Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

She's a clown , I unfortunately came across a article she wrote , she was complaining about people in Ireland would've ask her where she's from . That's racist nowadays. She's from Ireland apparently and gets offended when people ask her that , nevermind they could be just making conversation. I've talked to loads of non nationals on building sites and out fishing and I've asked countless where they're from and not one has said Ireland . Not that I've a problem with it or either had they thought it was racist in anyway . It's just people having a conversation. Like I've friends who hold australian passports but if you asked them where they're from , they'd say Ireland .

She's like an African version of pavee point , it's such a sad way of living your life seeing racism in everything , but I suppose that's how she makes her living ... Sad woman

I think she is from Nigeria or somewhere similar. She's definitely not from Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Deshawn wrote: »
    I think she is from Nigeria or somewhere similar. She's definitely not from Ireland anyway.

Don't let her hear you say that... Racist

I hate to be a grammar Nazi but it's actually spelt wacist.

(Please don't tell her. I don't want to be cancelled)

Isn't it interesting how everything can be considered racist these days?

I think people are just trying to dumb down society to their level so they don't have to learn so many words, or the correct situations in which to use them. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh naughty step for you D. IIRC she was in the UK for while and came here, no doubt fleeing English opression. Now in fairness they have previous in this but... What are the odds an extra family member appeared soon after.

She's a grifter, a chancer who saw an opening in as the article describes the "diversity industry" and took it. Very enterprising, but utter bullsh1t guaranteed to sow division, but it'll keep her in a job, to be wheeled out by RTE types looking for pearls to clutch. Of course the same RTE types won't be living in areas most hit by this multiculturalism.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Isn't it interesting how everything can be considered racist these days?
    When it suits. Just like most isms. It gets attention, shuts down debate among the nervous and keeps the tills ringing for the professional commentators and agitators.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

She's a clown , I unfortunately came across a article she wrote , she was complaining about people in Ireland would've ask her where she's from . That's racist nowadays. She's from Ireland apparently and gets offended when people ask her that , nevermind they could be just making conversation. I've talked to loads of non nationals on building sites and out fishing and I've asked countless where they're from and not one has said Ireland . Not that I've a problem with it or either had they thought it was racist in anyway . It's just people having a conversation. Like I've friends who hold australian passports but if you asked them where they're from , they'd say Ireland .

She's like an African version of pavee point , it's such a sad way of living your life seeing racism in everything , but I suppose that's how she makes her living ... Sad woman

Absolutely.

I remember on a boat on the killarney lakes many years my father asking a black lady where she was from once and she replied dublin.
    My father then said your origin or parentage. I remember my mum almost embarrassed thinking my father was politically incorrect. My father who spent years abroad, including africa, was trying to have a conversation.

The black lady was in no way offended. Today people are offended because the are expected to be offended,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Ebun Joseph is Irelands highest paid racist by that metric. Justin or Gemma could only dream of that much income for spitting bile about races they hate.

I believe she has the ability to make serious money but I dont think she is a senior lecturer grade. It would be a huge achievement to get to senior lecturer five years after her PhD. That happens in the UK where they are paid less but in Ireland universities are slow to grant them as they are so well paid.

I believe she has the ability to make serious money but I dont think she is a senior lecturer grade. It would be a huge achievement to get to senior lecturer five years after her PhD. That happens in the UK where they are paid less but in Ireland universities are slow to grant them as they are so well paid.

The problem is that I saw one of her interviews on RTE, and I could barely hear/understand her English. Awful pronunciation... so I'd be wary that she could lecture in any manner that students would understand what she's saying (never mind the content). Still, I wouldn't be surprised if she got such a position, just so the university could show how virtuous they are. The Irish institutions do love to follow what other countries are doing, and the UK has fallen for this BS... hook, line, and sinker.

3 stabbed to death in church in Nice in France. Has France been improved due to Muslim immigration?

We in this country need to learn the lessons of the likes of France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Think she was complaining lately that she left a job as others were getting paid more. Niall boylan tbf stood up to her on the tonight show so he wont be on it again with her id imagine.

3 stabbed to death in church in Nice in France. Has France been improved due to Muslim immigration?

France will be ground zero for religious based violence and terrorism. Wouldn't be a fan of Macron but in fairness to him he has come out hard against Islamic extremism.
    And if he gets voted out Le Pen is waiting the wings to take over and really kick it up a gear.

"Fear is going to change sides"
    Excellent line

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

France will be ground zero for religious based violence and terrorism. Wouldn't be a fan of Macron but in fairness to him he has come out hard against Islamic extremism.
    And if he gets voted out Le Pen is waiting the wings to take over and really kick it up a gear.

