Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories from the Celtic Tiger Years *Mod Warning in OP PLEASE READ*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The pubs were busy even midweek, lots of builders would go for one or two after work and still be there at 10pm. I remember Dublin city centre was busy any night of the week too. A Tuesday or Wednesday night would be about 70% as busy as a Friday or Saturday night. iirc the Nitelink used to run till 3am from Wednesday through to Sundays so everyone could get home.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Belfast sinks were a thing. I don't what the history or connection to Belfast is but they were popular

Check out the depth, my poor hunched back is aching at just the sight of it. :(

Belfast sinks are awful yolks, they are way too big and deep and need lots of water to even get them half full. A friend in a Tiger built apartment got landed with one and hates it. Very easy to smash glasses in them too if you are not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

'Belfast sinks' were for homes in the country. The sink was almost always outside and was used to wash anything. Washing boots, wellies and dogs. Dosing lambs, cleaning off spuds, turnips, and other veg. You name it, you can use a big sink for it. Didn't have a U-bend either as they blocked. There would be a straight pipe going down to a 'shore' or 'gully' underneath the sink, which was hole dug in the ground and filled with rock.

Our one was beside a huge barrel that was connected to the drainpipe off the roof. The sink was cleaned after a previous use, then a plug put in. The sink gradually filled from rainwater, if you needed more water, you got a bucketful out of the barrel at the drainpipe. In winter you left one of those rubber footballs in it to help stop ice forming.

More recently it became cheaper to make them from concrete and tile the inside with old tile cuttings.

They have no place or function in the kitchen of a modern city house other than design, and even then just get a nice, small one. If you need a proper one, put it outside in the garden where it can be used properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Belfast sinks are awful yolks, they are way too big and deep and need lots of water to even get them half full. A friend in a Tiger built apartment got landed with one and hates it. Very easy to smash glasses in them too if you are not careful.

He could just put a basin in it....

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Glebee

Cooking any sort of meal that included Asparagus..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Jager bombs. What a scam. A drink to get to drunk and red bull to keep you wired and drinking. A licence to print money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭pgj2015

cj maxx wrote: »
    Jager bombs. What a scam. A drink to get to drunk and red bull to keep up wired and drinking. A licence to print money

whereas other drinks make you sober. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Jager bombs. What a scam. A drink to get to drunk and red bull to keep up wired and drinking. A licence to print money

They were like stepping on the brake and the accelerator at the same time. The hangovers were even worse - 7am, absolutely exhausted, wide awake and heart going 90 miles an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Jager bombs. What a scam. A drink to get to drunk and red bull to keep you wired and drinking. A licence to print money

Or the vodka and red bull. Usually a double shot.
    You'd need to be sh*tting money to pay for a night out on those.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

one day "James Joyce" walked in the door - not the real one of course but one of the "statue" lads that stands on Grafton street.

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

When I read it first, I assumed it was some lad dressed up for Bloomsday, so, thanks indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

I assumed it was the writer! He didn't even make €900 in his lifetime. he died penniless, blind with a big horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I remember coming into a pub during the Celtic Tiger area. As I was at the counter guy walked away from the counter with three vodkas with Red Bull. I ordered a pint of Guinness. I sat at the bar and waited. When the barman came back a few minutes later with my pint, one of the group comes up for another round of vodkas and Red Bull. I said to the guy beside me, "it didn't take long for them to drink those". His reply was "that has been going on at the same pace for the last 2 hours".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

Or the vodka and red bull. Usually a double shot.
    You'd need to be sh*tting money to pay for a night out on those.

I started going out a lot during peak recession. Nightclubs were at war and the double vodka/red bull was a major battle point.

It got to the point where a double vodka/red-bull was €4.50 in the place we went to most.

I recall ATMs that only gave out €50.00 notes. No problem sure I'll have 3 and that should see me through a good standard Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

I recall ATMs that only gave out €50.00 notes. No problem sure I'll have 3 and that should see me through a good standard Saturday night.

I remember when ATMs (that like you said only spat out 50s) appeared in night clubs. Ah those were the days.

I remember living in Dublin 2003/2004 at the height of it (great times) and I recall one night being a right obnoxious prick in a strip club...:o

Already tanked up we hit a stripclub on Dame Street myself and buddy. Cash was no problem- not even a concern.

