Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What do you think would happen to the housing list if houses build today would endup under water in the future due to climate change, its already happening

thats a problem for 100+ years down the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Whatever you are smoking, go easy on it.

I think its you who's smoking stuff dude. The same sh1t Eamon Ryan and Co are on. "Lets reduce the carbon footprint of Ireland by increasing its population through mass immigration!"

Ireland 2040!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As you seem to have the horn for climate change and fair enough maybe you can answer these questions?

Do more people mean more environmental impacts? Yes or no?

Does more housing for the above mean more environmental impacts? Yes or no?

Would fewer people living in Ireland mean fewer environmental impacts across the board? Yes or no?

So why are you in favour of bringing more people in?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

My view and point remains, immigration is a very minor issue compared to about a dozen more serious problems/issues this country faces in 2020 and 2021

Sure, but the flaw in your logic, is that immigration is closely connected to such other concerns.

In the main, lack of adequate funding is the driver behind most of the issues in Ireland. More immigration from nationalities with low skills/education increases the demands on the welfare state, taking monies away from other services. (It been shown many times in this thread, that immigration from certain groups, simply places them at the bottom of socio-economics, in comparison to other immigrant groups).

Immigrants from Africa and other poor areas, are often suffering from ailments left over from their time in their own countries. Malnutrition, damage done by various diseases, etc all of which increase the demands on the health service, in addition to a lack of education about personal hygiene or the customs of their own nation (brought with them to western nations), weaken them further, to culminate with increased need for medical care. Then, we can also throw in the host of Psychological conditions that are growing more common, in addition to those suffering from post-trauma stress. All contributing to increased demands on a sector which was under strain before mass immigration was a serious consideration.

And while we can hope that migrants will be working in positions which allow them to pay for their own healthcare, the truth is that a large percentage end up on low waged jobs with temporary contracts, and no reliable skillset to allow them the social mobility to attain higher positions. Instead, the focus is on their children reaching their majority, being educated here, and hopefully, staying in Ireland to gain employment, and start paying back the costs accrued by the overall family... after a decade or two.

Most of the list you provided is directly connected to economics, and Ireland, as a small country, with a limited economic base, and an economy that is firmly focused on skilled labor, means that many of those who have immigrated here are not equipped to work.. that's assuming that they have a decent command of the English language, which, unfortunately, is often not the case. The language requirements for professional level English is often beyond the reach of many migrants who were educated to learn French or another language.

The problem with your opinion is that you're entirely too focused on dismissing the concerns relating to immigration. An increased population seems like a good thing, except that they need to be provided for, and we're already failing to meet the needs of the native population. We haven't solved the problems with those at the bottom of the socio-economic scale, such as those on minimum wage, or lower end working class. We haven't solved the social friction that is happening with teenagers in many parts of Ireland. And we haven't solved the issue of rising costs across the whole country, such as doctor consultations, which can range from 50 euro a visit. It's nuts the costs that have been allowed to rise in this country, but rather than deal with the problems as they stand, we're told that immigration is good. More people to further exasperate the costs, and demands on services. Services that already can't properly cater for the existing population.

Immigration will become a growing concern for Irish people.. unfortunately it's likely to become important when it's already too late to do anything about it. That's the case of Europe's progression with immigration, including countries like us, that have only recently (last decade) become an attractive destination.

2004 was 16 years ago :rolleyes: and the referendum was on one very specific issue/loophole in the constitution, even I voted to close it.

So no evidence whatsoever that in 2020 immigration is a major concern in Ireland?? Even the populist Sinn Fein not get involved in the topic as they can clearly see the issue is not popular or even on radar of people.

My view and point remains, immigration is a very minor issue compared to about a dozen more serious problems/issues this country faces in 2020 and 2021

You do realise that policies are set by a tiny proportion of the population?.

When you think of how few TDs there are, do you even think all of them get an equal say in what policies to pursue?.

Just because it wasn't an election issue, doesn't mean people don't care about it.

There was a vote in the Dail on legalising Cannabis about six years ago.
    It was voted down by a ratio of about 99:1, do you think those numbers reflect the electorate?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

There is plenty of data to show that when migrants migrate from low emissions countries to high emissions countries there is a net global gain in emissions. Indeed there is good reason to think that moving people from the UK or Greece to Ireland result in a net increase to the globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

So no evidence whatsoever that in 2020 immigration is a major concern in Ireland?? Even the populist Sinn Fein not get involved in the topic as they can clearly see the issue is not popular or even on radar of people.

