Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Scoondal wrote: »
    I like multiculturalism in Ireland. It shakes things up a bit. It's nice.

I'm a big fan of multi culturism. The type where people come here and make a life for themselves and get involved in their local community. Plenty of resident non national attend my local parkrun. I've volunteered with Spaniards, Polish, English, Scottish, Ghanaian, Nigerians. All really positive contributions to their local community.

None of them think Ireland owes them anything. None of them believe Ireland should hand them a successful business or a handy job etc. They all work and work hard and are very happy to make an effort on a Saturday morning in their local park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

even as a joke
    Jesus wept. Give a friend a red marker, get a foam bat. Tell him your going to him him with it, and to see if he can mark you with the marker before he gets hit. Make sure your not wearing any nice clothes.

With me, more than likely, but with a member of the ERU, never mind+ 3 of them?? Armed with baseball bats??? I dont think so....those guys practice and train for situations like this. i know people who train for and have been involved in close combat.. But I dont know any one of them that I'd like to even try to put a mark on his clean white shirt even as a joke... these guys go from being nice and friendly to high alert in a fraction of a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

jmreire wrote: »
    even as a joke

With me, more than likely, but with a member of the ERU, never mind+ 3 of them?? Armed with baseball bats??? I dont think so....those guys practice and train for situations like this. i know people who train for and have been involved in close combat.. But I dont know any one of them that I'd like to even try to put a mark on his clean white shirt even as a joke... these guys go from being nice and friendly to high alert in a fraction of a second.

If you are less than 3 foot from someone with a knife who’s actively trying to stab you, chances are you’ll be stabbed/slashed. No matter how alert you are.

bubblypop wrote: »
    And would the maniac with the knife pause for a few mins while the members run over to the car and get out whichever weapon is next in the list?

When they left the vehicle, they had everything that they thought they would need to contain the situation...
    Hand held radio? Yes. Handcuffs? Yes. Baton? Yes. Tazers? Yes. Pepper spray? Yes. Glock pistol? Yes. I'm not sure what else they are legally allowed to use, but thats a pretty extensive list. And it can all be carried by one man. And they drive large 4x4 vehicles that can go cross country.

When they left the vehicle, they had everything that they thought they would need to contain the situation...
    Hand held radio? Yes. Handcuffs? Yes. Baton? Yes. Tazers? Yes. Pepper spray? Yes. Glock pistol? Yes. I'm not sure what else they are legally allowed to use, but thats a pretty extensive list. And it can all be carried by one man. And they drive large 4x4 vehicles that can go cross country.

And what room do you think there is left on a belt when you have all of the listed items already in it? (btw, gardai don't use glocks)
    Gardai don't need 3 or 4 more types of weapons, they have enough. Less lethal and lethal.

All of this is totally off topic in a thread about multiculturalism.

• Advertisement

If you are less than 3 foot from someone with a knife who’s actively trying to stab you, chances are you’ll be stabbed/slashed. No matter how alert you are.

Sure, thats what happens with the ordinary guy, and more than likely when he's not expecting it. But its a different situation when a knife wielding ( and unprofessional ) individual takes on a profesional close combat expert, who is expecting to be attacked and who happens to be holding a baseball bat at that.I know who Id be betting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of multi culturism. The type where people come here and make a life for themselves and get involved in their local community. Plenty of resident non national attend my local parkrun. I've volunteered with Spaniards, Polish, English, Scottish, Ghanaian, Nigerians. All really positive contributions to their local community.

None of them think Ireland owes them anything. None of them believe Ireland should hand them a successful business or a handy job etc. They all work and work hard and are very happy to make an effort on a Saturday morning in their local park.

Yes ... my immigrant wife is all about that. I just want a quiet life but she is doing meet ups, lunches, kids in scouts. I'm too old but I like it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think everyone would he a fan of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And what room do you think there is left on a belt when you have all of the listed items already in it? (btw, gardai don't use glocks)

Sig sauer P226s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

And would the maniac with the knife pause for a few mins while the members run over to the car and get out whichever weapon is next in the list?

Is your point that the Gardaí aren't properly trained to do their job?

• Advertisement

Gardai don't need 3 or 4 more types of weapons, they have enough. Less lethal and lethal.

All of this is totally off topic in a thread about multiculturalism.

Yes, you are right that the Guards don't use Glock's., and as has been pointed out, they use the Sig Saur P226..I'm getting them mixed up with other security force's where the Glock are the weapon of choice....Ironically, the Swiss Guards in the Vatican use them, Plus many other Countrys as well.

Yes ... my immigrant wife is all about that. I just want a quiet life but she is doing meet ups, lunches, kids in scouts. I'm too old but I like it also.

And she and others like her are more than welcome

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-and-hungarian-ministers-clash-over-eu-action-on-rule-of-law-1.4474587

"Hungary and Poland are being subjected to “political blackmailing” by the EU under the cover of arguments about the rule of law, the Hungarian minister for justice told an event organised by the Institute of International and European Affairs in Dublin on Tuesday.

