Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ireland, is an island. Of which there are two states... the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

smartz wrote: »
    Actually he's right. The Republic of Ireland is the name of the national soccer team, not the country.

:confused:

Two countries on one island.

The Republic of Ireland Bill 1948 states...

“ it is hereby declared that the description of the state shall be The Republic Of Ireland “

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Strumms wrote: »
    The Republic of Ireland Bill 1948 states...

“ it is hereby declared that the description of the state shall be The Republic Of Ireland “

Your are wrong

The constitution trumps any act of government and article 4 of the constitution included below so you know what the name of the country is in future.

THE STATE

ARTICLE 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en/html

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

This chap from Identity Ireland makes a lot of good points.

• Advertisement

It’s just a great pity we are not of the ability to limit when we want to, need to and have to. Nobody is saying NO we don’t want to help... it’s simply prudent and responsible to say that the help and facilitation of help towards those who need it / want it..needs to be our decision, how when, where and how much we give... but everything gets decided by bureaucrats in Europe. Men and women who will never have to fight for hospital treatment, housing or funding for their treatments or businesses.... our futures are now decided by office jockeys, hundreds / thousands of miles away... no clue about our needs, wants or struggles... “ others need it more, you’ll gift it to them”.. marvelous, thanks.

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s just a great pity we are not of the ability to limit when we want to, need to and have to. Nobody is saying NO we don’t want to help... it’s simply prudent and responsible to say that the help and facilitation of help towards those who need it / want it..needs to be our decision, how when, where and how much we give... but everything gets decided by bureaucrats in Europe. Men and women who will never have to fight for hospital treatment, housing or funding for their treatments or businesses.... our futures are now decided by office jockeys, hundreds / thousands of miles away... no clue about our needs, wants or struggles... “ others need it more, you’ll gift it to them”.. marvelous, thanks.

Yeah it must be really tough for people in Cork having the laws decided for them by office jockeys hundreds of miles away in Dublin. The poor craturs.

Yeah it must be really tough for people in Cork having the laws decided for them by office jockeys hundreds of miles away in Dublin. The poor craturs.

A lot further away then Dublin my friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Your are wrong

The constitution trumps any act of government and article 4 of the constitution included below so you know what the name of the country is in future.

THE STATE

ARTICLE 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en/html

The law is based on the constitution, not the other way around.
    The constitution is nothing more than a framework to drape laws on, and you're giving it a lot more weight than it actually has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

This is going to get interesting . How come back in the day we had very little inward immigration 15% unemployment a recession and still pensions were paid . There more on private pensions now than in the 70's and 80's . To bring in more migrants where are the jobs and houses ?
    When those migrants get pensions maybe 8 million more are required .!! A ponzi scheme in the making .

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwia5fb346zuAhXtSxUIHSTwBu0QFjAAegQIBhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.ie%2Fbusiness%2Fpersonal-finance%2Fireland-needs-four-million-migrants-to-sustain-state-pension-system-39985277.html&usg=AOvVaw2udT6tHztuH8TZ3jCV2u7h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

CruelCoin wrote: »
    The constitution is nothing more than a framework to drape laws on, and you're giving it a lot more weight than it actually has.
    The law is not just based on the constitution, it is derived from and governed by.
    If there is a conflict between an act and the constitution, the constitution takes precedence.

The weight he is giving it is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You need to have the NPC programmer change your regional settings from the US to Ireland :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

There's literally nothing that has more legal weight than a constitution.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The name of the country is Ireland or Éire.

If a law or act of government contradicts the constitution the law is declared unconstitutional and unenforceable.

The constitution is the higher authority over acts of government and can only be amended by a referendum of the people. Unlike an act of government which only needs the sitting government to ratify and enact

Honestly for a bunch of people so concerned about their country and da foreigners ruining it you would think you would have a basic understating of how it works.
    This is really basic stuff

Name of country is ireland or Éire
    Constitution of Ireland > laws of ireland

The name of the country is Ireland or Éire.

If a law or act of government contradicts the constitution the law is declared unconstitutional and unenforceable.

Then why hasn't that contradictory law of 1949 been declared unconstitutional?

Then why hasn't that contradictory law of 1949 been declared unconstitutional?

Do you really not understand or are you just playing stupid?

If you don't understand the difference between "A legal description" and a "Name" I'm not sure I can explain it to you in any more basic terms than those words.

Honestly wikipedia covers this very very clearly so perhaps you should go and educate yourself on what is the name of the country before arguing about what it is.

To make it easier here is a link to the wikipedia article on the Republic of Ireland act https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_Act_1948#:~:text=22%20of%201948)%20is%20an,of%20the%20Government%20of%20Ireland.

And here is the text from that page in relation to the section of the act which states the setting of the legal Decription
    Republic of Ireland Description
    Main article: Names of the Irish state
    Section 2 of the Act quite simply provides:

It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland.