Sinn Fein manifesto for the February 2020 General Election said:
    “Sinn Féin does not want open borders. We believe that all States must manage migration”.

Sinn Fein got a big bounce during the election campaign, was the largest party by votes, and took seats away from FG and FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

paw patrol wrote: »
    In ireland we were fed the line 15-20 years ago about the doctors, engineers and programmers all coming from Africa to Ireland.

Which was actually quite a racist viewpoint in it's own right. In the true meaning of the term.

How are African countries ever to get off the ground if their brightest and best are over in the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin.

I believe they called it the 'war on talent'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Which was actually quite a racist viewpoint in it's own right. In the true meaning of the term.
    Actual racists and the right on are just as obsessed with race as each other and both are quick to roll out the group stereotypes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

klaz
    & Vieira82

If you can't be civil with each other, put each other on ignore.

Don't drag this thread off topic by locking horns again, or bans will be issued.

Multiple posts deleted

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    Not going to rehash the stats - i'm sure they have been shown elsewhere in this thread. recent housing lists published will also show a huge portion of foreign born people on the list, that's welfare not self sufficiency nor any superiority that you are claiming in your rant
    On those stats. Rate of unemployment among Africans in Ireland. Link to RTE. Report from the ESRI.

Black Africans recorded the highest unemployment rate (36 per cent), and were four times more likely to be unemployed than White Irish individuals.
    White individuals from the 'old' EU-13 Member States recorded the lowest unemployment rate at 9 per cent, followed by Asians at 12 per cent.
    Compared to White Irish Individuals, Black Africans and White EU NMS individuals were less likely to be high earners.
    Black Africans, Asians, Ethnic Minority EU, and White individuals from the UK and the 12 EU NMS were also less likely than White Irish nationals to work in professional and managerial occupations.

These stats are very relevant to the crux of this thread and there's no getting away from them and the same stats are mirrored throughout the multicultural West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Jaysus V, you don't seem to like the Irish much.

The Irish are great people, one of the most hardworking, strong and willed people I ever met, Not to mention, jolly and always with a good smile in face of adversity.. but like in every single kind of population in the world there are good and bad people in Ireland.

Implying that all Africans are diseased ravaged individuals that come here to to flood the health care and social benefits is exactly the same as what taking my words as a perception of all Irish...

Obviously this is not all Irish, just like not all Africans are diseased sloths coming here to ripping off benefits.

I moved to Ireland 10 years ago. The very first thing I heard from the relocation agent, a middle aged Irish lady, while driving down Shandon Street in Cork was "this is Shandon it's very bad for criminals, because it's filled with blacks"

I lived five years in Blackpool Cork, near Shandon, never was I afraid of any African person that live or work nearby. The locals on the other hand was another story. From insane screams in the night, massive fights in the streets and never one gardai (despite the nearby station)

I lived in Knocknaheeney for close to a year, despite the constant fights on the streets, trash bins burning, or random stuff happening that could only be described as disturbing the peace, never once I saw a Gardaí car on the streets, when trouble happened the good Irish would just hunker down in their homes while the bad where making fools of themselves outside

Never have I been threatened by an African person in Ireland, but I did see a bunch of kids screaming monkey noises at an African woman pushing her trolley with her baby in it. And god forbid you say something to those kids, as you'll be impacting their mental health... this if they don't turn on you to kick your ass...

I have the privilege of knowing quite a few business owners and employees that are Africans and also many Irish small business owners. One of those business owners, and Irish friend, had a hard time opening his business which was quite successful but the ridiculous stress of people trying to do insurance scams on him, or kids coming in and urinating everywhere just to get a reaction from him. From broad daylight assaults in front of his business, or drunkards coming in trying to kick a fuss. The cherry on top of the cake was the landlord "putting him in court" for something trivial (in fact the landlord just wanted to expel him as the building was sold to a multinational vulture fund) and again this never was done by Africans, Eastern Europeans or other place of the world, these where Irish people doing this.

In my country we do have a large African population from the ex colonies and you do see gangs of African youngster on the streets in higher numbers than non-Africans because there are many African social neighborhoods. So I grew up seeing those gangs on the streets, that actually do not exists in Ireland, the gang violence in Ireland is from Irish natives...

