Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bubblypop wrote: »
    Well that's not actually accurate. But you know that!

So, how many Irish people in Ireland are foreign born?

Well it is, documentation aside, if somebody is born of two polish parents here, doesnt matter if they were born in warsaw or wicklow, theyre still polish

biko wrote: »
    biko, googling things for others since 2005

And when it comes to bubblypop, you'll be continuing to do so until the end of time itself. You don't really think he's/she's going to accept this, do you?

Another vague question, possibly combined with a deflection, will be forthcoming shortly. :pac:

Well it is, documentation aside, if somebody is born of two polish parents here, doesnt matter if they were born in warsaw or wicklow, theyre still polish

Yep, and someone born to Irish parents in some other country is Irish

And when it comes to bubblypop, you'll be continuing to do so until the end of time itself. You don't really think he's/she's going to accept this, do you?

Another vague question, possibly combined with a deflection, will be forthcoming shortly. :pac:

I deflect nothing.
    Really simple question. A poster here (maybe you? I don't remember) stated that we have 20% foreign born people in Ireland.
    All I asked was how many of those 20% are Irish.
    No-one seemed to be able to answer. So, not me for deflection!!

How is it going with your unclear question, still no answer I see.

Did you try the google machine?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/number-with-dual-irish-nationality-soars-by-nearly-90-1.3229081

While I really appreciate your sarcasm, not everyone foreign born are dual nationality. Some foreign born people are just Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe one day bubbly you will find the answer to your question.

Back to topic, I wonder how this went
    I am a Nigerian priest who came to Dublin from Rome a couple of weeks ago to study. Shortly after my arrival in Dublin I was asked: "Are you a refugee?" I replied: "No, I am not, I am a Nigerian".

It was then I learned that a large number of Nigerians are in Ireland as asylum-seekers or refugees. I met a few who, not realising that like them I am Nigerian, spoke freely of their country's "woes". I wondered whether it is the same Nigeria we are talking about.

Based on what they said, I challenge those Nigerians parading themselves as political or religious asylum-seekers in Ireland to a public debate on what has caused them to flee to these shores.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/nigerians-who-pose-as-refugees-are-doing-a-disservice-to-themselves-and-their-country-1.1259072

(maybe you? I don't remember)

It wasn't me.. and it's, what... a page ago? and you posted a reply to their statement. How can you not know who you're conversing with?

Utterly bizarre attitude to enter a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/nigerians-who-pose-as-refugees-are-doing-a-disservice-to-themselves-and-their-country-1.1259072

No danger of that Priest being interviewed on the Late Late Show or any of the radio shows, but the give plenty of airtime to the other Nigerian Ebun Joseph to spout her racist Irish views.

It wasn't me.. and it's, what... a page ago? and you posted a reply to their statement. How can you not know who you're conversing with?

Utterly bizarre attitude to enter a discussion.

If other posters ignore questions when asked, then it is them who cannot hold a discussion.

If other posters ignore questions when asked, then it is them who cannot hold a discussion.

I just want to quote this for the sheer irony after having to drag our collective balls across broken glass to get not even a half acceptable answer to the muslim lgbt pride parades you attended.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    With 20% of our population born outside the country, the speed of the change of our demographic is damaging in so many ways ..........

So, in what way is the demographic changing?
    How many of the 20% foreign born are irish and in what way does that change the demographic?

Of course I shouldn't expect any straight answers from anyone here!

I just want to quote this for the sheer irony after having to drag our collective balls across broken glass to get not even a half acceptable answer to the muslim lgbt pride parades you attended.

You were told time and again.

You were told time and again.

‘The balkans’ is not a country. You made it up, thats ok , bur stop chastising users for not answering questions when you yourself are the first one to deflect or ignore a straight question, or as above, give the vaugest possible answer so nobody can possibly verify.

Of course I shouldn't expect any straight answers from anyone here!

haha... you've got them plenty of times. They just didn't match what you wanted to see.

haha... you've got them plenty of times. They just didn't match what you wanted to see.

Perhaps posters here have difficulty with simple questions!
    Not one single answer to a simple question of how many of the 20% foreign born people living here are Irish?

Because no one knows the answer or it does not suit them

Perhaps posters here have difficulty with simple questions!

Then, perhaps, you shouldn't shift goalposts so much? You got your answers, including Biko providing links, but.. that's not good enough for you.

But I'll leave it at that because I suspect I'll get a warning soon for pointing this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

That kind of article would never be published nowadays.
    Lest someone might get offended. Or pretend to be

That kind of article would never be published nowadays.
    Lest someone might get offended. Or pretend to be

Or a diluted version of it published with commentary from someone in NGO dreamland.

Just like that story the times did which was 6 paragraphs of john connors saying how awful it was that kids were woken up by armed gardai masked and how raiding a haulting site was discrimination ... then the last paragraph reveals they seized tools, drugs, sawnoff shotguns and arrested multiple people for evading warrants,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sardonicat wrote: »
    By vaccinating people who live in very close proximity in conditions where they cannot socially distance you are reducing the risk of an outbreak that will spread to the wider community. Its not prioritising people, its slowing and reducing the spread of the virus by targettibg environments where it spreads rapidly and puts the wider community at risk.

You'll get the same effect by deporting the people who should not be here

Then, perhaps, you shouldn't shift goalposts so much? You got your answers, including Biko providing links, but.. that's not good enough for you.

But I'll leave it at that because I suspect I'll get a warning soon for pointing this out.

