Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

enricoh wrote: »
    I wonder will many of our esteemed tds be tweeting about this attack in our multicultural balbriggan, I doubt it. Lucky girl. The local sinn fein td hasn't but commented that she wants the angelus scrapped. No doubt a more pressing concern to the towns residents.

https://amp.independent.ie/news/three-hooded-teenagers-attack-young-mother-with-knife-as-she-walks-in-park-39977638.html
    The situation in this town is getting out of hand and I don't want my daughters growing up here in the way it is at the minute.

Have you got details of the ethnicity of the attackers or are you just jumping to conclusions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Effects wrote: »
    The system was loaded in favour of the white man for hundreds of years. White men got all the handouts and benefits. You just don't understand how what has happened in the past, shapes the present and future.

You realise that 99% of white men in history were working dusk until dawn in fields and factories with zero employment rights or healthcare or any of that ****?

They were dropping dead in their droves.

"White men got all the handouts and benefits" - lol what are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Have you got details of the ethnicity of the attackers or are you just jumping to conclusions?

Ballbriggan plus hoods plus knives?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah, run 'blud' is a term the local travellers use I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Culture is a load of bullsh*t, nothing more than an excuse to justify something that should not be allowed. Look at coursing here, we're one of the only countries in the EU that still allows that sh*t, all in the name of 'culture'. The same with bull fighting and the running of the bulls in Spain. Or Japan and whaling. Or how women are treated basically as objects in certain 'sects' and seen as inferior. "But it's all grand, because it's culture!" F*ck culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Culture is more than that but yeah, it's one expression.

When you invite other cultures into Ireland you get their culture into Ireland too. Honour killings, female/male genital mutilation, etc
    They keep their cultures within their own communities but they also affect us directly, like young girls dressing ok according to our culture but not to theirs gets assaulted.

Adult sex education classes have been running in Norway for several years
    But since attacks on women in Cologne, demand has risen across Europe
    Migrants are being taught appropriate behaviour towards Western women
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3411869/Just-kisses-doesn-t-mean-wants-sex-Inside-migrant-sex-education-classes-sweeping-Europe-clamp-attacks-women-Cologne-organiser-admits-violent-men-NEVER-change.html

This is not cultures we should invite here. Every attack is partly to blame on the people invited the attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

biko wrote: »

When you invite other cultures into Ireland you get their culture into Ireland too. Honour killings, female/male genital mutilation, etc
    They keep their cultures within their own communities but they also affect us directly, like young girls dressing ok according to our culture but not to theirs gets assaulted.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3411869/Just-kisses-doesn-t-mean-wants-sex-Inside-migrant-sex-education-classes-sweeping-Europe-clamp-attacks-women-Cologne-organiser-admits-violent-men-NEVER-change.html

This is not cultures we should invite here. Every attack is partly to blame on the people invited the attackers.

Agree totally with you, this is why from the very beginings of human history there was tribal gatherings, city states and now modern countries, we do our way and they do their way, basically each to their own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

I can’t post the link but it’s Googlable - Nigerian NHS Doctor struck off for bateing the ****e out of his ten year old kid with a broom handle.

Gets his job back after they accept it was his “cultural upbringing”.

First do no harm?? Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The system was loaded in favour of the white man for hundreds of years. White men got all the handouts and benefits. You just don't understand how what has happened in the past, shapes the present and future.

Most of the white Irish men who immigrated, when they put there hand out, they were given a shovel or pickaxe, and were glad to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

theguzman wrote: »
    Most people in Ireland have no idea about Nigeria or what the country is like, Nigeria is an artificial construct, it is not a natural country like Ireland is, it is several distinct ethnic groups lumped in together and expected to play happy families under the one false flag. In the North you have sahel Muslims who every so often go on a killing spree against Christians, in the South you have Igbo people who unsuccesfully tried to breakaway in the shortlived Biafra state, the yoruba people to the west form the most pwerful christian ethnic group. It is a country which should not exist and is still suffering the after effects of Colonialism.

