Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Heard Ebun Joseph on Newstalk yesterday morning around 7am bit after, saying irish schools are encouraging racism by teaching history which in turn teaches white supremacy, tbf the guy interviewer pulled her up on that allegation, about time somebody had the balls to, don't mean to be harsh but she comes across as very low on the intellect scale. She wants African history taught here and anti racism courses for all teachers and students(presumably courses taught by her), incredible people give her the time of day. People like her if given enough air time will create division and problems where none exist.

She is a moron, independent of her colour, which I could care less about. A compete moron (or an intentionally dangerous dog whistler)

A moron indulged by our media.

Shed be high on the list go get anti racism training (which I am sure her new "consultancy" would provide)

There is no discussion because you didn't take the time to consider what was written. Just as the person from Portugal did with my post. Just seeking something to be outraged over.

Ah no, I did consider what was written.
    I still think the poster was wrong in what he post.
    Ate you going to tell me I'm wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-newstalk-breakfast/page/2

I just listened to it. Less than 5 painful minutes of rubbish.

Teachers should have anti racism training
    University lecturers should have anti racism training
    Students should have anti racism training
    The entire curriculum should be changed
    Teaching European history is promoting white supremacy

Wonder where I could get a book in all of this? Or even better, where could I hire a Diversity & Career Consultant to help me with these topics?
    Imagine a job title like Diversity Consultant. Jesus wept.

Follow the money people ................ always follow the money.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Ate you going to tell me I'm wrong?
    "So, it's all non Irish living here you have a problem with then.
    At least you're consistent."

Based on what you wrote? Yes, I can say, without a shadow of doubt, that you were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Point out what’s wrong in my post. ‘You think’ does not an argument make ‘bubblypop’.

For the record, I lived in Germany for as long as that poster has lived here. I’m fairly senior in what I do any paid tens of thousands of Euros in tax to the German exchequer.

Never once did it occur to me to have the audacity to lecture Germans on their immigration policy or the future demographic composition of their country. I’m not German, I never will be and have no right to insert myself in their affairs, regardless of what my opinions are on Chancellor Merkel’s decision to open the borders and dispense with the Dublin convention in 2015.

Ireland doesn’t have a colonial past like Portugal, nor do we have the painful history of Germany. We’re fully entitled to have a robust debate on immigration and push back against the follies of a flawed politic like multiculturalism.

People like you aren’t going to silence the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hamachi wrote: »
    Point out what’s wrong in my post. ‘You think’ does not an argument make ‘bubblypop’.

For the record, I lived in Germany for as long as that poster has lived here. I’m fairly senior in what I do any paid tens of thousands of Euros in tax to the German exchequer.

Never once did it occur to me to have the audacity to lecture Germans on their immigration policy or the future demographic composition of their country. I’m not German, I never will be and have no right to insert myself in their affairs, regardless of what my opinions are on Chancellor Merkel’s decision to open the borders and dispense with the Dublin convention in 2015.

Ireland doesn’t have a colonial past like Portugal, nor do we have the painful history of Germany. We’re fully entitled to have a robust debate on immigration and push back against the follies of a flawed politic like multiculturalism.

Mod:

Another personalised post like the start of the one above and you won't be posting in this thread again.

Post in a civil manner and you can discuss the matter all day till the cows come home if you like

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Another personalised post like the start of the one above and you won't be posting in this thread again.

Post in a civil manner and you can discuss the matter all day till the cows come home if you like

Got it. Confirming that I’ll refrain from engaging with that poster on this topic going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seeing your username Hamachi reminded me of this video.

The Japanese has a very strict justice system, some may say diabolical, but it works to make Japan one of the safest countries on earth.
    It really pays to not break the law there.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

This says it all really. You have to wonder about the motivations of those who want to stop Irish people having the cheek to debate immigration policy in Ireland. Would they be so sanguine about Irish people going to the likes of Germany, Portugal or elsewhere and telling them what they can and can't debate? I doubt it.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Marcos wrote: »
    Would they be so sanguine about Irish people going to the likes of Germany, Portugal or elsewhere and telling them what they can and can't debate? I doubt it.

Indeed. If Irish people were foolish enough to insert themselves into a crucial national conversation of another country, they would be told where to go pretty sharpish.

There’s a mindset out there that because somebody has paid a few euros into the exchequer, they have an intrinsic right to lecture the natives on what’s good for them. What this mindset is incapable of acknowledging is that European natives have roots that go back centuries and are rarely willing to entertain the critique of relative newcomers.

It’s why that hysteric, Ebun Joseph, is ultimately destined for obscurity.

• Advertisement

Dunno.. I think she'll do well for a decade or two before she gets pushed out.

There's just too much support for the diversity, identity politics, white guilt, and the need for racism to exist. It's present in RTE on both TV and Radio. It's pretty common in our national newspapers... and worse yet, it's common throughout our political system. It's got too much support from official sources for it to be dropped any time soon... at least not without some serious pressure from a 'greater' source (the EU, or massive public anger).

This year, alone, I've seen too many ads pushing the racial angle, and the "new Irish"... so.. yeah, I suspect she's going to be around for a long time yet.

Unless we get some kind of national tragedy that can be traced to the pushers of this racism gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

There's just too much support for the diversity, identity politics, white guilt, and the need for racism to exist. It's present in RTE on both TV and Radio. It's pretty common in our national newspapers... and worse yet, it's common throughout our political system. It's got too much support from official sources for it to be dropped any time soon... at least not without some serious pressure from a 'greater' source (the EU, or massive public anger).