"Fear is going to change sides"
    Excellent line

I think Macron deserves credit when he acts, rather than for just talk. He's clearly trying to neutralise the electoral threat from Le Pen. However, hes a former investment banker. A few years back he was attacking Salvini for taking modest measures to combat mass migration. He's a neoliberal at heart. Tough talk in the run up to elections should be treated as merely talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I remember when catholics were planting bombs and killing UK citizens,yet nobody was demanding that all catholics be denied entry to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

I think a lot of countries have had their fill of cultural enrichment

Absolutely.

I remember on a boat on the killarney lakes many years my father asking a black lady where she was from once and she replied dublin.
    My father then said your origin or parentage. I remember my mum almost embarrassed thinking my father was politically incorrect. My father who spent years abroad, including africa, was trying to have a conversation.

The black lady was in no way offended. Today people are offended because the are expected to be offended,

i hope you will not be offended but it sounds as if your father was a bit of a "GOWL

i hope you will not be offended but it sounds as if your father was a bit of a "GOWL

Different times, different upbringing. My grandfather was undeniably racist, but then, he'd lived most of his life in west Galway, and his one stint abroad, he'd seen foreigners behaving like fools. That experience shaped his perception of others.

There's not enough appreciation for peoples individual circumstances, and there seems to be a lot of ignorance for just how inward looking Ireland was in the past. As if what we have today, was always here. Or should have been. Different times, different perceptions.

Sand wrote: »
    I think Macron deserves credit when he acts, rather than for just talk. He's clearly trying to neutralise the electoral threat from Le Pen. However, hes a former investment banker. A few years back he was attacking Salvini for taking modest measures to combat mass migration. He's a neoliberal at heart. Tough talk in the run up to elections should be treated as merely talk.

Normally, I would agree. I generally don't trust any career politicians, since they tend to flipflop to garner attention, or follow trends. All the same, the issues that France faces are hard to ignore, so it could be that he's fixed himself on being the person who fixes some of them.

Immigration and the failure of integration would be a great platform to follow because the long-term nature of it would give him leeway to stay in the limelight for a long time to come. There's also been a lessening of the condemnation against those who stand against immigration, so he could just be seeing this as the right moment to step in, and be the first to gain "acceptable" recognition for taking a stand.

I'd say he's got a good chance of becoming famous rather than infamous, if he takes the right steps here. Public opinion will likely support him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Absolutely.

I couldn’t tell you how many times I have asked Irish people where they are from. It’s definitely a normal question to ask people when making conversation. It’s something I get asked too.

Is it not racist to treat people differently because of where they are from?

We have a lot of non EU staff at work and I enjoy getting to know them and it’s really interesting when they talk about their cultures/countries. They are far from home and they talk about home a lot especially now when they can’t go home because of Covid.

It's being reported that their were two beheadings in Nice. Medieval fu*kers.

• Advertisement

Different times, different upbringing. My grandfather was undeniably racist, but then, he'd lived most of his life in west Galway, and his one stint abroad, he'd seen foreigners behaving like fools. That experience shaped his perception of others.

There's not enough appreciation for peoples individual circumstances, and there seems to be a lot of ignorance for just how inward looking Ireland was in the past. As if what we have today, was always here. Or should have been. Different times, different perceptions.

Very true but nowdays racism must be called out and not tolerated in any shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's being reported that their were two beheadings in Nice. Medieval fu*kers.

Let's not lose our head over this...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

mohawk wrote: »
    I couldn’t tell you how many times I have asked Irish people where they are from. It’s definitely a normal question to ask people when making conversation. It’s something I get asked too.

Is it not racist to treat people differently because of where they are from?

We have a lot of non EU staff at work and I enjoy getting to know them and it’s really interesting when they talk about their cultures/countries. They are far from home and they talk about home a lot especially now when they can’t go home because of Covid.

The circumstances you’re describing clearly aren’t the same as the circumstances Justin was describing though? When was the last time you asked a black person if they said they were Irish, “but where are you really from?” :pac: That’s hardly a polite conversation starter.

I don’t think it’s racist to treat people differently because of where they’re from. It would be racist if you thought of people as inferior to you because they’re of a different race though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Normally, I would agree. I generally don't trust any career politicians, since they tend to flipflop to garner attention, or follow trends. All the same, the issues that France faces are hard to ignore, so it could be that he's fixed himself on being the person who fixes some of them.

