Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

where is the proof people have specifically targeted those groups ?

I personally dont care what color, sex, creed, etc anyone is if they come here and work and contribute.

by the same token I dont care what color sex creed etc anyone is if the come here to sponge, it is not a race issue, its a financial issue, but because it does not suit the agenda of some it is being twisted to make it appear that is is a race issue

See my reply to klaz.
    If these countries are not the issue then why were they explicitly highlighted as not being included in the Makeup of Australian immigrants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Isn't that just the European countries in that study and not all European countries?

It's the European countries surveyed.

If the anti-immigrant attitudes of more East European countries were factored in, the numbers would probably look even more dramatic.

I do

, but they are more strict than here.

I am all for people coming here to work, go to all the restaurants, see the foreigner cooks, staff, go to the hospitals see the different nationalities all working, all welcome additions to this country.

My issue is the thousands of unskilled workers with no jobs coming here from places like lagos, ending up on housing estates living on handouts, that I pay for, whilst our own citizens on the housing list get jumped.

And poor people with no prospects are more likely to resort to crime, its not rocket science.

I have already pointed out the unskilled /uneducated inference was not supported by the report Wibb's linked yesterday. Have you got an additional source on this. Wibbs study explicitly stated education/skills did not explain the disparity to future employment prospects.
    Again I can only base what I am saying on the data provided.

Invidious wrote: »
    It's the European countries surveyed.

If the anti-immigrant attitudes of more East European countries were factored in, the numbers would probably look even more dramatic.

Equally though Ireland is not included in the study which for the purpose of our discussion would be most useful would it not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I have already pointed out the unskilled /uneducated inference was not supported by the report Wibb's linked yesterday. Have you got an additional source on this. Wibbs study explicitly stated education/skills did not explain the disparity to future employment prospects.
    Again I can only base what I am saying on the data provided.

why do you need a study to comprehend what I am saying ?

I dont want poor people coming here, draining the system, leeching of the state, taking the housing etc.
    Again its not a race issue it is a financial issue.

• Advertisement

So recent posts have indicated that most posters do not have an issue with multiculturalism so long as it excludes black Africans and Asian Muslims. Would this be fair to say?

Oof...

That's a shocking take.

Accuse people of racism and islamaphobia if you have proof to back it up instead of tarring people with the vaguest of brush strokes.

This is why unskilled workers are not a good addition to this or any european country,
    Australia have the right idea, I have no doubt because the australian government is doing what a proper government should do and put its own welfare and that of its citizens first, some wannabe woke liberal will try to claim its all racism or some other nonsense.

Pity we did not have a government that would represent the people that put them in power in the first place

Eh we have a democratically elected government surely if they don't represent the people they won't be reelected. Or if anti immigration was such a hot topic then an anti immigration party would top the polls. So perhaps the elected government is representative of the people.

why do you need a study to comprehend what I am saying ?

I dont want poor people coming here, draining the system, leeching of the state, taking the housing etc.
    Again its not a race issue it is a financial issue.

Because to be honest you are a nobody why would I take the word of a random stranger on the Internet?

Another issue here is the effort to represent those who want fewer immigrants in their countries as the "far right," when that's actually the majority position now across Europe.

Another issue is the desire (by some) to talk about immigration as a whole, while ignoring the differences between the different groups.

Very few people will have any objection to genuine Asylum seekers (fleeing persecution), or qualified economic migrants. However, many will have objections to low skilled workers. And yet, for the last few pages, the discussion has been about immigration or being anti-immigration as a whole, rather than recognising the differences between those groups involved and their motivations for coming to Western nations.

Oof...

That's a shocking take.

Accuse people of racism and islamaphobia if you have proof to back it up instead of tarring people with the vaguest of brush strokes.

Sadly today if you say anything about people and they are non white, all logic, reasoning etc go out the window and the race card is played.
    If they dont like your merit based reasons or whatever, just call people racist, I have seen it on here in countless threads.

be it about travelers and crime, kamala harris in the election, anything, it dont matter, people will accuse people of racism on here without a reason or imply there is racism going on in a more blatant attempt at subtlety

• Advertisement

Oof...

That's a shocking take.

Who did I accuse and when?

Equally though Ireland is not included in the study which for the purpose of our discussion would be most useful would it not?

Do you really expect Ireland to differ dramatically from the other countries surveyed?

Because to be honest you are a nobody why would I take the word of a random stranger on the Internet?

Maybe for the same reason you are replying to me.

I know people like you, quick to try to castigate anyone that dares have an opinion that differs.

I can assure you I am not racist, and if you actually read what is written you will see i have no issue with any color, race, creed sex etc.
    You have no argument to the financial reasons so you opt to make it about race.

Another issue is the desire (by some) to talk about immigration as a whole, while ignoring the differences between the different groups.

Very few people will have any objection to genuine Asylum seekers (fleeing persecution), or qualified economic migrants. However, many will have objections to low skilled workers. And yet, for the last few pages, the discussion has been about immigration or being anti-immigration as a whole, rather than recognising the differences between those groups involved and their motivations for coming to Western nations.