Usually you need to make a shed load from the industry. In this case 'diversity'. Remember all of this stuff costs money, which is passed on to the consumer. It's never free.

Then when the country is too far gone, and there is eventually an outcry 'why didn't anyone shout stop', 'we should be protected from ourselves' you make another packet consulting on how to clean up the mess.

We've seen it like this so many times before. Make money creating a problem, or perceived problem, and then flog them the cure.

Indeed. If Irish people were foolish enough to insert themselves into a crucial national conversation of another country, they would be told where to go pretty sharpish.

There’s a mindset out there that because somebody has paid a few euros into the exchequer, they have an intrinsic right to lecture the natives on what’s good for them. What this mindset is incapable of acknowledging is that European natives have roots that go back centuries and are rarely willing to entertain the critique of relative newcomers.

Just because someone has paid a few euros into the exchequer?
    Do people living in this country paying taxes not have some say into the day to day running of the country?
    I'm living in this country 30ish years, working and paying taxes, do I have any say?

Just because someone has paid a few euros into the exchequer?
    Do people living in this country paying taxes not have some say into the day to day running of the country?
    I'm living in this country 30ish years, working and paying taxes, do I have any say?

For myself, that depends. Are you now Irish, or have you retained your external citizenship? If you've commited to living in a country, then you should have a say.. now.. whether other people have to listen, is a different matter entirely. However, simply as a taxpayer, but not a citizen? I'd say your opinions counts for less.

But yeah, you do have a say.... TBH everyone does. The point he's making is that often with other nationalities (about their countries) you would be told quickly that your viewpoints were not wanted.

He's not actually saying you have no right to an opinion on the topic. He's pointing out a double standard that often exists.

The point he's making is that often with other nationalities (about their countries) you would be told quickly that your viewpoints were not wanted.

He's not actually saying you have no right to an opinion on the topic. He's pointing out a double standard that often exists.

Amazing that you actually needed to reiterate that explicitly, but there ya go...

:D

Amazing that you actually needed to reiterate that explicitly, but there ya go...

No, he doesn't need to say anything. You do however. Do you think I have any say I now this country is run? I'm here over 30 years.
    Do other people have any say in how this country is run?
    What do you think should be the rule? Who gets a voice? Anyone who gets a vote? Anyone who pays taxes? How long should they pay taxes before they get a say?
    How long should anyone's taxes be paid before they take effect?

For myself, that depends. Are you now Irish, or have you retained your external citizenship? If you've commited to living in a country, then you should have a say.. now.. whether other people have to listen, is a different matter entirely. However, simply as a taxpayer, but not a citizen? I'd say your opinions counts for less.

But yeah, you do have a say.... TBH everyone does. The point he's making is that often with other nationalities (about their countries) you would be told quickly that your viewpoints were not wanted.

People can hold more than one passport and more than one citizenship.
    But why should anyone pay huge money to become a citizen of Ireland?

No, he doesn't need to say anything. You do however. Do you think I have any say I now this country is run? I'm here over 30 years.
    Do other people have any say in how this country is run?
    What do you think should be the rule? Who gets a voice? Anyone who gets a vote? Anyone who pays taxes? How long should they pay taxes before they get a say?
    How long should anyone's taxes be paid before they take effect?

See Klaz’s response.

But why should anyone pay huge money to become a citizen of Ireland?
    I would expect someone who moved here to have enough grá for the place to become a citizen.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    I would expect someone who moved here to have enough grá for the place to become a citizen.

What’s more disturbing is the comment about the perceived exorbitant cost of taking out Irish citizenship.

Really highlights how little value that individual places on something that’s a true privilege.

What’s that old adage of knowing the price of everything, but understanding the value of nothing?

Ah will ya stop!
    I wouldn't in a fit pay thousands if euros to pay to be a citizen!! Why would ya?

See Klaz’s response.

You don't have any opinion?
    Should I have a say in how this country is run?
    What do you think?

Ah will ya stop!
    I wouldn't in a fit pay thousands if euros to pay to be a citizen!! Why would ya?

And that says it all..

You don't have any opinion?
    Should u have a say in how this country is run?
    What do you think?

I have no opinion. I’m happy to defer to our benevolent dictator, the esteemed Klaz.

And that says it all..

Says what exactly?

Says what exactly?

How little value you place on the privilege of Irish citizenship.

Ah will ya stop!
    I suppose the concept of national pride and the sense of belonging is lost on you.

Me, if I moved to France with the intention to remain there decades I'd very vigorously learn the language, the customs, and get myself a citizenship so even though I was not French by birth I'd make my damndest to fit in and take pride in my new country.

I suppose the concept of national pride and the sense of belonging is lost on you.

Me, if I moved to France with the intention to remain there decades I'd very vigorously learn the language, the customs, and get myself a citizenship so even though I was not French by birth I'd make my damndest to fit in and take pride in my new country.

As would anybody who is committed to their new home and with whom the concept of the ‘family of the nation’ resonates.

Of course, this notion is alien to some. As you say, they simply have no comprehension of identity and belonging.

• Advertisement

How little value you place on the privilege of Irish citizenship.

Why would I put any privilege of Irish citizenship?
    What would being an Irish citizen to for me?

Advertisement