Notably, the Act did not change the official name of the state. It merely provided the description for the State. The Constitution of Ireland provides that Éire (or Ireland in English) is the official name of the State and, if the Act had purported to change the name, it would have been unconstitutional as it was not a constitutional amendment. The distinction between a description and a name has sometimes caused confusion. The Taoiseach, John A. Costello, who introduced the Republic of Ireland Bill in the Oireachtas, explained the difference in the following way:[9]

If I say that my name is Costello and that my description is that of senior counsel, I think that will be clear to anybody who wants to know. If the Senator [Helena Concannon] will look at Article 4 of the Constitution she will find that the name of the State is Éire. Section 2 of this Bill declares that "this State shall be described as the Republic of Ireland." Its name in Irish is Éire and in the English language, Ireland. Its description in the English language is "the Republic of Ireland."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

I always hated the name "Republic of Ireland" - really made us out to be second class citizens in Europe. I mean who else in Europe was "the republic of...." - The BEEB was murder for this as well as removing 26 County Ireland for it's weather forecast. Remember this lol

8279512798_2d7f975dc8_b.jpg.95de2874c1fef96d0ad23d84acbff540.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Its a pedantic side argument by some poster,
    Very few if any from within this nation call our country Eire imo,

Ireland
    The Republic of Ireland
    The Republic (when referring to this Country in some way already)
    are all used,
    Ive heard others and I know what they are saying,
    as this isnt some legal or constitutional debate, then its not relevant

No one, unless they were completely clueless, or doing it intentionally would mistake us for another nation

the Republic of "insert name of another nation here"

Asus X540L wrote: »
    I always hated the name "Republic of Ireland" - really made us out to be second class citizens in Europe. I mean who else in Europe was "the republic of...." - The BEEB was murder for this as well as removing 26 County Ireland for it's weather forecast. Remember this lol

In fact the only place where the legal name for this state being the republic of Ireland is in fact in British law.

I think its the Ireland Act that is relevant in the british state.

1874 wrote: »
    Its a pedantic side argument by some poster,
    Very few if any from within this nation call our country Eire imo,

Ireland
    The Republic of Ireland
    The Republic (when referring to this Country in some way already)
    are all used,
    Ive heard others and I know what they are saying,
    as this isnt some legal or constitutional debate, then its not relevant

No one, unless they were completely clueless, or doing it intentionally would mistake us for another nation

the Republic of "insert name of another nation here"

What utter tosh.
    The original poster I responded to was getting his knickers in a twist that some big bad foreign bogey men were going to make the nation change its name from ROI. I pointed out that wasn't actually the name of the state and presented either Ireland or Éire as the correct state names and since then we have had several pages of people trying to argue the constitution is not important or that Ireland and Éire are not the names of this state in both english and Irish respectively.

It is a fact and matter of constitutional law that the name of the state is Ireland or Éire.
    Furthermore no big bad bogey men domestic or foreign can make the state change its name. That can only be done by the will of the people via referendum.

If you prefer to use the name the british use to call this nation so be it but I will not stop calling this state Ireland or Éire and will contradict anyone who says the name is something else. Because it is not, the name of this state is Éire or Ireland.

• Advertisement

Do you really not understand or are you just playing stupid?

To make it easier here is a link to the wikipedia article on the Republic of Ireland act https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_Act_1948#:~:text=22%20of%201948)%20is%20an,of%20the%20Government%20of%20Ireland.

And here is the text from that page in relation to the section of the act which states the setting of the legal Decription

Thanks, clears it up for me.

Though the ad hominem wasn't needed. "Unpleasant" doesn't need to be your default.

Whereas, I like the term "Republic of Ireland" because it adds gravitas when abroad and dealing with foreign officials. The shorter name of Eire (which nobody has heard of) or Ireland, doesn't carry the same kind of weight.

As for the discussion above, I don't really care. I use the "Republic" to distinguish between the South and the North, because saying Ireland often places you as being British in the minds of foreigners. It's simply easier to say the Republic of Ireland because it avoids the association with Britain.

8279512798_2d7f975dc8_b.jpg.95de2874c1fef96d0ad23d84acbff540.jpg

This is still the norm though for forecasts on the BBC and other channels?

Thanks, clears it up for me.

Though the ad hominem wasn't needed. "Unpleasant" doesn't need to be your default.

I wasn't being unpleasant. I stated a fact you contradicted me seemingly without checking if you are right. So I enquired whether you were being deliberately obtuse or just misinformed.

I wasn't being unpleasant. I stated a fact you contradicted me seemingly without checking if you are right. So I enquired whether you were being deliberately obtuse or just misinformed.

I disagree, your style of posting is condescending and hostile, your posts sound/read angry.
    As you seem to not think so, maybe you should take note, highlighted by another poster also.

I disagree, your style of posting is condescending and hostile, your posts sound/read angry.
    As you seem to not think so, maybe you should take note, highlighted by another poster also.

Was I incorrect in anything I said?

Was I incorrect in anything I said?

imo its off topic and you were hostile, so whether you were incorrect or not is irrelevant, as my comment/post was on your posting style, unpleasant covers it, so would "sounds angry".

fyi

imo its off topic and you were hostile, so whether you were incorrect or not is irrelevant, as my comment/post was on your posting style, unpleasant covers it, so would "sounds angry".

fyi

You are now persisting in ad hominem attacks rather than debate my points on a discussion forum, yet you think I am hostile . Very interesting :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

/QUOTE]

BBC online news still refers to us as the 'Irish Republic'

• Advertisement

Jesus lads. What has this last few pages of squabbling about the name of the country got to do with multiculturalism?

Advertisement