If you give the fact that there's African migrants in Ireland already for decades and you do not see this kind of gangs, it means they have integrated in Irish society and that is simply amazing to see such success in comparison with other countries where the second and third generation of African migrants end up in crime.

The fact this happens in Ireland means how welcomed migrants have been and this whole racial ideology is extremely recent and not a basic problem of Irish Society... I think it would be ideal for this to continue this way and not fall on the usual strawman fallacy that is so popular because of the likes of facebook and so on...

For a nation to go forward it's important to recognize it's problems and the problems in Ireland currently are not nearly related to multiculturalism or people coming in, but the fact the country is being "recolonized" this time not by the British but by massive corporations playing Monopoly with the housing market and Irish citizens credits... this all permitted by the successive governments that continue to whistle to the side...

My hands have been tied. I'll leave it to others to deal with this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭jmreire

2004 was 16 years ago :rolleyes: and the referendum was on one very specific issue/loophole in the constitution, even I voted to close it.

Maybe for now, the electorate have more to worry about than immigration, largely because compared to other Country's, we don't have much experience of it. But thats changing. By the time it does become problematic, and a election issue ( and believe me it will, ) it may have passed the point of no return, and then we will experience all the same problems that any Country who allowed uncontrolled immigration, especially Islamic immigration. The two cultures do not mix, and thats the simple fact of the matter. Sooner or later, as the % of Muslims increases, they will demand more and more that the host Country changes to suit their values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Vieira82 wrote: »
    The Irish are great people, one of the most hardworking, strong and willed people I ever met, Not to mention, jolly and always with a good smile in face of adversity.. but like in every single kind of population in the world there are good and bad people in Ireland.

Implying that all Africans are diseased ravaged individuals that come here to to flood the health care and social benefits is exactly the same as what taking my words as a perception of all Irish...

Obviously this is not all Irish, just like not all Africans are diseased sloths coming here to ripping off benefits.

I moved to Ireland 10 years ago. The very first thing I heard from the relocation agent, a middle aged Irish lady, while driving down Shandon Street in Cork was "this is Shandon it's very bad for criminals, because it's filled with blacks"

I lived five years in Blackpool Cork, near Shandon, never was I afraid of any African person that live or work nearby. The locals on the other hand was another story. From insane screams in the night, massive fights in the streets and never one gardai (despite the nearby station)

I lived in Knocknaheeney for close to a year, despite the constant fights on the streets, trash bins burning, or random stuff happening that could only be described as disturbing the peace, never once I saw a Gardaí car on the streets, when trouble happened the good Irish would just hunker down in their homes while the bad where making fools of themselves outside

Never have I been threatened by an African person in Ireland, but I did see a bunch of kids screaming monkey noises at an African woman pushing her trolley with her baby in it. And god forbid you say something to those kids, as you'll be impacting their mental health... this if they don't turn on you to kick your ass...

I have the privilege of knowing quite a few business owners and employees that are Africans and also many Irish small business owners. One of those business owners, and Irish friend, had a hard time opening his business which was quite successful but the ridiculous stress of people trying to do insurance scams on him, or kids coming in and urinating everywhere just to get a reaction from him. From broad daylight assaults in front of his business, or drunkards coming in trying to kick a fuss. The cherry on top of the cake was the landlord "putting him in court" for something trivial (in fact the landlord just wanted to expel him as the building was sold to a multinational vulture fund) and again this never was done by Africans, Eastern Europeans or other place of the world, these where Irish people doing this.

In my country we do have a large African population from the ex colonies and you do see gangs of African youngster on the streets in higher numbers than non-Africans because there are many African social neighborhoods. So I grew up seeing those gangs on the streets, that actually do not exists in Ireland, the gang violence in Ireland is from Irish natives...

If you give the fact that there's African migrants in Ireland already for decades and you do not see this kind of gangs, it means they have integrated in Irish society and that is simply amazing to see such success in comparison with other countries where the second and third generation of African migrants end up in crime.

The fact this happens in Ireland means how welcomed migrants have been and this whole racial ideology is extremely recent and not a basic problem of Irish Society... I think it would be ideal for this to continue this way and not fall on the usual strawman fallacy that is so popular because of the likes of facebook and so on...

For a nation to go forward it's important to recognize it's problems and the problems in Ireland currently are not nearly related to multiculturalism or people coming in, but the fact the country is being "recolonized" this time not by the British but by massive corporations playing Monopoly with the housing market and Irish citizens credits... this all permitted by the successive governments that continue to whistle to the side...