Judit Varga said the real difference between her country and most other EU member states was about political opinion on issues such as migration.

“In the end of the day there is a real difference, in that we don’t want to make Europe an immigrant continent.”

She was speaking at an online event which was also addressed by the Minister of State with responsibility for EU affairs Thomas Byrne."

I like multiculturalism in Ireland. It shakes things up a bit. It's nice.

Up to a point. Where is the line where it becomes too much and it "shakes things up" a bit too much?

This is the utopian vision even the most hard-hearted people would love to see. When numbers are small and people act as individuals rather than groups, then multiculturalism works very well and makes everyone feel good.

However when you look at multicultural societies with bigger populations, while there are undoubtedly some nice anecdotal stories, there is also a lot of division and tension among the various "tribes".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This is a good summary of the issues that come with multiculturalism

https://twitter.com/Joyce_OO4/status/1354402089598918658

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Effects wrote: »
    Is your point that the Gardaí aren't properly trained to do their job?

They are extremely well trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Cordell

Shaking things up is nice. Bombs shake things up also, and people losing their heads :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I think scoondal fancies himself as a bit of a rabble rouser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

A little bit of spice is wonderful, it makes everything so much better. But too much ruins the whole thing, and you end up like the US now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

individual takes on a profesional close combat expert.

Ok they all get training, but lets not get carried away and start calling them Jackie Chan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

biko wrote: »
    I'd like to see some source for your claims, particularly Irish people spreading "like rats", which sounds very racist to me (and to PETA recently)

Oh come on, "rats" is an unfortunate choice of word, but Ireland does have an enormous diaspora. That's no secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd love to see the scrapping of multiple citizenships and passports ,
    Grant honary citizenship if you bring so many jobs or do something amazing over a number of years ,but give it no legal standing ,
    And yes we have signed treaties but highly unlikely with states our asylum seekers tend to come from ,
    The story I high lighted about a Nigerian artist previously had his Nigerian , South Africa and now he will likely get his Irish citizenship ,yet we can't remove citizenship or protection even with multiple criminal convictions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Oh come on, "rats" is an unfortunate choice of word, but Ireland does have an enormous diaspora. That's no secret.

It’s an inaccurate choice of word Irish have never been remotely comparable to rats; that would suggest a general populace spilling over into the hundreds of millions / billions more than unable to be catered for living densely packed in slums and the like we have never come remotely close to that. You full well know the places that bring to mind that sort of comparison, we have never even come remotely close to that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

They are extremely well trained.

But you think they can’t do their job properly and have to go back to that car cause they forgot something they needed?

Or you think they just should just cut to the chase and go straight for a gun?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As Irish people who spread like rats across the world its a reality its time we paid back and let people come here.

Simple really, besides most so called immigrants work when they arrive.

And they offer a handy excuse for the doley lifers - its win win from what i can see.
    This old chestnut. Again? When Irish people "spread like rats" in the vast majority of cases they went to ex colonial New World nations that were built on immigration. Ireland is not an ex colonial New World nation. Those same nations today BTW have far stricter entry requirements.

The same nations had little or no social welfare it was sink or swim. Ireland has one of the most attractive social welfare systems on the planet.

The same nations needed bodies for settlers and manual labour. Ireland is a knowledge based economy. The numbers required for unskilled labour can't begin to compare to 19th, even up to the middle 20th century America.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Effects wrote: »
    But you think they can’t do their job properly and have to go back to that car cause they forgot something they needed?

Or you think they just should just cut to the chase and go straight for a gun?

I'm trying to explain to you how it's impossible for any member to carry all that equipment, you are the one who suggested they have big vehicles to carry the equipment. Hence the question, 'do you think they should ask the maniac to wait while they go back to the car to get the next piece of equipment'?

They dont go straight for a gun, gardai have a baton, pepper spray, certain members have tasers and also guns.
    There is a use of force policy in AGS, and all trained firearms members are extremely well trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wibbs wrote: »
    This old chestnut. Again? When Irish people "spread like rats" in the vast majority of cases they went to ex colonial New World nations that were built on immigration. Ireland is not an ex colonial New World nation.
    There is a special hatred of Irish people and the Irish Nation as a whole when you have a poster actually writing on a public forum that we spread like "rats". Could have easily said "rabbits" if it was really necessary to compare us to animals, but by using "rats" with all its negative connotations, his opinion of Irish people is out there ...... front and centre.
    Nasty stuff.

No its not unfortunate , while you hide behind a false name, here on board's you are quite safe. However, next time you see a crowd of Irish gathered around , just jump into the middle of them and shout " The Irish around the world are like rats". But in that case, the outcome might be very unfortunate for you and your choice of words ,,,

• Advertisement

Ok they all get training, but lets not get carried away and start calling them Jackie Chan.

Had jackie Chan been there, would it have made a difference???

Advertisement