Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freeview on a TV

• 17-06-2020 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

My inlaws bought a new TV and want to use free view. Now they originally have a set top box for free view and connect that via hdmi to the old TV. This TV has a Freeview digital tuner built in. Now we plug the antenna from the set top box into the back of the TV and it does not show up.
    Am I missing something here? Their old set top box is like 360p and they have a 4k tv (ENVY) so as you can imagine it looks dire. They have an antenna for it, for years and it works fine through the set top but not through the TV. Is there an adapter or something?

TV: Hitachi 55 Inch 55HL7000U Smart 4K HDR LED TV
    Freeview Play digital tuner.
    Freeview Play (UK) and Saorview (ROI).

They can get the saorview working grand on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 soccermad1

My inlaws bought a new TV and want to use free view. Now they originally have a set top box for free view and connect that via hdmi to the old TV. This TV has a Freeview digital tuner built in. Now we plug the antenna from the set top box into the back of the TV and it does not show up.
    Am I missing something here? Their old set top box is like 360p and they have a 4k tv (ENVY) so as you can imagine it looks dire. They have an antenna for it, for years and it works fine through the set top but not through the TV. Is there an adapter or something?

Freeview is only in UK.. I think you mean freesat as in all the BBC itv channels.. Your TV needs a freesat tuner.. I have one. Freesat tuner and Freeview tuner are 2 different things

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gmac40

Try connecting Aerial too Set top box..then connect to back of TV.
    I have a similar box connected this way to record Live TV.Just connect HDMI from box to TV
    Freeview is UK but with most TV,s now they have two tuners that allow for Soarview channels.
    Try the above and see if that helps.
    Cheers

Because saorview is the Irish freeview.

Freeview is the UK antenna channels. You also won't get the French, Spanish or German free channels without being in those countries.

FreeSAT you can get in Ireland using an old sky dish and a receiver if the TV has a satellite recieved built in which it doesn't look like this tv has I'm afraid.

Bring it back and get one like this:

https://powercity.ie/product/220203

I have the older model, it's fine for saorview and freesat together but the smart aspect is **** and I don't bother using it. Might be better in this one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

OP needs to clarify whether they have satellite dish or just an aerial and what model of set top box was used.

If the set top box has an aerial feed and one or more satellite feeds then those feeds need to be plugged in to the TV...assuming the TV has a satellite tuner as well as a terrestrial tuner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

OP could also be close to the border and legitimately be picking up both Saorview and Freeview signals. Am I going mad, or does a freeview scan pick up saorview too (throws them into the 800s) but a saorview scan won't pick up freeview? So maybe change the location settings first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP never said anything about satellite, just that he moved the 'antenna' from the STB to the TV. I'd simply assume that he has an aerial and whether he's confused about Freeview and Saorview doesn't really matter. If he's getting Freeview on his current aerial, he will get the same Freeview channels on his new TV.

Maybe all he needs to do is tune the TV?

OP, it would help everyone if you clarified....

1. Do they have an aerial, a satellite dish or both?

2. What channel set are they getting via the set top box and the old TV at the moment - Irish (Saorview) only, Irish and UK, UK only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bring it back and get one like this:

https://powercity.ie/product/220203

As if you can just go back and ask for a different model. :rolleyes:

Why would the store agree to that exchange?

coylemj wrote: »

Because plenty offer a no quibble return service.

Even more will exchange for any reason, within 28 days.

Anything else constructive to say?

coylemj wrote: »

Because plenty offer a no quibble return service.

Even more will exchange for any reason, within 28 days.

Anything else constructive to say?

Advertisement