No, that was not an answer.
    Dual citizens in Ireland are not necessarily born here.
    So, again, for the 5th or 6th time!
    How many foreign born people in Ireland are Irish?

It's almost like people don't want to answer this question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,651 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How is it going with your unclear question, still no answer I see.

Did you try the google machine?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/number-with-dual-irish-nationality-soars-by-nearly-90-1.3229081

Lol

Considering what happened to the last poster (Hamachi) who attempted to engage in a decent conversation with you... are you really surprised that they don't want to answer?

Since an answer won't end anything, and there will be more questions. So.. Yeah. I suspect people here are stepping lightly around you.

Being an Irish citizen and being born in Ireland are not the same thing, there are thousands who are naturalised and no more or less Irish than you or me.

I suspect most if not all Polish people who came around dozen year’s ago and stuck around are entitled to citizenship by now. But like the British people here never bothered (tho many of those are now due to brexit)

I suspect the passport office might have statistics

Oh I know that, being foreign born myself. Posters on here though don't seem to understand what they are arguing against half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Being an Irish citizen and being born in Ireland are not the same thing, there are thousands who are naturalised and no more or less Irish than you or me.

I suspect most if not all Polish people who came around dozen year’s ago and stuck around are entitled to citizenship by now. But like the British people here never bothered (tho many of those are now due to brexit)

I suspect the passport office might have statistics

Most of the Polish people I know who are entitled to citizenship took it, all well integrated and productive members of society, married to natives and rearing little micks but if you walked up and asked them what they were they'd all still say "Polish".

Compare that to the group of New Irish I was watching bating the tar out of each other in an apartment block stairwell as I took my nightly constitutional yesterday and you can see the difference. Maybe they were just excited about the 6 in a row. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How do anti multiculturalism posters think the island will ever be United if there is no welcome and further acceptance of all the differences?
    Do you want a united Ireland?

If we cannot even unite two very close cultures, how do you think we will be able to unite with cultures that are way more dissimilar than Protestantism?
    I think your dream is nice but it's not realistic.
    Your dream will sow division and tension into Irish society. In fact it already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,442 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s clear reading this thread that there is a lack of understanding of difference culture and citizenship.

It took acceptance of multiple cultures and religions to bring peace to this small island of Ireland and to extend citizenship to everyone from this island and then some more.

How do anti multiculturalism posters think the island will ever be United if there is no welcome and further acceptance of all the differences?

I am proud to be Irish and a citizen of a republic, racists dog whistles and “concerns” over culture and Brexiteer-like arguments ring hollow to me and only further divide us. Feck that!

Differences are not the issue. Opening up borders, offering services, cash, accommodation, medical treatments.. etc.. which have all been and will have to be continued paid for by the Irish taxpayers at the expense of us having access to rehabilitative hospital treatments, better public transport, more Gardai... I’m not accepting of that situation, sorry. Xx country and it’s people in the shït.. sort yourselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

It’s clear reading this thread that there is a lack of understanding of difference culture and citizenship.

It took acceptance of multiple cultures and religions to bring peace to this small island of Ireland and to extend citizenship to everyone from this island and then some more.

I am proud to be Irish and a citizen of a republic, racists dog whistles and “concerns” over culture and Brexiteer-like arguments ring hollow to me and only further divide us. Feck that!

I don't think there is any confusion at all about the difference between culture and citizenship.

The state can sell Irish passports all it wants to the Getty's and their ilk. That only makes people like that Irish citizens, or perhaps US-tax-avoiders. But it doesn't make them Irish, because they aren't.

It's hard to believe that after umpteen pages of discussion, you still haven't grasped what 'multiculturalism' really is.

If only it were the childish diversion you imagine - lots and lots of different people from all over the place, saving us from 'further divide' with their cuisine.

Hardly. A few posters have engaged in discussion about the "meaning" of citizenship, and they're not representatives of the people who haven't participated.

In any case, citizenship, for me, is a legal definition, and one relatively easily acquired. Integration, and culture are entirely different.

Rubbish. It took a brutal civil war, and a gradual progression away from our past, to bring about that acceptance. Extending citizenship to those from outside of Ireland had nothing to do with it.

Ahh well, some of us (not that I accept the "anti-multiculturalism label. You obviously have issues with understanding nuance) , don't believe that a United Ireland is possible within our lifetimes, and is not something we should be seeking until we see greater changes in the society/culture of Northern Ireland. There are too many divisions, and hatreds involved, and I'd prefer that they sorted that mess out rather than dragging the rest of us in there with them.

I am completely bemused, though, by your attempts to link the unification of Ireland with multiculturalism.. since it's obvious that the issues posters have, are with cultural groups who are completely different from ours, and don't have any common historical development.

But I understand it's an attempt to ignore all that has been said and revert to arguments that have already been covered...

I'm proud to be Irish too. As for racist dog whistles, care to point me at which posts would be covered under that description? Where has all the talk been about dividing Irish people?

In fact, care to show me that integration of migrant groups have been an overwhelming success, and that those concerns expressed on this thread, are actually dividing people, rather than showing up the divisions that already exist?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

It's hard to believe that after umpteen pages of discussion, you still haven't grasped what 'multiculturalism' really is.
    We don't have multiculturalism, we have a plural society. Different ethnic groups keeping to themselves and building up their own communities.

• Advertisement

No, that was not an answer.
    Dual citizens in Ireland are not necessarily born here.
    So, again, for the 5th or 6th time!
    How many foreign born people in Ireland are Irish?

Fill your boots

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8e/

You might need to reframe your question though - it makes no sense

Advertisement