Immigration and the failure of integration would be a great platform to follow because the long-term nature of it would give him leeway to stay in the limelight for a long time to come. There's also been a lessening of the condemnation against those who stand against immigration, so he could just be seeing this as the right moment to step in, and be the first to gain "acceptable" recognition for taking a stand.

I'd say he's got a good chance of becoming famous rather than infamous, if he takes the right steps here. Public opinion will likely support him.

Standing against mass migration is never going to be granted acceptability by the great and the good. If it's to be done, its going to have to be done despite them, not with their help. I think its very likely Macron is privately assuring his donors and his colleagues and friends that it's just for show and they need to play along for fear of Le Pen. Once the election is over, its back to business as usual.

Very true but nowdays racism must be called out and not tolerated in any shape or form.

In my life (43 years), racism was never tolerated, and it was called out for what it was. There is this ridiculous belief that we are somehow living in more enlightened times. We're not. There was a greater degree of politeness/manners, along with the repercussions for breaking the acceptable behavior in the past. Racism being unacceptable, for the most part, with most people being called out for it.

Nowadays, we have lost focus... There are so many shapes or forms to racism, that it's lost it's impact on society, and those who are calling others out, due to supposed racist behavior, are less interested in a better society, and more interested in pushing a particular agenda.

One of the things that Martin Luther King hoped for a 'colorblind' society where people didn't see any ethnic/racial group, but instead, that people would be treated as individuals (where color didn't matter at all). Apparently, that's racist now. No, seriously. The focus on racism has progressed to the point where race is now more important than the removal of racial distinctiveness.

Sand wrote: »
    Standing against mass migration is never going to be granted acceptability by the great and the good. If it's to be done, its going to have to be done despite them, not with their help. I think its very likely Macron is privately assuring his donors and his colleagues and friends that it's just for show and they need to play along for fear of Le Pen. Once the election is over, its back to business as usual.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I think we're starting to see a change in the "great and good" in Europe. Especially, now that Britain has been removed from the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

I think a lot of countries have had their fill of cultural enrichment

Someone needs to tell FG that. According to "Project Ireland 2040" they want to massively increase the population of the country. I remember at the time figures of an extra 1 million people being thrown about.

That's a hell of a lot of extra doctors, nurses and engineers of course :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,791 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

newhouse87 wrote: »
    take the money and come back the following year, seems the logical and likely thing that would happen.

It would happen if you did not set quota's for those who wanted to get back in.
    At the time I believe Powell suggested visas for certain timeframes.

But with Ireland being in the EU I think that ship has sailed.
    Can't have it both ways I suppose. Loads of EU money (Ireland net recipients for decades) and keeping migrants out.
    It is not how the EU works.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nowadays, we have lost focus... There are so many shapes or forms to racism, that it's lost it's impact on society, and those who are calling others out, due to supposed racist behavior, are less interested in a better society, and more interested in pushing a particular agenda.

One of the things that Martin Luther King hoped for a 'colorblind' society where people didn't see any ethnic/racial group, but instead, that people would be treated as individuals (where color didn't matter at all). Apparently, that's racist now. No, seriously. The focus on racism has progressed to the point where race is now more important than the removal of racial distinctiveness.

I don’t think that was the point of the speech. MLK very much had an agenda too which he was pushing which was civil rights for black people as a group, and the point he was making was that he envisioned a society where his children wouldn’t be judged because they are black.

He wasn’t arguing for the removal of racial distinctiveness, he was arguing for the removal of making negative judgments about black people based upon the colour of their skin. He was in favour of positive discrimination in favour of black people so that at some point in the future, it wouldn’t be necessary in society because black people wouldn’t be judged by the colour of their skin by white people, as that’s the way American society was structured at the time of the civil rights movement.

Misreading the Dream: Color-Blindness and the Distortion of Martin Luther King Jr.

He was interested in a better society for black people, which would lead to a more just society for everyone regardless of the colour of their skin, that everyone would be judged by the content of their character - not just black people, but white people too.

• Advertisement

The problem is that I saw one of her interviews on RTE, and I could barely hear/understand her English. Awful pronunciation... so I'd be wary that she could lecture in any manner that students would understand what she's saying (never mind the content). Still, I wouldn't be surprised if she got such a position, just so the university could show how virtuous they are. The Irish institutions do love to follow what other countries are doing, and the UK has fallen for this BS... hook, line, and sinker.

It is a pity you could not understand her,however there literacy classes you could attend which would help so there is no need to feel inferior and hide yourself away. GET HELP.

Advertisement