Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeast & strong flour?

Options
  • 17-06-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I bought a pizza stone for our Weber gas bbq...
    Has anyone any idea where I could get some yeast & strong flour?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Hi guys,

I bought a pizza stone for our Weber gas bbq...
    Has anyone any idea where I could get some yeast & strong flour?

Thanks!
    Based in Kilkenny but very quick delivery
    https://kellswholemeal.ie/about-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

Most supermarkets. Strong flour has been noticeably absent for some time now but my local Tesco had some in last week and I've heard of others. Or you can order 16kg bags online from places like kells wholemeal or pallas foods. Yeast, if you want fresh then eastern European stores are your best bet, Moldova and Polonez near me usually have it, 100g is approx 50c. If you want dried then most supermarkets have it - Tesco, dunnes, Lidl, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've also been buying flour in bulk from Kells - and yeast too because that's even more scarce than flour. If you don't want 16kg and can't find normal sized bags, Tesco sell packs of crusty white bread mix. They cost less than 70c and one pack will make 2 huge pizzas and a rake of dough balls, according to one of my daughters who uses them all the time because they're so handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Comerman wrote: »
    Based in Kilkenny but very quick delivery
    https://kellswholemeal.ie/about-us/

Hi,

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I ordered yesterday & received my order today. :)

Hi,

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I ordered yesterday & received my order today. :)

What ya buy? I got the pizza flour and I'm very happy with it so far :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I buy Marriage's Uppermost, it's beautiful flour.

I buy Marriage's Uppermost, it's beautiful flour.

Yeah the pizza flour is Marriages too, very good quality in my humble opinion

What ya buy? I got the pizza flour and I'm very happy with it so far :-)

Meant to say too that if you call into Supervalu you can buy a block of fresh yeast over the counter at the bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is an oddly high number of Maynooth/North Kildare posters on here, so this may be of some use - Donovans in Maynooth is splitting Odlums sacks in to 2KG plastic bags of strong flour currently. I have no connection to the shop other than using it; haven't bought this as I've got lazy and buy bases now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Yeah the pizza flour is Marriages too, very good quality in my humble opinion

Same! Brilliant flour. Really fast delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can anyone remember the price of 2kgs of Odlums SR FLOUR Pre lockdown?

It has been retailing at €2.99 in Tesco, Lidl and Aldi since lockdown

Own brand flour has disappeared but used to sell at 95c iirc in Lidl and Aldi, €1.59 in Tesco

Quality and the importation of flour aside, I’m still thinking odlums never was €2.99 pre lockdown and a killing is being made on it. Fair to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I make a wholemeal yeast bread and strong wholemeal flour hasn't been available since the start of the lockdown, however Holland and Barrett sell vital wheat gluten which I add to to coarse wholemeal flour and it works perfectly.

If you can't find strong white flour you could add it to plain white flour.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/holland-barrett-vital-wheat-gluten-60007422

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

2.79 is the last price I remember for Odlums 2kg white/self raising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

after experimentation for last 3 months , marriages golden crust makes great pizza, ( from Kells as above ) i was using the uppermost ,
    but it can get very hard to work ( sticky )

here is a pizza dough calulator ,
    https://www.stadlermade.com/pizza-dough-calculator/

i make american recipe as it works best in home kitchen ovens - 300 gram balls for a 12 incher in a home cooker oven takes 9 minutes at 245 c

its best to make the dough on the morning the day before you cook it , let it rise for an hour then put in fridge ovewrnight

it will rise a bit in fridge ( some people leave it for up to a week in fridge , it gets better but harder to work )

then take it out around lunchtime and leave in room temp place until an hour before cooking , it will rise a lot and become soft stretchy and airy

then knead it in some flour and leave for an hour this resting makes it easier to stretch then layout and cook

you get a nice thin center with cushiony edges , its great .

super value does yeast , you dont need much, or you can leave some flour and water mix in a jar for a day or two and make you own sour dough yeast .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Hoagy wrote: »
    I make a wholemeal yeast bread and strong wholemeal flour hasn't been available since the start of the lockdown, however Holland and Barrett sell vital wheat gluten which I add to to coarse wholemeal flour and it works perfectly.

If you can't find strong white flour you could add it to plain white flour.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/holland-barrett-vital-wheat-gluten-60007422

Interesting, im going to run out of strong flour soon

So back of a fag packet calculation.

Strong bread flour =13.2% protein (ish)
    Normal flour = 10% (varies)

400g strong flour = 52.8g protein

382g normal flour @10% + 18g vital wheat gluten @82.5% =52.78g

So that would give the same consistency, does it alter the taste or anything else?

Advertisement