Well if you don't see them, they obviously don't exist.

I'd suggest a visit to Balbriggan, Ongar or other areas experiencing "white flight" and you'll see that these gangs do exist.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/pregnant-woman-threatened-gang-up-13545298

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/teen-boys-15-knifed-by-gang-of-youths-in-vicious-seaside-attacks-36188193.html

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/stabbing-video-balbriggan-gardai-dublinbreakingnews-18805023

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Nobody has stated this, this is you own perception of what was written.

Stop twisting their words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I think mental health is one of those problems

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

In my country we do have a large African population from the ex colonies ...and you do see gangs of African youngster on the streets in higher numbers than non-Africans because there are many African social neighborhoods. So I grew up seeing those gangs on the streets....

If you give the fact that there's African migrants in Ireland already for decades and you do not see this kind of gangs,

And therein is the problem.
    Imigration is a very recent issue in Ireland, in relatively small numbers, yet we see the manifestations of the failed multiculturalism experiment already.

That sullies your entire post tbh.

African gangs are all over north and west Dublin and also in places like Limerick and Cork. They've been running amok for a few years now but its never reported in the media. Just this Summer there have been many videos online of African gangs attacking lone Irish youths and beating the lard out of them. One video was in Cork where an Irish teen was lying in a pool of blood while the Africans repeatedly stabbed him. I'm amazed he survived.

I suggest you go and speak to the residents of Tyrellstown, Mulhuddart, Balbriggan etc to widen your knowledge Sir.

If you give the fact that there's African migrants in Ireland already for decades and you do not see this kind of gangs, it means they have integrated in Irish society and that is simply amazing....

Oh boy

• Advertisement

And therein is the problem.
    Imigration is a very recent issue in Ireland, in relatively small numbers, yet we see the manifestations of the failed multiculturalism experiment already.
    Sadly so. There isn't a single example of any multicultural nation in Europe, nay the West where the same stratification along racial lines isn't in play. And that stratification roughly goes from the top Local White natives, East Asians and Indians(actually they often do better than the locals), Middle Easterners, Africans.

Does this mean there aren't successful Africans that aren't a boon to the country? Of course not. I know a couple myself. Does this mean Irish natives are all great contributors? Of course not, I also know enough wasters. But the fact remains this stratification will continue and lead to less social cohesiveness in Irish society, just like it has everywhere else and no amount of hopes and platitudes will change that.
    Vieira82 wrote:
    the problems in Ireland currently are not nearly related to multiculturalism or people coming in, but the fact the country is being "recolonized" this time not by the British but by massive corporations playing Monopoly with the housing market and Irish citizens credits
    You do realise that those some massive corporations are extremely keen on multiculturalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

African gangs are all over north and west Dublin and also in places like Limerick and Cork. They've been running amok for a few years now but its never reported in the media. Just this Summer there have been many videos online of African gangs attacking lone Irish youths and beating the lard out of them. One video was in Cork where an Irish teen was lying in a pool of blood while the Africans repeatedly stabbed him. I'm amazed he survived.

I suggest you go and speak to the residents of Tyrellstown, Mulhuddart, Balbriggan etc to widen your knowledge Sir.

I work in that area (pre covid) and the amount of ghettoization (inventing that word) is shocking. There's a real problem - and I cant beleive mr Vieira does not see that as a problem.

Well if you don't see them, they obviously don't exist.

Still...
    For a nation to go forward it's important to recognize it's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sadly so. There isn't a single example of any multicultural nation in Europe, nay the West where the same stratification along racial lines isn't in play. And that stratification roughly goes from the top Local White natives, East Asians and Indians(actually they often do better than the locals), Middle Easterners, Africans.

Does this mean there aren't successful Africans that aren't a boon to the country? Of course not. I know a couple myself. Does this mean Irish natives are all great contributors? Of course not, I also know enough wasters. But the fact remains this stratification will continue and lead to less social cohesiveness in Irish society, just like it has everywhere else and no amount of hopes and platitudes will change that.

You do realise that those some massive corporations are extremely keen on multiculturalism?
    That;s a great description actually.
    If you look to England as an example, they had inward migration for decades before us. There are now the exact segments in the exact socio economic stratuses that you mention.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I work in that area (pre covid) and the amount of ghettoization (inventing that word) is shocking. There's a real problem - and I cant beleive mr Vieira does not see that as a problem.

