Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

we changed our minds

Options
  • 17-06-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

We had very good honest tenant and we have done him wrong
    We decided we wanted to live in the apt we were renting to our tenant and because he was a long term tenant we had to give him 6 months to move out. Whilst we were waiting for him to move out we purchased another apt to live in. Our intention was to wait the six months then move to the apt our tenant was moving out of and rent out the new apt. Our tenant has now moved out of the apt and we moved into said apt. However, we don't like it as much as we liked the temporary apt. We want to move back into the temporary apt and we are willing to offer back our first apt to the Tenant. However with deposit removals and rent paid in advance we have caused our tenant some expenses. Would we be required to compensate him for the expenses we cause him. Also if/when he moves back into our apt on a new lease will he still have the long term tenant rights

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You could offer it to him but he is obvuiously living somewhere else now and he may not want to or be able to return.

If I was then tenant I would be saying to myself "what kind of messing are this pair at? The don't know if they're coming or going! If I move back in, whats to stop them changing their mind a third time and asking me to move again? Feck that."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

we are willing to offer back our first apt to the Tenant.

Admirable.
    However with deposit removals and rent paid in advance we have caused our tenant some expenses. Would we be required to compensate him for the expenses we cause him.

No. You acted legally with good faith and intent. You are complying with your legal requirements but this is for the benefit of the tenant.
    Also if/when he moves back into our apt on a new lease will he still have the long term tenant rights

That's a great question.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ning sudnaen

A long time ago i issued an order to vacate which should resulted in tenant vacating in June but by way of the pause and other extensions it would seem he will be able to stay there until October, but I doubt if he will willingly move out then, so a court order will be required.
    The original cause of the vacate order was because we need the apt to live in, and i understand normally if we decided to move out within 2 years we have to let the tenant move back in at the rent he was paying before. However, if the tenant has to be forced out of the apt by way of court order, then do we still have to relet the apt to him if we move out within 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I dont know the answer.

Is he paying the rent? Disruptive? Or do you think he is just getting a good deal in a good area and would like to stay?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ning sudnaen

JJJackal wrote: »
    I dont know the answer.

Is he paying the rent? Disruptive? Or do you think he is just getting a good deal in a good area and would like to stay?

I do not understand your answer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So what is the situation? In your first post the tenant had moved out of your original apartment and you had moved in but changed your mind. Is this latest tenant you gave notice to in the new apartment you bought?

If someone is evicted on the basis that the landlord is moving in, isn't there a legal obligation to offer first refusal to that tenant if you then put the property back for rental?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

First Rule: Never get rid of a good tenant! there are so few out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Off the place to him. That's if. If he accepts or not it will be up to him. Don't pay him for expenses etc that's not your issue. You followered the law .

• Advertisement
Advertisement