Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Would that include the European invaders who took the place over by force and then brought in others as slaves?

Scandinavians have their own problems i think

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thats fair, there are also a load of brazillians peddling drugs from rickshaws though, a very mixed bag on their immigration, a points system would resplve that one completely though

Well, get them caught, convicted and the appropriate sentence followed by deportation... same goes for any and ALL non national criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

In your opinion, why is that figure so high?

And is it a true figure as in 28.5% of the working age Turkish population (excluding housewives, retirees and the disabled)?

Look up the concept of 'Parallelgesellschaft'. This is one of the major contributory factors to those statistics in German labour market.

I've lived there. I was astounded to meet third generation immigrants, who could only speak rudimentary German, at best. They are simply so entrenched in their own micro-societies, that there is no incentive to learn the language or adapt to the German Alltag.

Do we really want to foist this upon Irish society?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Ask the people of Balbriggan how it’s working for them.

Balbriggan should have been dynamited long before the first immigrant set foot in the kip.

biko wrote: »
    Usually integrate means assimilate.

The opposite of multiculturalism is assimilation with the goal of monoculturalism, or the notion that if you come to Ireland you are expected
    to adopt Irish customs and kinda abandon your own.

For instance. If you go live in a country where the drinking of alcohol is prohibited you are expected to not drink alcohol.

So in other words just obey the law, right?

• Advertisement

Another example would be if you move to a country where mutilating the genitals of a baby is illegal you'd be expected not to do that.

So again....just obeying the laws of the land. That's your definition of integration...am I correct so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hamachi wrote: »
    Indeed. I live in the Blanchardstown area, but work not too far from Dalkey. The difference in the ethnic composition of both areas is immediately evident.

The entire south-east quadrant of Dublin has scarcely been touched by the high volume of immigration throughout the last two decades. To say that this area is not multicultural, is an understatement to state the least.

It's very easy to advocate for something when you know that you will never be affected by the negative outcomes. The endless stream of trite anecdotes trotted out in favour of multiculturalism, do not negate the fact that this flawed policy is having, a not always positive impact, in working class communities.

Careful now, you are talking that much sense that sure enough someone will pull out the "R" card on you soon.

Balbriggan should have been dynamited long before the first immigrant set foot in the kip.

Kip? Why is it kip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Balbriggan isn't a 'kip'. It's a decent coastal town that could have evolved to rival Skerries, had it been allowed to grow organically.

Hamachi wrote: »
    Balbriggan isn't a 'kip'. It's a decent coastal town that could have evolved to rival Skerries, had it been allowed to grow organically.

I cannot wait to hear his/her explanation of why it was a kip before immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I live near to Balbriggan,all is not well in that place from some of the shocking stories I hear from friends there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I live near to Balbriggan,all is not well in that place from some of the shocking stories I hear from friends there.

I have heard from a friend who works with Fingal CC that black people are starting to request not to be housed there because of the gangs. Eg single mothers who don't want their sons getting involved or Congolese not wanting to be amongst a lot of Nigerians...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

sabat wrote: »
    I have heard from a friend who works with Fingal CC that black people are starting to request not to be housed there because of the gangs. Eg single mothers who don't want their sons getting involved or Congolese not wanting to be amongst a lot of Nigerians...

Could they be housed in the Congo or Nigeria?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Fingal county council reaping what they sow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Could they be housed in the Congo or Nigeria?

They might have to work for a living there

It must be great being able request a house to live in .

Reading the other day on the paper that direct provision costs the state 170 million a year. If you add on how much more they're paying out in rent allowance , children's allowance etc it must run well over a half a billion a year . I hope this great multicultural society that the lefties waffle on about , is worth the money the taxpayer is spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

That would be nothing compared to the spending on NGOs. That is meant to be in the billions.

Reading the other day on the paper that direct provision costs the state 170 million a year. If you add on how much more they're paying out in rent allowance , children's allowance etc it must run well over a half a billion a year . I hope this great multicultural society that the lefties waffle on about , is worth the money the taxpayer is spending.

There are 38 direct provision centres and 31 of them are owned by private families. One family in particular the McCloskeys who own Mosney have reportedly made 136m in profits. Guess what, this family have been big contributors to the FF campaigns over the years, so are very cosy with the FF top brass. It is difficult to see exactly how much profit they are making as the companies are domiciled abroad. Alan Hyde in Cork has received in excess of 100m. Absolute scandal these guys making a killing from taxpayers money.

"Much of this profitable asylum industry is built on offshore corporate structures, which means that significant amounts of public money being turned into profit by the industry is held behind a veil of secrecy."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

This. It's such a scam, it makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Hudur

Strongly disagree. As a Nordic immigrant who has been here for 15+ years working, I am not too bad for Ireland though.

Surely most of young people from EU coming here to work are positive. No trouble, pay taxes and don't really use any public money. Of course leftists use us as a reason to have borders open for everyone which is complete nonsense.