I suspect for all his bluster he lives relatively cocooned from it all.

ELM327 wrote: »
    That;s a great description actually.
    If you look to England as an example, they had inward migration for decades before us. There are now the exact segments in the exact socio economic stratuses that you mention.
    Same in France, Germany(they're somewhat an outlier as German Turks are near the bottom too), Spain, Italy. Same in the US, Canada, Brazil. Wherever you look, it's pretty much the same pattern everywhere when non or low skilled migrant labour is in play.

It's not the same where lower volume legal and qualified labour is involved. Go into any big hospital in the cities and you'll find quite the number of African folks and others of all hues and faiths in professional positions, doing very well thanks very much.

The problem is in the Celtic Tiger we had a large chunk of largely unskilled economic migrants who were here illegally or quasi legally and Labour now want to reverse the ruling that reduced that and the minister for justice wants to make legal thousands of illegals living here.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Nobody has stated this, this is you own perception of what was written.

Stop twisting their words.

It was on the post you removed I did not notice it until later or I would not have replied back with that, apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

This could easily have gone into the Covid threads.

Cork man in court over alleged fraudulent PUP claims.

It seems to be relating to this investigation of €165,000 in (allegedly) fraudulent PUP claims which Gardai believe will not be recovered.

Yay diversity.

Oh and before anybody starts with all the but the Irish scangers and criminals are worse, much worse*. They may be, but you won't find anyone on here defending them. This is an example of a negative side of multiculturalism, one that it's defenders and adherents don't wish to acknowledge. But the fact is that this money is money we're going to have to pay back either in higher taxes, cutbacks and less services all the while more people are coming in and demanding access to those services, so pushing others to the back of the queue.

*Or any of the other usual deflections we see whenever something is raised that certain parties don't want to acknowledge so bring up things like but the IRA / The Irish travelled all over the world so we owe it to the world to let everyone immigrate here / The Irish are so racist / The Irish are inbred and need some foreign blood etc. I think I have them all, but I'm sure if I've missed some people will tell me.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

No it doesn't because I'm talking about thousands upon thousands of people both african and of european descent leaving massive countries like Mozambique and Angola en mass to a tiny country like Portugal all in the space of two years to escape the civil wars.

The influx of people was massive and all of them into shanty towns that took the govs decades to remove and relocate those populations. Thankfully there is much more integration now and less crime but growing up in the 80s and 90s in some parts of Lisbon, Porto and Faro you'd be lucky not to find blatant crimes being practice like broad daylight heavy drug use, drug trafficking, prostitution and gang fights.

Things are much better and if you think what you see in Ireland from these comunities is bad you honestly have no clue.

Also it was said here these "groups" of Africans in certain parts of Dublin. Please do show proof these Africans are comitting crimes. Though you'd be surprise how easy it is to find on youtube videos of people being abused by fair skinned irish teenagers.

Please also adress how the increased drug problem in Ireland has a connection with these minorities as it seems that everytime you hear it on the news is all Irish gangs and Irish lads being killed in it...

Or are you implying there's an African kingpin behind the gangland crimes of the last few years? :D

• Advertisement

Marcos wrote: »
    This could easily have gone into the Covid threads.

Cork man in court over alleged fraudulent PUP claims.

It seems to be relating to this investigation of €165,000 in (allegedly) fraudulent PUP claims which Gardai believe will not be recovered.

Yay diversity.

Oh and before anybody starts with all the but the Irish scangers and criminals are worse, much worse*. They may be, but you won't find anyone on here defending them. This is an example of a negative side of multiculturalism, one that it's defenders and adherents don't wish to acknowledge. But the fact is that this money is money we're going to have to pay back either in higher taxes, cutbacks and less services all the while more people are coming in and demanding access to those services, so pushing others to the back of the queue.

*Or any of the other usual deflections we see whenever something is raised that certain parties don't want to acknowledge so bring up things like but the IRA / The Irish travelled all over the world so we owe it to the world to let everyone immigrate here / The Irish are so racist / The Irish are inbred and need some foreign blood etc. I think I have them all, but I'm sure if I've missed some people will tell me.

that's not cherrypicking at all is it? With the amount of crimes daily on the examiner focusing on THIS issue because of the dudes skin color. Would you be sharing this in the same way if he was white? I highly doubt it :D

Advertisement