The Republic of Ireland is not a "natural country" either, have you not seen the border! Anyway what you say about Nigeria is equally true about 18th century France or 19th century Italy or the Austrian empire.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Indeed. If someone from Nigeria specifically pulls that slaver nonsense point out to them that Nigeria AKA The Slave Coast had slavery as part and parcel of their culture and economy long before any Europeans showed up and long after the same Europeans outlawed the practice, right up until the 1940's along the traditional lines and it continues today to be a place where slavery still goes on. So a Black person from Nigeria is by quite a ways far more likely to have ancestors that benefited from that foul practice than a White Irish person.

Well, here's some food for thought.

Regarding slavery to the "New world":

"The most comprehensive analysis of shipping records over the course of the slave trade is the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, edited by professors David Eltis and David Richardson. (While the editors are careful to say that all of their figures are estimates, I believe that they are the best estimates that we have, the proverbial “gold standard” in the field of the study of the slave trade.) Between 1525 and 1866, in the entire history of the slave trade to the New World, according to the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, 12.5 million Africans were shipped to the New World. 10.7 million survived the dreaded Middle Passage, disembarking in North America, the Caribbean and South America.

And how many of these 10.7 million Africans were shipped directly to North America? Only about 388,000. That’s right: a tiny percentage.
    "

Now, elsewhere:

"Author N'Diaye estimates that 17 million East Africans were sold into slavery: "Most people still have the so-called Transatlantic [slave] trade by Europeans into the New World in mind. But in reality the Arab-Muslim slavery was much greater," N'diaye said.

"Eight million Africans were brought from East Africa via the Trans-Saharan route to Morocco or Egypt. A further nine million were deported to regions on the Red Sea or the Indian Ocean
    .""

Still... apparently Africa had a population of around 50 million during this time period, so it's kind hard to understand how so many were shipped off to the New world, or the M.East, and still leave pretty significant populations behind. Unless, of course, it was the tribes that engaged in slavery that were the ones who stayed large.

All the same, yup.. anyone who harps on about slavery should be brought up on these kind of figures. I suspect many who seem so concerned about it, haven't really done much in the way research, except read books by authors already biased to present the issue a particular way.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I can’t post the link but it’s Googlable - Nigerian NHS Doctor struck off for bateing the ****e out of his ten year old kid with a broom handle.

Gets his job back after they accept it was his “cultural upbringing”.

First do no harm?? Sure.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9156551/Consultant-anaesthetist-struck-beating-10-year-old-son-gets-NHS-job-back.html

It's mad how we are supposed to airbrush out the amount of equivalent corporal punishment that was used here on young children two or three decades ago. Apparently our Western recent history is squeaky clean and it's only Nigerians who don't know any better. That is what is being communicated by the ruling and that is racist.

grassylawn wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9156551/Consultant-anaesthetist-struck-beating-10-year-old-son-gets-NHS-job-back.html

It's mad how we are supposed to airbrush out the amount of equivalent corporal punishment that was used here on young children two or three decades ago. Apparently our Western recent history is squeaky clean and it's only Nigerians who don't know any better. That is what is being communicated by the ruling and that is racist.

There doesn't seem to be much airbrushing of such history going on. We simply moved on, and decided to prevent any further behavior of that type. God help any Irish male who decided to do that now.. you really think he'd find much wiggle room to get out of it?

Every migrant should be held to the same standard as Irish people. IMHO, I really do think all migrants should be on probation for their first decade here until they can prove that they've adjusted to Irish values and it's laws. Failure to do so, should mean an immediate deportation, and a lifetime ban on returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Most of the white Irish men who immigrated, when they put there hand out, they were given a shovel or pickaxe, and were glad to get it

"And so the English welfare system solves problems for the Irish government but how long can it last and how long will the English man on the street put up with it?"

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1030-emigration-once-again/319381-irish-emigrants-in-london/

grassylawn wrote: »

I was taught by the Christian Brothers, not widely known for sparing the rod!