Interesting that Ireland doesn't seem to be any party that would be against this. Probably last country in Europe without any opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

The recent housing protest in Mulhuddart got me wondering about the merit of what they were protesting about. There's a new council estate out there, Avondale, completed 2013, that whenever I've been there looks to be heavily foreign. There's another estate, the Parnell, completed 2008, which is a mix of council managed and AHB managed homes.

Here's where it gets interesting.

The area electoral division is Tyrellstown, although most people would regard the area as being Mulhuddart, and regard Tyrellstown as being the estates up to the north beyond the Ladyswell graveyard. Its electoral district is The Ward.

The area has the Wellview/ Parslickstown council estate built in the 80s, some possibly early 90s, and a very small halting site.

https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html

The population of this estate peaked in 2002 at 1653, declining to 1538 by 2006 (likely continues to decline or at least stagnate as children of original residents grow up and leave, new families moving in have less kids than families in the 80's/90's did etc).

With the construction of Parnell and Avondale the population jumped up to 3257 by 2016. Probably safe to assume about 2000 of these people living in the new homes, perhaps 12- 1300 in the older estate.

Here's where it gets interesting.

https://www.citypopulation.de/en/ireland/dublin/04015__blanchardstown_tyrrelstow/

More than 1000 of the area's residents were born abroad. Add in a few hundred of their Irish born children.

Given the population of the area in the older council built homes would be about 1300, and the vast majority of these would be Irish, most of the 1000 people in the area born abroad would have to be living in the new build AHB/ council homes.

It would appear that a majority of the new council homes were given to people born abroad. That doesn't seem to be a- particularly fair b- a justifiable spend of public money.

Well, presumably if his qualifications were to be recognised in Holland, he would make his living as an engineer, yes ?

And have a lucrative and fulfilling life, yes ?

One way or another, everything you've said - and we can only go by what you said - suggests straightforwardly that your friend is an economic migrant, ie

So your objection to people saying that is what, exactly ?

But really, all you have is just more of 'all the lovely grub and friendliness' BS mindset.

Thankfully, Benetton don't do passports. Yet.

A wonderful analysis

"Homey don't play that, eh?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Scandinavians have their own problems i think

Earlier you stated

You still dont get it do you,what proper integration means?

What do you think "proper integration" means?

There are so many highly educated refugees and asylum seekers.

People on here harp on about how so many of these people are blagging their way into the country as economic migrants. I live between 2 countries. I've befriended Sarmand, from Afghanistan, in the Netherlands. Sarmand has a PhD in Chemical Engineering. He dunks chips into a deep fat fryer and carves slabs of lamb off the rotating "elephant's leg" in the shoarma joint because he can't get his Engineering accreditation recognised in Holland. y.

Serious feckin question.

Why do lefties always believe taxi drivers and bouncers who tell them they worked on the Syrian Space Programme or were the head of paediatric surgery at Mogadishu Chidren's Hospital?

Do you ever stop to think for a minute that kebab man may be pulling your leg, if he indeed exists?

So he can't transfer his qualifications. As a fully qualified chemical engineer he could surely enrol in a Dutch university and pass the course without even turning up for anything bar the exam?

These lads remind you of lads from Kerry in New York regaling adoring yanks with tales of how many Brits they shot in the 80's.

I'll tell you what

The OP question was/is what are your opinions on multiculturism *what ever that means"

And the thread is collapsing by a bunch of assholes who shoehorn their bigotry in.

How many refugees were allowed into Ireland in 2019?

Answer: 585

The rest were sent packing.

I'll tell you what

The OP question was/is what are your opinions on multiculturism *what ever that means"

And the thread is collapsing by a bunch of assholes who shoehorn their bigotry in.

How many refugees were allowed into Ireland in 2019?

Answer: 585

The rest were sent packing.

Would you ever give over with your made up stats :pac:

Didn't see you retract your blatant untruth that you can't get dole in Ireland as a foreign national without having paid into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Sand

2u2me wrote: »
    To integrate you need a willingness on the party entering the country.

No, its not about willingness. Its about numbers. If you move to Iceland, you either integrate or you live outside society. If you and the rest of Ireland moves to Iceland, why would you integrate? Ireland is with you.
    Integration is the key here.

No, its about numbers. People 'integrate' when they have to. They don't when they don't.
    What's "mass" immigration as opposed to just immigration and who supports it?

Mass migration is a level of migration that creates significant demographic changes in the European country hosting it. You support it. Otherwise you would not be playing dumb.
    Bambi wrote: »
    In fairness, most of the countries lecturing him arent being run by a kleptomaniac like the bould Victor

I'd rather have Orban running the country than anarcho-tyranny.
    Odhinn wrote: »
    Please do tell us then.

It mean's assimilation. That the immigrant, and their descendants, are absorbed into the indigenous population so that their children and grandchildren are indistinguishable from their countrymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Sand wrote: »

It mean's assimilation. That the immigrant, and their descendants, are absorbed into the indigenous population so that their children and grandchildren are indistinguishable from their countrymen.

..which sort of hands the shitty end of the stick to those of a different skin colour, doesn't it?

• Advertisement

Is that why interracial couples have a higher divorce rate too maybe?

Do they?

Pray tell.

Advertisement