Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible attempt at fraud on my bank account

• 17-06-2020 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I have a bank of Ireland account and i received a text along the lines of that a new payee was been added to my account and the code was xxx. the text also said that if i though the text was incorrect to call such a number. Called the number on my card and BOI had indeed sent the text and they immediately locked the account. spoke to them again this morning and they are sending out new login codes for me. it is obvious that some one had access to my login and pin code. The person on the phone wont tell me what account details were input that were to be authorised. Are they obliged to tell me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

duffysfarm wrote: »
    The person on the phone wont tell me what account details were input that were to be authorised. Are they obliged to tell me?

You know the details that the BoI logon screen asks for - why does it matter to you if the person was able to supply the first, third and sixth or the second, third and fifth digit from the PIN?

I'd be more concerned about how they obtained the login details in the first place. Which is down to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

sorry i think you misread my post or i wasnt clear in what i was asking. the BOI person wont tell me what account details the person was trying to set up i.e. whos bank account details were they inputting to transfer money to. i am now wondering how the person got my details and if i was able to identify the person then i would have an idea how they got my login details

coylemj wrote: »
    You know the details that the BoI logon screen asks for - why does it matter to you if the person was able to supply the first, third and sixth or the second, third and fifth digit from the PIN?

I'd be more concerned about how they obtained the login details in the first place. Which is down to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sorry i think you misread my post or i wasnt clear in what i was asking.

My fault, you did say they 'wont tell me what account details were input that were to be authorised'

It's probably the bank's policy but the target account is probably one that was setup with fake ID and tracking down the people involved will be nigh impossible. And in any event, that account would have simply been used to receive your money, which would then have been forwarded to another untraceable account.

Even if they gave you the info and it pointed to a bank account in Malaga, what would you do with the information? Or do you suspect a family member is behind it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

sorry i think you misread my post or i wasnt clear in what i was asking. the BOI person wont tell me what account details the person was trying to set up i.e. whos bank account details were they inputting to transfer money to. i am now wondering how the person got my details and if i was able to identify the person then i would have an idea how they got my login details

It does not work like that. The person you spoke to will not have access to those kinds of details nor will pretty much anyone in the call centre. So they would not be in a position to give you the information even if they wanted to. Report the matter to the Garda and then it is up to them and the bank's security staff.

Advertisement