There’s a difference between a good hiding for misbehaving and the assault committed against this wee boy. The description is chilling.

And now that maniac gets to treat people.

There were no handouts and few benefits throughout most of history. Those benefits that did exist were held by a particularly small number of people compared to the whole. General poverty was widespread throughout all western nations, again, throughout most of history.

Your grasp/awareness of history makes me sad. How can you not know these things? Have a look at the lives of coal miners in the UK, or the US. Horrible.

mariaalice wrote: »
    "And so the English welfare system solves problems for the Irish government but how long can it last and how long will the English man on the street put up with it?"

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1030-emigration-once-again/319381-irish-emigrants-in-london/

You don’t see the difference between 30 quid a week in dole and the free stuff we’re giving out - like a free “own door” house after three months ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You don’t see the difference between 30 quid a week in dole and the free stuff we’re giving out - like a free “own door” house after three months ???

Your assertion was that Irish emigration never sought welfare when they emigrated. The is a lot more stuff I could find for you about the number of Irish people on welfare in London in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭NSAman

Your assertion was that Irish emigration never sought welfare when they emigrated. The is a lot more stuff I could find for you about the number of Irish people on welfare in London in the 1980s.

Move back to the 50s and 60s....how much welfare did Irish people in England recieve then?

Recent history is not the 1980s....just

My assertion? When did I make that assertion ?

• Advertisement

What are you on about? You think the USA was set up with equal status for whites and non whites?
    You need to do some research mate, you haven’t a clue what you are taking about.

Once again - we are not America.

I’m not humming Bowie and Pat Metheny!!!

If that’s what you want to believe, then that’s fine.
    But it’s a fairly ignorant statement for you to make, with nothing to back it up.

Or you could provide details of all these generous welfare schemes that the USA, Canada and Australia among others provided Irish emigrants.

I imagine to you Gangs of New York was a society party gone awry...

If that’s what you want to believe, then that’s fine.
    But it’s a fairly ignorant statement for you to make, with nothing to back it up.

You're the one making the claim that there were such benefits and handouts for white people. You back it up. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Once again - we are not America.

You don't need to reiterate your point as it's not relevant. Read the posts properly. I'm quoting a poster who is referring to the USA, who doesn't have any clue about the history of that country.

What's the point wasting my time quoting sources for you, when you've already shown you want to ignore history and reality?

Haha... Would you have any examples (where I have done so previously) that I want to ignore history and reality?

I disagreed with your statement. Your statement. You said it first, without providing any shred of evidence to support your point of view. So.. I'm not denying history. I'm denying something you claim to be true, and since you were the one to originally make the statement, the onus is on you to prove it.

Just admit that you spoke in ignorance, and we can move on with the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

biko wrote: »

How do you make that out? How is anyone else but the person who commits a criminal act responsible for that person’s behaviour?

That’s the sort of ‘guilt by association’ which is used by a tiny minority of people to argue that Irish society has a “rape culture” that should be addressed with, among other things - ‘consent classes’, similar to those mentioned in the article run by organisations of people are more concerned about foisting their political ideology on society than they are about any attempts to prevent people from committing rape or becoming victims of people who wish to commit rape.

It’s nothing more than virtue signalling nonsense, and attempting to hold people who disagree with them responsible for anyone who commits rape, are fairly transparent ‘guilt by association’ tactics.

Every migrant should be held to the same standard as Irish people. IMHO, I really do think all migrants should be on probation for their first decade here until they can prove that they've adjusted to Irish values and it's laws. Failure to do so, should mean an immediate deportation, and a lifetime ban on returning.

How is that holding every migrant to the same standard as Irish people? Migrants are already held to the same standard as Irish people in Irish law, in any country migrants are held to the same standard in law as everyone else in that country. You mentioned Sharia law in the UK earlier, but you didn’t explain what you meant by it. Sharia laws and councils have no legal standing in the UK, they aren’t recognised by Government and they are religious, not civil in nature. It would be like suggesting that people should be afraid, be very afraid, of Canon Law. Why would anyone who isn’t Catholic give a shyte about Canon Law? In the same way anyone who isn’t Muslim doesn’t need to get their knickers in a bunch about Sharia law -

Are Sharia Councils recognised under UK law?

