Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to buy in Celbridge

• 17-06-2020 12:27pm

Hi All,

Looking for some advice from people with experience of living in Celbridge.

Myself and my gf are lookig to buy and have viewed a couple of places in Celbridge. We like the area but unsure about transport, traffic, schools etc. We are in our late 20's so we would also be interested in nightlife, restaurant, bars etc. Hw much for example would a taxi from Dublin city centre be to Celbridge after a night out?

I am working in Mulhuddart but have flexi time and will work from home 2 days a week so the commute doesn't bother me too much. My gf is working in Merrion Square and starts work at 8.30 each morning. How would this commute be?

We are looking at a house in Oldtown Mill. Anyone with any experieince of the area would be great to find out some more info.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

tolow wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for some advice from people with experience of living in Celbridge.

Myself and my gf are lookig to buy and have viewed a couple of places in Celbridge. We like the area but unsure about transport, traffic, schools etc. We are in our late 20's so we would also be interested in nightlife, restaurant, bars etc. Hw much for example would a taxi from Dublin city centre be to Celbridge after a night out?

I am working in Mulhuddart but have flexi time and will work from home 2 days a week so the commute doesn't bother me too much. My gf is working in Merrion Square and starts work at 8.30 each morning. How would this commute be?

We are looking at a house in Oldtown Mill. Anyone with any experieince of the area would be great to find out some more info.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I've lived in celbridge my whole life, oldtown mill is a nice estate, it's there a few years now and dublin bus is accessible from that estate, also bus eireann (short walk). Traffic is a huge issue in celbridge for many ppl and also sufficient public transport I.e not enough of it. I've heard ppl constantly complain about this, buses full, traffic too heavy, the bridge in celbridge is a bit of a bottleneck.
    The train is an option, it's in hazelhatch, long walk from oldtown mill, there is a feeder bus from the Tesco side through the village or you can drive and park up there, lots of parking available. She would need to get the earliest bus to make it for 8.30, one before 7am I would say.

There are 2 big new estates planned for celbridge one near oldtown mill and the other the crodaun side, while will only add to the traffic. To be honest the traffic doesnt bother me (I work in maynooth) but it's never bothered me and I worked in city centre for 10 years, theres no point complaining, just sleep, read or enjoy the quite time.

Taxi from town....last time I got one was 40ish euro. There is option of nitelink.

Lots of pubs in celbridge, few nice restaurants and cafes. Maynooth has lots of restaurants and a younger nite life in terms of pubs and a taxi there costs around 12/15 euro.

I hope there are more plans for schools and preschools and creches in the area because the number of ppl that will be added to the area with 2 big new estates wont fit in what we have.

A couple of gyms in the area also and castleton estate and parkland is a huge amenity to the area, its beautiful up there for a walk.

I hope this helps you a bit, if you have any other questions or want any more information let me know.

Take care.

Hi Coopaloop, thanks a million for the reply. Very informative. Just what I wanted. Where would I find more information about the feeder bus to Hazelhatch?

The area looks nice enough, we took a drive through last evening. Is there many anti social issues in the area? I know it is to be expected everywhere really.

Thanks again

Hi Coopaloop, thanks a million for the reply. Very informative. Just what I wanted. Where would I find more information about the feeder bus to Hazelhatch?

The area looks nice enough, we took a drive through last evening. Is there many anti social issues in the area? I know it is to be expected everywhere really.

I tried to have a look online for feeder bus info, but cant find anything.....from memory I'm nearly sure it picks up at bus stops from after base entertainment on maynooth road, and all the bus stops after that to and including the village ( it's a mini bus, has a sign in window saying hazelhatch feeder bus) you stick out your hand for it, think it leaves first stop around 15ish mins ( dont quote me on that) before train due, and then it's there waiting at train station as the trains come in. I'm sure a call to the station would get you more info tho.

As for anti social behaviour, same as everywhere I guess, groups of teens hanging around, but you get that everywhere. They're just being teens I guess.

