Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to register for VAT for book publishing service?

Options
  • 17-06-2020 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Sorry for the newbie question. I have a chance to work with a local business to create a book on Amazon. They want the books to be printed and delivered from Amazon UK and I'll add a fee on top of the cost.
    Do I need to pay VAT on this?
    Thanks,
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the business case/business case is not clear.
    Why would someone pay you a fee for?

Anyway what is the expected turn over?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bearaman

The fee would cover my converting a word doc to a format that Amazon could then print, book interior design, book cover design. Amazon would then print and deliver the books to the client from the UK.
    I'm only starting out so annual turnover would be very low - less than 5k and that would be a good year.

If the business grows and you have to charge VAT, then your price would go up by 23%. The local business will be registered for VAT anyway so I would just register now, IIRC you can file the VAT returns less frequently if the amounts are small.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/accounting-for-vat/how-to-account-for-value-added-tax/when-vat-becomes-payable.aspx
    Create an account in ROS and ally for a VAT number

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bearaman

Thanks for the reply. So because of the low turnover, I'm below the VAT threshold but you recommend I should register anyway. Is that right?
    J.

bearaman wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. So because of the low turnover, I'm below the VAT threshold but you recommend I should register anyway. Is that right?
    J.
    Yes, assuming u can do your own VAT returns, might be worth getting small accounting package, I bought one and its great, just spits it out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement