Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertiliser for hedge

Options
  • 17-06-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi there,

We've a large hedge consisting of wild rose bushes, skeough, sally, chestnut...parts of it are growing amzing where the soil must be better we're presuming but patches are awful and hardly growing? Do you have any advice on a fertiliser I could put on this part of the hedge to help growth? Should I treat the different elements of the hedge differenlty? Any advice welcome, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Buy a cheap soil testing kit to establish what you're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

A simple general purpose granular fertilizer will do the job fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Potato fertilizer aka 7-6-17

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Potato fertilizer aka 7-6-17

Thanks so much everyone for replies, great help. Why that combination re potato fertilser? Just curious? Thanks a million.

Would chicken manure pellets fit what yee are talking about? Im just thinking they are cheap in bulk? And ive a good bit of hedge to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just my thoughts on the topic, but if part of the hedge is doing well - presumably its a hedge that you recently planted? - it doesn't need fertilising there, and if part of it is doing badly it suggest the soil is not up to much, or there there is no depth, or it is in significant shade or some other problem that putting fertilizer isn't going to necessarily improve. If it is a new hedge why not try top dressing the poor parts to improve the quality of the soil - and before you do that, check the soil type.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Just my thoughts on the topic, but if part of the hedge is doing well - presumably its a hedge that you recently planted? - it doesn't need fertilising there, and if part of it is doing badly it suggest the soil is not up to much, or there there is no depth, or it is in significant shade or some other problem that putting fertilizer isn't going to necessarily improve. If it is a new hedge why not try top dressing the poor parts to improve the quality of the soil - and before you do that, check the soil type.

Thanks for reply. Its an old hedge actually,over ten years old. Its not in the shade, very open in fact, but the soil on our site is very bad thick clay type and we put alot of good topsoil in when building but I think not in the area where the hedge is bad now come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Thanks so much everyone for replies, great help. Why that combination re potato fertilser? Just curious? Thanks a million.

Would chicken manure pellets fit what yee are talking about? Im just thinking they are cheap in bulk? And ive a good bit of hedge to cover.

I have done this - bought a big bucket of chicken manure pellets for my garden.
    So far so good!

Just a warning that dogs love them. They'll eat any accessible. I had an area where they had access to so I dissolved the pellets in water and spread the liquid sh*t with a watering can.
    As pleasant as it sounds!

aw wrote: »
    I have done this - bought a big bucket of chicken manure pellets for my garden.
    So far so good!

Just a warning that dogs love them. They'll eat any accessible. I had an area where they had access to so I dissolved the pellets in water and spread the liquid sh*t with a watering can.
    As pleasant as it sounds!

:-) Thanks!

Liquid seaweed did the job for my hedge. Planted it in November but flying it despite the drought with a few feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

+1 for Seaweed, amazing stuff and helps condition the soil as well. I use the pellets and used it for a rough patch of 10 meters on our hedge and is really helping.

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »
    +1 for Seaweed, amazing stuff and helps condition the soil as well. I use the pellets and used it for a rough patch of 10 meters on our hedge and is really helping.

How do the pellets work? Just hand spread and then water them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

How do the pellets work? Just hand spread and then water them in?

I spread by hand in the Spring with rain forecast and just leave it. Takes a few weeks to breakdown.

krissovo wrote: »
    I spread by hand in the Spring with rain forecast and just leave it. Takes a few weeks to breakdown.

Might look into it. Diluting the liquid stuff and then watering with a can can be a pain.

Thanks everyone for your help here, after reading what youve said and other bits online I went with the chicken manure pellets, it seems to be the best all rounder and improves soil etc..so got 10kg in Woodies for €16.99...hopefully its going to do the job, will let you know down the line if i see improvements.

Advertisement