They’re essentially like the kangaroo courts in some American institutions or groups like the IRA, and that’s why the same right to the presumption of innocence and due process and all those other rights which apply to everyone in society already, also apply to immigrants, which is why the idea of probation when they haven’t done anything to be on probation for, is a non-runner, as that wouldn’t be holding immigrants to the same standard as everyone else. It’s holding immigrants to a completely different standard - one where they are treated as though they have done something wrong, until they are able to prove themselves innocent of any wrongdoing.

How is that holding every migrant to the same standard as Irish people? Migrants are already held to the same standard as Irish people in Irish law, in any country migrants are held to the same standard in law as everyone else in that country. You mentioned Sharia law in the UK earlier, but you didn’t explain what you meant by it. Sharia laws and councils have no legal standing in the UK, they aren’t recognised by Government and they are religious, not civil in nature. It would be like suggesting that people should be afraid, be very afraid, of Canon Law. Why would anyone who isn’t Catholic give a shyte about Canon Law? In the same way anyone who isn’t Muslim doesn’t need to get their knickers in a bunch about Sharia law -

Are Sharia Councils recognised under UK law?

They’re essentially like the kangaroo courts in some American institutions or groups like the IRA, and that’s why the same right to the presumption of innocence and due process and all those other rights which apply to everyone in society already, also apply to immigrants, which is why the idea of probation when they haven’t done anything to be on probation for, is a non-runner, as that wouldn’t be holding immigrants to the same standard as everyone else. It’s holding immigrants to a completely different standard - one where they are treated as though they have done something wrong, until they are able to prove themselves innocent of any wrongdoing..

OEJ. Sorry, but I'm not doing this again with you. Islam is not the same as Catholicism. Just as you love to expand points far beyond what was originally said.. nah. I tried engaging with you before, but the goalposts kept shifting, and I progressively got frustrated because we moved to the point where I was arguing on things I hadn't contributed myself.

So. Nope. While I respect you, and I enjoy others (who are better at this than I am) engaging with you.. I won't be jumping down any rabbit holes with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I was taught by the Christian Brothers, not widely known for sparing the rod!

There’s a difference between a good hiding for misbehaving and the assault committed against this wee boy. The description is chilling.

And now that maniac gets to treat people.
    I've a female relation who was caned for less when she was younger - by her apparently highly respectable RAF officer father. Belts and wooden spoons seem to have been practically the norm here at the same time. Again amongst the most genteel types, who would express shock and forgetfulness on hearing about the same things today. I'm not sure I see the distinction.

What I don't see are any of the people who were on the receiving end carrying out the same thing with their own kids, or children in their care. And I wouldn't make any allowance for them if they did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

So ?

That is not my fault. How am I responsible ?, and under what level of mental illness should I manifest some warped catholic guilt over something that was done by people who ceased existing before I was born. ?

Why should any person today who pay taxes see their money go to people simply because they are black and their great great grandparents were supposedly slaves.

As mentioned earlier, Slave trading was not a "whitey invention", it went on long before and after "whitey" started.

We Irish were treated like slaves, did the donkey work that built the UK for the most part, you wont see me going around feeling "owed" because my great great grandparent by ****ed over by some royal duishbag, because I am not a victim complex suffering person looking for a handout.

No one denies what happened was wrong, but the ones crying today are not now or ever were victims of slavery, in fact they are more likely to encounter slavery in Africa today, but that tends to be hushed up because it does not fit the agenda.

why let things like facts and truth get in the way of a load of pc bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Based on some recent posts, I guess this thread is the next target for the "close down" mob (of a handful of posters).

One could ask the question who would be the biggest financial supporter of a discussion medium like Boards; posters who want to shut down discussions or an overwhelming amount of people who would like an open discussion on topics that may be controversial. From a business perspective, the answer is obvious.

Advertisement