Two (I think Czech) dancers said they did not do couple/joint dances. Being a proper lout I demanded it and I said something along the line of "I can buy and sell you" and waved wad of €50.00s at them and demanded they dance together and touch other and kissed. I also told them I was personal friends with the owner (total BS) so they better obliged.

I recall them just looking at each other and fully expected them to walk off. Even though I was drunk I knew I was being a real dick. They didnt walk off and proceeded to do as I had requested.

I actually blacked/passed out half through to open my eyes to see them making a half arsed attempt to kiss each other and I just barked at them to get on with it.

No idea how I got away with that but yeah I was a being a prick...:o

I may well have been influenced by "American Psyhco" which was popular at the time. I actually had a g/f who said that since I had moved to Dublin I definitely changed into an arrogant bastard. I loved it- didnt give a **** as she was in Cork and I was shagging all around me. Kicked her to touch when she was boring me.

Ahhh....good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

€150 would see you through a Saturday night? :confused:

That'd be a quiet night during the Tiger and would hardly get you in the door of a strip club.
    " and waved wad of €50.00 at them and demanded they dance together and touch other and kissed.

€150 is a fairly small wad.

Are you telling porkies?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    €150 would see you through a Saturday night? :confused:

That'd be a quiet night during the Tiger and would hardly get you in the door of a strip club.

€150 is a fairly small wad.

Are you telling porkies?

Hold on. You are mixing up two completely unrelated posts.

ps- Wad of €50.00s in the plural I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I assumed it was the writer! He didn't even make €900 in his lifetime. he died penniless, blind with a big horn.

and a feint smell of shíte up his nose, none of this coke malarkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

I remember coming into a pub during the Celtic Tiger area. As I was at the counter guy walked away from the counter with three vodkas with Red Bull. I ordered a pint of Guinness. I sat at the bar and waited. When the barman came back a few minutes later with my pint, one of the group comes up for another round of vodkas and Red Bull. I said to the guy beside me, "it didn't take long for them to drink those". His reply was "that has been going on at the same pace for the last 2 hours".

Reminds me of the movie "Back to School " where Dangerfield tells the barman to bring over a pitcher of beer to the table every 10 minutes until they pass out and then make it every 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

I only ever drank Champagne and never even heard of Prosecco or Cava until about 2010. I just thought it was cheap fizzy alco was students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭HBC08

This is horrendous!

Never heard or scene this before,
    She should be up on charges for murdering a classic.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Never heard or scene this before,
    She should be up on charges for murdering a classic.

She is also dubbing.

I note the way the camera never pans to the crowd to save her dignity- eff all watching her. Probably on at 11:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Anytime I'm headed for the Northwest this reminder of the Celtic Tiger always catches my eye

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.5794086,-7.3678814,3a,75y,61.36h,95.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-phDEFN8fSZMbRWZL32kiQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

And then it's cousin a little further along the N4

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.7855448,-7.841631,3a,75y,357.48h,87.92t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDFIaR4vceIp-ZNmKq2z_MA!2e0!5s20190901T000000!7i16384!8i8192

If you toggle street view between 2011 and 2019, the only change is the hedges getting taller :(

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

blackwhite wrote: »
    Anytime I'm headed for the Northwest this reminder of the Celtic Tiger always catches my eye

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.5794086,-7.3678814,3a,75y,61.36h,95.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-phDEFN8fSZMbRWZL32kiQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I drove past this last weekend - it reminded me of this thread! :P

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.7855448,-7.841631,3a,75y,357.48h,87.92t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDFIaR4vceIp-ZNmKq2z_MA!2e0!5s20190901T000000!7i16384!8i8192

If you toggle street view between 2011 and 2019, the only change is the hedges getting taller :(
    There are a number of stalled construction projects in and around Athlone that show no signs of ever restarting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭cml387

There are a number of stalled construction projects in and around Athlone that show no signs of ever restarting as well.

Indeed the small roads in and around Kilcolgan in Galway are rife with outlandish muck mansions slowly moldering away.

Does anyone remember Flash developments?

The aforementioned Cape Verde pot of gold, the developer even had arranged a scheduled air service to get out there. As proof of this there was a pictire of a jumbo jet on the website.

Featured as a prize on the Late Late Show even.

is the second one near newtown forbes? if so, that was built way before the celtic tiger I think.

Did the guy in Offaly who was shot at keep his house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

pgj2015 wrote: »
    is the second one near newtown forbes? if so, that was built way before the celtic tiger I think.

Might be Celtic tiger however i wonder does an ex or planning arise in many cases

Advertisement