All and all a very nice town to live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Thanks again

The info for the feeder bus was on the Irish rail website in the timetables ( it wasn't obvious just a bus symbol by Hazelhatch/Celbridge on each train that is met or has a feeder bus . However I have just checked and in true Irish Rail form they have left the Covid temp timetables in place only and the bus symbols are not there. ( I thought the trains had reverted to normal now ? )

The bus runs along the Maynooth road ( ie the 67 route ) and is a minibus run by a local person . Coopaloop has it spot on really , I have used it on occasion and have the advantage I live in the estate the owner of the bus lives in so she drops me directly home :-) .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ASearcher

Hi All,
    I am planning to buy house in Celbridge near OldTown Woods and thinking of pros/cons of travel either through 67/67x or 120 or may be through Hazelhatch train station.

I would be going to city center for work and want to know the commute times. Google says it approx 1 hours 10 mins either using 67 or 120 if I leave between 7:30-8:30

Want to know the bus board experience, is it full and are there any seats available.

Also would be good to know which are the good schools near Old Town, the closest one is Scoil na Mainistreach and looking to get admission for my kid.

Please can you provide some feedback and suggestions on the above points.

Regards

• Advertisement

ASearcher wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I am planning to buy house in Celbridge near OldTown Woods and thinking of pros/cons of travel either through 67/67x or 120 or may be through Hazelhatch train station.

I would be going to city center for work and want to know the commute times. Google says it approx 1 hours 10 mins either using 67 or 120 if I leave between 7:30-8:30

Want to know the bus board experience, is it full and are there any seats available.

Also would be good to know which are the good schools near Old Town, the closest one is Scoil na Mainistreach and looking to get admission for my kid.

Regards

Cant comment on the busses as I work in maynooth/or from home now.

Schools, I can comment. Scoil na mainistreach is an amazing school, my son goes there, in senior infants, my other son will go next year and now my daughter will also go there in 4 to 5 years time.
    Cant fault the place at all, lovely, inclusive environment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I lived in Celbridge for six months, too far from Hazelhatch to take the train, so was reliant on the 67 and 67x for my commute to North Dublin city centre.

On average it took me 1 hour 45 minutes each way. Some days it took over two hours but those days were the exception. I found it torture. However I had a second bus or a 25 minute walk at the other end, the 67 goes direct to Merrion so it might not be as bad. I'd allow at least 1 hour 15 mins for the commute each way.

The village traffic was always very heavy.

One other thing I struggled with in Celbridge was the teenage boys. They hang around in gangs intimidating women, girls and old people. Not serious crime, just stressful.

I did not find a pub I liked.

I liked the people generally and liked the proximity to Castletown house which is stunning for walks, but for the reasons above I moved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Sorry I was replying to the OP which I now see is an old question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

ASearcher wrote: »
    Hi All,

Regards

I lived in Oldtown Mill, for over 10 years and used the 67x(Aghards Rd.) route to commute. One of the early morning ones would collect you on the Shackleton Road. If I was on the bus at 7:20, I'd usually be on Bachelors walk in about 45 mins. (this might be longer now!)Coming home was longer.
    Both my lads attended Scoil na Mainstreach. One now finished in 1st year and the other still there in 5th.
    There's a privately run breakfast club and afterschool club within the school, that we used for a number of years.
    Great school and all staff that we encountered were great.
    Plenty of sports clubs on you doorstep and I find the pubs great, including pub grub.
    A lack of quality restaurants, but i usually head to Maynooth for that (not that often:o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Living in Celbridge 18 years myself and now buying in old town woods myself. Love Celbridge even though from Dublin, it's a great town with lots of clubs. Myself and daughter are both in running club so will be even closer to it now. Schools are all great, I went to the girls secondary and found it very good. My own daughter will be going in couple of years to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ASearcher

Thanks a lot Everyone for the replies, really appreciate all the responses.

I am happy in regards with the schools in celbridge.

I would be travelling to the North wall Quays

I am looking to commute using bus number 120 from the stop near St Wolstan school as google says it is the fastest option and 67/67x would take a longer time as compared to 120

Looking forward for any information on this, on second note how much time does it takes to cross the Celbrigde bridge and village traffic from Oldtown Road in the peak times using bus, I am assuming 20-30 minutes.

Thanks,

Advertisement