OK what makes these groups different?
    What makes some good and some bad?

So recent posts have indicated that most posters do not have an issue with multiculturalism so long as it excludes black Africans and Asian Muslims. Would this be fair to say?

From reading the whole thread, this appears to be the general consensus. There is one poster who Seems to be against any other nationality, but he's honest about it.

I know people like you, quick to try to castigate anyone that dares have an opinion that differs.

I can assure you I am not racist, and if you actually read what is written you will see i have no issue with any color, race, creed sex etc.

You don't know me Justin, you don't know the slightest thing about me.
    Very defensive there Justin where exactly did I call you racist?

Then I'm confused by the suggestions that Australia gets the right type of immigrants and statements to effect of no Asian Muslim and Africans in their immigrants.

Australia is "now" generally very careful about it's immigration, focusing on skilled immigration who have sponsors lined up prior to arrival. Even with sponsors, remaining in Australia isn't assured and needs to be backed up by the sponsors to ensure that the immigrant is needed. Residency has a cap depending on the region. I know.. I lived there for just over a year, and my application for residency hit the cap limit.

The point being that the right type of migrant is educated to a standard to be gainfully employed, and remain employed during their stay in the country, thereby avoiding the expense of the government having to support them.
    What was the meaning of those statements and do you speak on behalf of all posters now Klaz?

Did I say I was representing all of them? However, let me point out something. You've made a variety of statements about the opinions of posters to this thread, regarding immigration, and you made no attempt to avoid generalising... so it appears you're perfectly happy to apply double standards when it's convenient for you. Perhaps you should think about that for a moment?
    I'm not multi linking the posts as I'm now posting from my phone but if need be I will tomorrow to prove they have been said in recent pages.

Sure you will... more likely, you'll be back to reading between the lines... but I'll wait with bated breath for your analysis and proof. (Although again, there is that double standard, where you're perfectly happy to apply the statements of a few posters as representative of the whole.)

bubblypop wrote: »
    From reading the whole thread, this appears to be the general consensus. There is one poster who Seems to be against any other nationality, but he's honest about it.

You can't even ask most posters here simple questions about the sources they present without being accused of racism. I mean it's your source why are you getting so defensive when I read it and ask questions.
    Is asking questions and answering questions not the very purpose of a discussion forum.

You don't know me Justin, you don't know the slightest thing about me.
    Very defensive there Justin where exactly did I call you racist?

you made the claim people were against black africans and asian muslims, therefore implying a racial reason to peoples argument where none existed.

I think its fair to say the vast majority on here are not racist, its not even a race issue but a financial one.

now whether you are specifically choosing to ignore this to put forward your agenda, I dont know

bubblypop wrote: »

Who is that? Which nationality?

• Advertisement

Australia is "now" generally very careful about it's immigration, focusing on skilled immigration who have sponsors lined up prior to arrival. Even with sponsors, remaining in Australia isn't assured and needs to be backed up by the sponsors to ensure that the immigrant is needed. Residency has a cap depending on the region. I know.. I lived there for just over a year, and my application for residency hit the cap limit.

The point being that the right type of migrant is educated to a standard to be gainfully employed, and remain employed during their stay in the country, thereby avoiding the expense of the government having to support them.

Did I say I was representing all of them? However, let me point out something. You've made a variety of statements about the opinions of posters to this thread, regarding immigration, and you made no attempt to avoid generalising... so it appears you're perfectly happy to apply double standards when it's convenient for you. Perhaps you should think about that for a moment?

Sure you will... more likely, you'll be back to reading between the lines... but I'll wait with bated breath for your analysis and proof. (Although again, there is that double standard, where you're perfectly happy to apply the statements of a few posters as representative of the whole.)

If I upset you. You know you don't have to respond to my posts.

Who is that? Which nationality?

Not you

you made the claim people were against black africans and asian muslims, therefore implying a racial reason to peoples argument where none existed.

I think its fair to say the vast majority on here are not racist, its not even a race issue but a financial one.

now whether you are specifically choosing to ignore this to put forward your agenda, I dont know

Justin I was asking a question. Trying to get the thread back into discussion and away from the personal abuse.

Do you really expect Ireland to differ dramatically from the other countries surveyed?

Yes

It is about race it is very clearly about other races. What is implied by the term multiculturalism?

Yes

On what basis?

It is about race it is very clearly about other races. What is implied by the term multiculturalism?

Multiple cultures.

On what basis?

I said a prayer and God told me so.
    Or
    The survey I linked earlier included Ireland and indicated a positive attitude towards immigration

Multiple cultures.

multiculturalism
    /ˌmʌltɪˈkʌltʃ(ə)r(ə)lɪz(ə)m/
    noun
    the presence of, or support for the presence of, several distinct cultural or ethnic groups within a society.

Is race not another word for ethnic groups?
    Or do you need me to get another definition that includes the word race?

• Advertisement

Who did I accuse and when?

You accused "most recent posters".

Or do you have a special meaning of racism and islamaphobia?

I honestly couldn't tell as the goalposts seem to shift whenever you want them to.

Advertisement