time?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The FF supporters you know may turn out not to be representative. We'll see how the ballot goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Given the alternative is going into government with SF, I think most FF supporters would view FG as the lesser evil.

FG siad putting FF back in....would be same as john delaney being put over FAI

So yanno.....our main political parties are just making dopes of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Unlike SF who claimed that they were going to form a coalition of change. How is that going for them? Did Mary Lou ever get replies to the letters she sent to FF and FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

And yet 22% of the electorate didn't agree.

Unlike SF who claimed that they were going to form a coalition of change. How is that going for them? Did Mary Lou ever get replies to the letters she sent to FF and FG?

No where did i say SF werent lying??

But how those 2 can look people in the eye, and campaign on pretending to be opposition,while planning to go back in with each other every time,is beyond me

Time to pull the plug and vote independant only in future

Advertisement